Caribou Gear Tarp

Griz attack

I do hunt in areas with griz and think they should be removed if they treat humans as prey. Even though this guy got attacked twice, if that bear was treating him as prey, he'd be dead. And "animal rights activist" is one of the funnier things I've been called.

Anytime I hear someone suggest that an animal might have more right to be outdoors than I, I figure they are only a bong hit or two from joining PETA.

De-listing won't stop them from expanding.

I agree. And I would expect many more problems because of it. A lot more people dead, a lot more people hurt, and a lot less people coming out there to hunt.

It might sound crazy but if hunter numbers start going down, it may not bode well for keeping the land out of the states hands. Worse, if someone of prominence loses a
relative, wife, or child who also supports state takeover then you may have an emotionally charged media-driven fight on your hands. And all they have to tell people
is "less taxes". Hell, they may not even have to tell them that. No one voted on Obummercare, after all.

These bears are dangerous. There are too many attacks for as few of them as there are. And, in my opinion, they are a liability to the future of the West.

I'd love to hear Mo's opinion's on rattlesnakes, cougars, black widows, refugees and ghosts.
I'm OK with putting any animal that has attached a human down but the wilds are not for everyone. That's precisely why I love them.

I'd love to hear Mo's opinion's on rattlesnakes, cougars, black widows, refugees and ghosts.
I'm OK with putting any animal that has attached a human down but the wilds are not for everyone. That's precisely why I love them.

I like em all except refugees. They Prolly do as much damage as griz. The rest rarely ever harm anyone. Many many more off them than griz and very few problems.

There is approximately 34000 more griz in Alaska than MT, and nearly the same population... surprisingly humans haven't gone extinct.

I'm surprised I made it to my truck this morning. A griz was spotted half a mile from my house.

I hope you don't live in an area that happens to have any of these monsters

Average Number of Deaths per Year in the U.S

Bee/Wasp 53
Dogs 31
Spider 6.5
Rattlesnake 5.5
Mountain lion 1
Shark 1
Alligator 0.3
Bear 0.5
Scorpion 0.5
Centipede 0.5
Elephant 0.25
Wolf 0.1
Horse 20
Bull 3

Number of deaths for leading causes of death:
Heart disease: 614,348
Cancer: 591,699
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 147,101
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 136,053
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 133,103
Alzheimer's disease: 93,541
Diabetes: 76,488
Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,227
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 48,146
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 42,773

It looks like you are many times more likely to be killed by, well, everything else. Skip the bacon cheeseburger and go hunt.

tough day in the woods, the comment his girlfriend made at the end of the story about his pickup looking like an elk was gutted in the front seat stuck out to me, he talked about hollering to alert bears he was in the area as he hiked , i was wondering if it was his holler that startled the sow and made her uneasy or feel threatened so she charged ? or if being quiet and hiking normal and seeing a bear then just leaving the area would have prevented this, guess we will never know. growing up in alaska we were in bear country all the time hunting and fishing , we always were packing, i remember being 12 salmon fishing with huge side arm half the size of my leg dad had me take , but he never told us yell out when we hunted hiked in to fish in remote areas , or even when we camped and i would run out on my own in the woods to explore. just a thought from my own experiences in bear country in alaska. that yelling vs being normal about your business in the woods , which is the best strategy

Last edited:
You're right. Like anything, theres bad ones, okay ones, good ones and great ones. They just make an easy punching bag I suppose
The bad ones are often 'landowners' and not 'ranchers'.

The ones that graze their BLM allottments into the dirt and then want FWP to pick up the elk control tab on their private land in the winter, after they've spent all hunting season denying access and charging $15k trophy fees for bulls are the ones that get under my skin.

tough day in the woods, the comment his girlfriend made at the end of the story about his pickup looking like an elk was gutted in the front seat stuck out to me, he talked about hollering to alert bears he was in the area as he hiked , i was wondering if it was his holler that startled the sow and made her uneasy or feel threatened so she charged ? or if being quiet and hiking normal and seeing a bear then just leaving the area would have prevented this, guess we will never know. growing up in alaska we were in bear country all the time hunting and fishing , we always were packing, i remember being 12 salmon fishing with huge side arm half the size of my leg dad had me take , but he never told us yell out when we hunted hiked in to fish in remote areas , or even when we camped and i would run out on my own in the woods to explore. just a thought from my own experiences in bear country in alaska. that yelling vs being normal about your business in the woods , which is the best strategy

I've wondered about making noise and yelling while hiking as well. It's something that I've never considered doing while in grizzly country while hunting or just hiking. I was taught to make as little noise as possible while moving through the woods. In this case, the trail that he was on had recently been closed because of a bear incident and I believe signs were posted at the trailhead warning about a sow with cubs. He doesn't say it, but I wonder if that's why he was saying "hey bear" while hiking?

I've wondered about making noise and yelling while hiking as well. It's something that I've never considered doing while in grizzly country while hunting or just hiking. I was taught to make as little noise as possible while moving through the woods. In this case, the trail that he was on had recently been closed because of a bear incident and I believe signs were posted at the trailhead warning about a sow with cubs. He doesn't say it, but I wonder if that's why he was saying "hey bear" while hiking?

animals can hear smell and see us plenty good on there own without no help from us :)

Oregon Chris: that yelling vs being normal about your business in the woods , which is the best strategy.

I was thinking the same thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back