Caribou Gear Tarp

Gritty Podcast 527: The future of hunting

I dont watch or listen to their podcasts anymore.

Besides, I always thought Brian Call was a little bit gay with his infatuation with "A-ron" Snyder. Really creepy to be honest...so I dont hold what he says with much weight.

In my personal dichotomy of the hunting social media types, guys like Snyder, Call, and Hanes all fall under the “Camo Daddy” category.

The focus of the conversation, hunter numbers in drastic decline in the Midwest. Not antler size. Obviously the fantastic whitetail hunting is not getting it done.

NY licence sales are down about 10% over the last 10 years....we have a 30 plus day rifle season state wide and even longer in the northern zone.
So it isnt rifles or the season length here. In fact most of the NE shows similar trends and seasons.

Acess and demographics, along with the tread that monatized all things deer and hunting is the main issues we are facing.

The constant blame of the state fish and game departments is tedious and makes us look ignorant. The fact is most of the fish and game departments are doing a decent job with what they have available to them.
Hunters need to look no further than themselves and stop blaming eveyone else.

I believe we've had this conversation before. I can't say anything except you are flat out wrong, especially when it comes to Iowa. I see some have already addressed many of the reasons why.

I see you dismissed the safety part which is the real reason rifles have never been allowed. Many party hunt here that can be dicey as it is. No one wants to add real rifles to that. Get rid of party hunting and numbers will fall farther. It's already on the decline in the age of the deer manager.

Many land owners would not allow rifle deer hunting on their land. If they allow anyone on it anyway. In a state that's less then 2% public that would be bad.

We don't need any more reasons to encourage leasing here.

In all my 47 years of living here I have never heard anyone seriously wish for rifle seasons here. For a little bit we had a late season antlerless only rifle hunt to knock down numbers in the only counties that it could be safely done. Some thought it was cool to take out there "real" rifle in their home state but once numbers were reached hunters demanded the season ended.

The last 2 years bills have been introduced trying to expand calibers legal into some necked cartridges. These bills are pushed by the Iowa Firearms Coalition which frames it as a 2A issue. They would not allow what most would think of as traditional deer calibers but would technically allow 375 H&H, a 416 Rigby or a 460 weatherby magnum and such. Hunters have roundly protested these bills.

The biggest hit to hunter numbers here is the lack of pheasants and again a place to hunt them.

If you need a rifle to kill a deer in Iowa you are a sucky hunter.

You proved my point perfectly, it's a culture issue. The reason you guys see rifles as dicey is because you cram everyone into a week. You are literally arguing that rifles are not appropriate for deer hunting. In reality, they are they most appropriate.

I believe we've had this conversation before. I can't say anything except you are flat out wrong, especially when it comes to Iowa. I see some have already addressed many of the reasons why.

I see you dismissed the safety part which is the real reason rifles have never been allowed. Many party hunt here that can be dicey as it is. No one wants to add real rifles to that. Get rid of party hunting and numbers will fall farther. It's already on the decline in the age of the deer manager.

Many land owners would not allow rifle deer hunting on their land. If they allow anyone on it anyway. In a state that's less then 2% public that would be bad.

We don't need any more reasons to encourage leasing here.

In all my 47 years of living here I have never heard anyone seriously wish for rifle seasons here. For a little bit we had a late season antlerless only rifle hunt to knock down numbers in the only counties that it could be safely done. Some thought it was cool to take out there "real" rifle in their home state but once numbers were reached hunters demanded the season ended.

The last 2 years bills have been introduced trying to expand calibers legal into some necked cartridges. These bills are pushed by the Iowa Firearms Coalition which frames it as a 2A issue. They would not allow what most would think of as traditional deer calibers but would technically allow 375 H&H, a 416 Rigby or a 460 weatherby magnum and such. Hunters have roundly protested these bills.

The biggest hit to hunter numbers here is the lack of pheasants and again a place to hunt them.

If you need a rifle to kill a deer in Iowa you are a sucky hunter.

Texas is all private and no access without $$$. Not an issue there. Same for Alabama, GA, FL

I would argue that loosening the seasons would give more reason for a person to spend on a yearly lease. Not my theory, just what I have observed first hand in the South.

Not sure if you're trying to say FL is all private but, per their website, Florida has one of the largest wildlife management area (WMA) systems in the country at nearly 6 million acres. FWC is the lead manager or landowner on over 1.4 million acres and works in partnership with other governmental or private landowners on another 4.5 million acres.

FL isn't an easy state to hunt, but there is quite a bit of public land.

Absolutely I understand it, the "we will all be shooting each other" argument comes up every time I have this conversation. I don't buy it for a second. I think perceptually the hunters of those states are conditioned to think season is a week long, where everyone is stacked on top of each other. I heard that in 1 week in Wisconsin, 1 million shots are fired. Ludicrous. Maybe the weapon isn't the issue and spreading out the hunters by offering actual longer seasons is. Just a guess.

Do you understand the reasoning for that regulation?

???

Yeah, no. Average property size in IA is minuscule compared to Western states. Short-range weapons fit the landscape and the ownership fine. I’ve lived in IA 12 years and have never heard anyone complain about not being able to hunt w/ high power. I have talked to MANY people who quit hunting because loss of access for deer and the high cost of access for pheasants.

Long firearm seasons on the little public we have would push all the deer onto private and/or destroy the age structure. I enjoy seeing mature bucks on public every year and so do many other hunters, including young and new hunters.

It's OK then Bushman, since you don't live in the Midwest you get a free pass on not understanding the dynamics of the hunting seasons here as well as the people, hunting styles, and traditions that go along with it. It's just too bad that you used Iowa as a state to try to make your point. If we put in a month long rifle season with any rifle you want to use I would surely recommend you stay in those other states for your own personal safety and the safety of others as well. I would be found at home, not even hunting the private land that I have free access to. Carry on :)

Absolutely I understand it, the "we will all be shooting each other" argument comes up every time I have this conversation. I don't buy it for a second. I think perceptually the hunters of those states are conditioned to think season is a week long, where everyone is stacked on top of each other. I heard that in 1 week in Wisconsin, 1 million shots are fired. Ludicrous. Maybe the weapon isn't the issue and spreading out the hunters by offering actual longer seasons is. Just a guess.
After the crops are out, IA is 80% bare earth. There is only so much habitat for deer. It doesn’t take long to hunt through the small pockets of cover. A week is more than enough

I hear you, I grew up hunting there. The public land hunting is not good and not easy to hunt. When I reference success and include FL, I'm talking private. People forget you can get on private land north of Big Cypress and continue down a private land corridor all they way up.

Not sure if you're trying to say FL is all private but, per their website, Florida has one of the largest wildlife management area (WMA) systems in the country at nearly 6 million acres. FWC is the lead manager or landowner on over 1.4 million acres and works in partnership with other governmental or private landowners on another 4.5 million acres.

FL isn't an easy state to hunt, but there is quite a bit of public land.

You proved my point perfectly, it's a culture issue. The reason you guys see rifles as dicey is because you cram everyone into a week. You are literally arguing that rifles are not appropriate for deer hunting. In reality, they are they most appropriate.
Oh brother. I proved nothing for you. Safety is not a cultural issue. Party hunting and deer drives are and it's obvious you've never been on one the way they're done around here. If you went and changed our "culture" by outlawing party hunting and deer drives, which is how a lot of people are even given a chance to hunt deer season, you would see numbers fall farther. Even if you gave them 2 months and a rifle.

Center fire, necked cartridge rifles are not appropriate or needed for deer hunting in Iowa. Nor is a 2 month long gun season.

I don't get why you have such a hard on to see rifles in Iowa. Like I said if someone needs a rifle to kill a deer here they are a bad hunter and a rifle won't help them. I really question what you know about Iowa and the terrain. I also question what you know about the capabilities of modern slug guns, muzzle loaders and straight wall rifles. How far do out do you need the deer before you shoot?

Traditions are leading to a sinking ship. My entire purpose of this post is to challenge the tradition.

My 270 is digging up dirt at 500 yards, I find it hard to believe accidental shootings would increase. The current number of shootings are most likely statistically insignificant and I would guess it would remain so with centerfires.

Guess what we do in other states when deer driving? We grab a shotgun or levergun, not because its mandated.

It's OK then Bushman, since you don't live in the Midwest you get a free pass on not understanding the dynamics of the hunting seasons here as well as the people, hunting styles, and traditions that go along with it. It's just too bad that you used Iowa as a state to try to make your point. If we put in a month long rifle season with any rifle you want to use I would surely recommend you stay in those other states for your own personal safety and the safety of others as well. I would be found at home, not even hunting the private land that I have free access to. Carry on :)

Back