Votes: 9 5.7%
  • Secret Ingredient

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Jonas how much have you had to drink?

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters
OK, I used grated cheddar because it was quick and simple. I think I may have gotten the grease a little too hot before putting the sandwich in the pan. As you can see the cheese didn't melt completely before the bread was fully toasted. The flavor was really good but not appreciatively different than a grilled cheese made with butter. The bread, however, was noticeably crispier than with butter. I liked that.
gc.JPG
One trick I learned some time ago when using butter, is to not put the butter on the bread. Instead melt the butter in the pan then put the sandwich in the melted butter. Before turning the sandwich, take it out of the pan, wipe the old butter out and add new butter before returning the sandwich to the pan to cook the other side.

My kinda thread.

A supposedly innocuous question with the potential to alight pure rage in any well mannered adult when answered “incorrectly”.

I’ve done the mayonnaise thing a few times after learning about it. Some of the best crust ive ever conjured up on a melty cheese snack.

Butter provides a flavor and extra dose of salt that’s hard to beat tho.

I’m split on them for now. But if I had to choose it’s butter. Real, grass fed, butter.

We're usually a bacon grease household but I will substitute smoked beef lard if it's available.

On the cheese front Tillamook is the only variety allowed, but if you really need the processed cheese melt characteristics you can "process your own" using sodium citrate (or really any culinary acid). We mostly use this for making queso

See here: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/nacho-cheese

Also if you’re ever in Couer d Alene, ID and you love a grilled cheese you have to go to Meltz

We hit CDA annually as the wife’s Lyme doc is there, always includes at least one trip to Meltz. I always opt for the Oinker or the Border Patrol but the Mrs has found her go to on the “secret menu” with the Briqueso (sp?) off their secret menu. Good ol gut bomb stuff right there👍🏻

Real butter is the only way to go, although I don’t think you could go wrong with bacon grease. Multiple kinds of cheese is a must. I like a sharp cheddar and havarti or Muenster with it. You've got to add ham too. And then sprinkle the buttered bread with a little garlic salt.

And yes, I'm 39 and I have grilled cheese all the time. If I'm out working and am not going to make it in I call my wife and she'll bring me a grilled cheese or two. It always hits the spot.

Back