Great morning in VA.

brownbear932008

I haven't taken a bird in a few years. Just haven't hunted much last few years in the spring. This morning I hit a spot that had been holding about a dozen or so long beards. Climbed to my high point and hooted and yelled nothing. Couldn't believe it honestly I was pretty shocked 😲

Finally about 8am I heard a faint gobble 4 ridges over. I made about an hour long walk over there and set up. I am very familiar with the area and knew right were the gobbles came from on a small strut zone on a hardwood flat. I set up on the opposing ridge in a walnut tree grove that I've seen Turkey's strut in also.

I sit out my hen decoy and found a hiding spot. I gave my best imitation of a sexy hen and the gobblers hit back. We went back and forth a time or two and then they shut up. I played the silent game for 15 or so minutes and not a peep. Hit the calls not a peep. I thought they are on the way. Waited another 15 minutes and gave a hard cackle and cluck. Boom they are just below me outta sight.

I wait a few more minutes and I see a tail fan and another head over the rise. I slowly raise my gun and put it on the decoy. There is a small tree to the right of my gun barrel. The birds are at my 3 o'clock and I suspect they will run straight to the decoy. Nope they knew within feet of were that hen should've been. They come directly at me from the 3 o'clock position and a tree against my gun barrel. At 10 yards both birds are strutting and drumming to my right and I'm stuck. They ignore my decoy and begin going behind me they finally end up straight behind me. I thought well it's gonna have to be a jump, swing, and shoot and quickly. I jumped one bird jumps in the air and back down and the strutter jumped and then just put his head up perfectly at 20 yards and it was over. I was torn up it was pretty awesome and the gobbler was beautiful. Sorry the pics aren't the best tough doing self timed shots with a cell.

Attachments

• 20200411_120327.jpg
    20200411_120327.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20200411_120208.jpg
    20200411_120208.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Yes sir!! Awesome. We doubled on a couple jakes this morning.
Man it was cold as heck up here 28* I think it shut them up for a little while. I should get lots of time in this spring. Hit the water the other day very few crappie being caught in upper lake. Caught one 4 lb large.

Last edited:
It pays to know your land and the habits of your quarry. Congratulations!
It sure does make things easier some days. I honestly didn't think they would come down the ridge and cross over to me. But I got lucky and they did that day.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back