Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Great chukar hunt!

Ithaca 37

We'd only walked about 1/4 mile when Scout went on point. I walked up to her and about twenty chukars flushed! BANG! One down. Bang! Another one goes down. Two swing down below me, curving around the hill and I see a chance to get them both with one shot. BANG! Only one drops, the other acts like I didn't touch a feather. Scout makes three great retrieves. We head in the direction the chukars went and after about 100 yards Scout starts acting birdy and then picks up a dead chukar and heads back to me. I didn't miss him after all!! Scout's about 40 yards in front of me and returning with the chukar when she swings around and locks into a beautiful point with the chukar in her mouth, steady as a rock! :D This is great! Everything has to be just right for that to happen and it only happens about every other year. Scout usually retrieves about three hundred birds a year---so you know how rare this is!!
I walk up to her practically shaking like a leaf I'm so anxious not to blow this shot!

The bird flushes and I swing and shoot! BLAM! Down comes the chukar!! Scout lays down the chukar in her mouth and runs to retrieve the one I just shot, brings it to me then goes back for the other one. :cool: She's cool as a cucumber about it! Another perfect retrieve and we sit down for a talk.

I pet her and hug her and tell her she's the best bird dog in the world and she says, "Thanks, but let's get going. We've got to get three more for a limit and I think I know where they are. "

Pretty soon she's birdy again and I can see her homing in on some scent when she locks into a beautiful point. I walk up, a covey flushes and BANG, BLAM, BOOM!! Three shots and three chukars fall out of the sky ! :D Three more retrieves and we head up the hill where my buddy just came into sight.

He has a Lab and hasn't seen a bird yet. While he's telling me about it Scout goes on point about a hundred yards away. We walk up to her and a covey flushes. He shoots, connects and Scout retrieves while the Lab runs around smelling all the bird scent. Well, we got my friend a few more birds before it was time to head back to the truck and meet up with our other friend.

Great day and the kind of hunt where everything goes better than perfect! :D I wish you all coulda seen it! It makes all the work to train a pointing dog well worth the effort!!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 11-11-2002 08:53: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Thanks guys! Here's pictures of Scout from another topic last winter:

http://www.huntandlodge.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=18&t=001716

Here's more pictures of pudelpointers:

http://www.versatiledogs.com/photos/pudelpt.html

As for the shooting; 8 chukars with 7 shots is the best I've ever done on them. I've only gone 8 for 8 a very few times. Generally, if I'm hitting 50% I think I'm having a great day! :D

I had some stock work done on my favorite shotgun (an Ithaca model 37, naturally) last Spring and it fits me so perfectly and it's shooting so well I'm amazed!! After lots of practicing with it this summer I'm so confident in it I'm really surprised when I miss! In the past I was usually surprised when I hit! :D I've been making fantastic shots this year that I usually would have missed. In fact, I've got 18 chukars so far and still haven't used a box of shells!

But yesterday's hunt was much more than I ever could have hoped for and I'll probably never have another day like that.

The biggest thrill was seeing Scout find the bird I thought I missed and then pointing another one with it in her mouth! It'll never get any better than that!!! :D

I had a more typical chukar hunt yesterday. Walked about 4 miles before Scout found some birds and pointed. As I approached two got up about 35 yards in front of her and I missed them both. As we followed them another bird flushed wild and I missed that one. Scout pointed again and I got two out of a covey of ten. Then my buddy up the hill from me shot and two birds came screaming down past me going about 90mph. I missed them both by a mile! It was hot and dry and the dogs were worn out and seeking shade after two and a half hours so we decided to head for the truck. Another wild single flushed on the way back. Scout wasn't anywhere near it. I got off a long shot (45 yards) and connected. The bird set it's wings and glided to the bottom of the hill about three hundred yards away. Scout and I went that direction and in about twenty minutes she found it. My buddy got one bird yesterday and I got three with 8 shots! Actually, that's not bad when the birds are flushing wild and far out. I'd be content going 3 for 8 any day like that!

Terrible scenting conditions made for a tough hunt---hot, dry and no wind. Great fun, though, and I can't wait to go again. Any day with Scout and a few birds is terrific and beats anything else I could have been doing! :D

Walked about 400 yards today and Scout threw a great point. I got real close and a covey of Hungarian Partridge flushed. Surprised me so much I only got off one shot and got one Hun. Heard some chukars way up at the top of the hill so went after them. All the cover had been grazed off and they wouldn't hold. Nothin' but wild flushes all the rest of the day and only could get off a couple of long shots. Didn't hit them. Ended up walking for three hours in real steep terrain, all for nothin' but the exercize! :D But we had a great time, as usual. Scout's layin' by my feet as I type this---snoring like Rip Van Winkle!
I'm heading to CA tomorrow for some business meetings for a few days.

Weather conditions will be better by the next time I hunt in about a week and from now on the hunting should be a lot better. Better scenting conditions and easier on me and Scout when it's not so darn hot!

Ron, Nothing like a bunch of cows to ruin the hunting, even if they're long gone. Tried a place a week ago that's usually real good. Overgrazed as hell this year. Lots of birds but no cover to hold them so it was a frustrating day.

My own observation over the years is that taking the cattle out of an area for even two years not only at least doubles the chukar and hun population, but the birds hold so much better it's usually great hunting with a dog.

I'm sure a big part of the population increase is because of better cover for the young birds to hide in. That's the same thing they find about fawn mule deer and antelope survival every time they do a study on the effects of grazing. Give the young birds and animals some cover to hide in and the predators aren't nearly as effective. In fact, I'm starting to believe that's one of the major problems causing the drop in mule deer populations everywhere.

Haven't seen or talked to Glen in a year. Great guy , but it's just too inconvenient trying to hook up with somebody as far away as he is for frequent hunting.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back