Grasshoppers

Brittany Chukarman

You guys in Montana that had the grasshopper horde last year, did they come back? We have them this year like I've never seen before. Not so bad on the irrigated ground but anything dry is covered with them. There was a good hatch on the quail and the chicks are feasting on them.

First thought the mention of grasshoppers always brings to mind is a 10-year old boy chasing them around until capturing one, slipping a #4 or #6 Eagle Claw under the exoskeleton of its thorax, and gently flipping the kicking insect into the water next to a fallen log in the inlet of the local fishing pond. #King

I’m sorry I digress.

First thought the mention of grasshoppers always brings to mind is a 10-year old boy chasing them around until capturing one, slipping a #4 or #6 Eagle Claw under the exoskeleton of its thorax, and gently flipping the kicking insect into the water next to a fallen log in the inlet of the local fishing pond. #King

I’m sorry I digress.
I'm right there with you. First thing I thought of was fishing. Bedded bluegill, high mountain lakes with brookies and rainbows in creeks. Great memories with Dad.

They really came on the last month in eastern Montana. A lot more for them to eat this year.

Back