Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

grand slam question

skimerhorn

I've decided to try to get a turkey grand slam over the next few years. Since I live in va I'm Goin to start with a eastern turkey, and go from there. I'd like to call them all in myself, or at least try. My question is how do I go about registering for it? And for those of you that have done it is there any particular order you found easier? It is a real goal to get all of them by me calling them in. Any help would be great.

If you want it documented then you need to become a member of NWTF. Go to the website and under the hunting tab they will have a section that talks about turkey records. There is information on how to register your birds for the record book. I would consider difficulty or lack of access to some of them. The Osceola having the smallest range and you will more then likely be hunting with a outfitter. If you live in VA you have Eastern's there so really the next difficult one and it could be more difficult in nature of terrain more so the drawing the tag would be a Merriam. Rios are fun to hunt and gobble like crazy. Depending on where you go to hunt you may have to go with a outfitter as well. How much experience do you have hunting turkey's?

I'd like to think I have several years experience, I've spent the last 3 years calling in birds for other people. But they have all been easterns, not sure how much they differ? Which states would be good for mirriam and rio?

I got my 2 Rios in Oklahoma. You have to pay particular attention to where you hunt Merriams and Rios out west because in some areas Easterns have been transplanted and are interbreeding with the local birds. So, you may come all the way out west and end up with either a hybrid bird, or an Eastern. Make sure you get a hold of the local biologist wherever you choose to hunt out here.

Last edited:
This will help you figure out where to go for each species:
turkey-map-wos.jpg

I'd use that map to figure out which states have OTC tags for the species you want and then which ones of those have public land access. I got my Merriam in Idaho, Rio in Texas and Eastern in Indiana. I've done a bit of research on Osceolas and there are some public grounds in FL that have them. IME, the Merriams and Rios aren't hunted any different than Easterns. The country they are in is different, but I didn't find them any more difficult to hunt.

Good Luck!

Just a thought. When you decide to go for your Rio, why not Hawaii? There are lots & lots of birds, not hunted extremely hard, and you can score some added Wifey Bonus points along the way. The Big Island has tons of open public land, so a DIY is easy peasy. We went 3 for 4 on the 1st morning, and #4 miffed his chance by not making sure the bolt on his Moss 500 was completely engaged.

As far as order goes I'm assuming you already have the eastern. After that I would start prioritizing money to go on the rest of the hunts. The good thing about turkeys is that the tags are generally inexpensive. For merriams I would say go for a mountain state. You can hunt the mountains while scouting and getting hooked to plan an elk or mule deer hunt. From what I have experienced, anywhere that holds elk will hold turkeys. Rios in Kansas a are a pretty good bet with a fair amount of public land. The real kicker is going to be Osceolas. You may have to pony up a good sum to get on land there to have a chance.

Best guess so far is Kansas/Oklahoma for a rio and Colorado/Wyoming for a mirriam. The osceola I may just use a outfitter? Also saw there were some goulds in Arizona?

Best guess so far is Kansas/Oklahoma for a rio and Colorado/Wyoming for a mirriam. The osceola I may just use a outfitter? Also saw there were some goulds in Arizona?

If you want a gould's make sure you start applying for points in Arizona. I have seen a few down there and my dream is to get there to chase them. Only have 3 points though so it will be a while

How hard is it to draw a tag for one, how many points do you need? I need to look closer in to which states are otc and which are draw.

I am not sure how many points it would take to draw a Goulds in AZ. Hunterstrailhead doesn't include turkey and I haven't found any draw odds. That said, I am terrible at finding these sorts of things so maybe someone here can point you in the right direction. Most states are OTC so getting a tag isn't the problem. Goulds doesn't count towards a grand slam so you don't need them as is. It is just something that is rally unique that I want to do. Hopefully I will be able to get my house in order and finish my slam with an Osceola in 2016. After that and I draw a Goulds I can start looking at occelated in Mexico to complete a Royal and World Slam

I believe you can get a Royal from a Goulds anywhere. I have never seen anything in the NWTF language that suggests otherwise

http://www.nwtf.org/all_about_turkeys/records_slams.html

AZ bird should be good for your royal. I try to get over to southern AZ on habitat projects as much as possible. Hopefully some day the Goulds here in New Mexico will have an actual population to hunt instead of having to buy raffle tickets. That said I will buy those tickets every year to get a chance

A good place for a Merriams is the Black Hills of SD and it's an OTC license. That's where my buddy and I got ours one year and it's a neat hunt where I've been back several times between Custer and Mt. Rushmore for our birds. There's several million acres of public land, which is a lot more area than Wyoming has for them. I've also taken Rios in Texas and many Easterns here in MI. I won't pay what it takes for an Osceola down in FL, so that's it for my "near" slam!

pleny of public land in florida. put in for a quota hunt in november for spring turkey. they can be tough, they get played with a bit. watch out for snakes and gaters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back