Grand Slam of Quail...

DBaker

Anyone here got it? Is their a web site for the special club members?

Talk to me.... Lets see pictures. I'm calling BS. I've never heard of anyone compleeting the Grand slam of Quail. I hear only 1 in 345,323,669 hunters ave even ever attempted this feat !!!!

I don't know if a buddy has the quail, but he has shot all the grouse species in the Lower 48!!! I'll get some pics when he gets the mounts back.

1 Pointer, does you buddy have a snow grouse in that grand slam? I just finished up killing every grouse in the lower 48 about a week ago, with the exception of the snow grouse. Oddly enough the last grouse I needed was a ruffed grouse. I got one last week and a limit of them this morning. There numbers seem to be way up out here this year.

What is a snow grouse? If that's the same as a ptarmigan, there are 3 species. Or do you mean Nevada's snowcock? And do you consider mtn sharptails different from plains sharptails? Also if you haven't heard, blues have just been redesignated as "dusky" and "sooty" grouse. From the latest Colorado Outdoors...

dusky_grouse.jpg

I need a mtn quail and bobwhite to complete the slam. Shot a few pen-raised bobwhites, but that doesn't count for anything. There's also a small population of reintroduced masked bobwhites in southern AZ too, but of course no season on them. Maybe someday... ;)

Here are my upland birds in order...

gambles quail
mearns quail
scaled quail
blue (dusky) grouse
chukar
white-tailed ptarmigan
sage grouse
hungarian partridge
pheasant
valley quail

Should have a ruffed and sooty grouse to add anyday but here I am sitting on the damn computer working instead of out hunting. |oo

Big Sky- Don't know what a 'snow grouse' is. I guess to be specific, he hasn't shot a Gunnison's Sage Grouse either, but until they come off the list I guess that's a no-go.

Billy- I didn't know they were being looked at as separate species! I had heard of them being different color phases, but not species. Pretty cool! Guess I'll have to get after my pard to get one of them as well. I haven't shot alot of birds, but I have shot a pretty good diversity of them. Some of them are getting pretty hard to find like the Lesser Prairie Chicken.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back