Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

GPS tracker for back country

Cammy

Not sure if this fits here but will ask anyway.

Will be hunting with my 83 year old FIL in Nevada next month. He will most likely be bombing around in my Polaris RZR and I am concerned that he may get lost of break down miles from camp. Looking for a GPS tracker that I can put on the UTV that I would be able to locate him just in case. Thought about a dog collar but I don't think he will wear it. Any suggestions for a subscription free tracker that I could possibly use with onX?

While I love OnX not sure it works here, if you are looking for him to see where he is on a map and find his way back, sure. If you are looking to find him, unless you have reliable cell service and can text and share waypoints quickly, then I don't believe OnX can find someone else, just show you where you are.

Not sure about using a GPS system with ONX, but Garmin InReach has a tracker system you can use to track with. The downfall with that though, you do have to have online access to track. You could also use the Garmin dog tracking units, and just keep one of the collars on your FIL's pack or on the RZR. We used them for years when we used to dog hunt, and for multiple trips on 1 charge. You would be good as long as you charged it daily if it were on all day long.

The Garmin Astro dog collar tracker systems can get out of sight if you don’t have real good signal. My two hounds have temporarily lost tracking abilities and I had to drive around and relocate them.

Not sure about using a GPS system with ONX, but Garmin InReach has a tracker system you can use to track with. The downfall with that though, you do have to have online access to track. You could also use the Garmin dog tracking units, and just keep one of the collars on your FIL's pack or on the RZR. We used them for years when we used to dog hunt, and for multiple trips on 1 charge. You would be good as long as you charged it daily if it were on all day long.
Man those dog trackers get expensive. If I was running dogs I could see it as being necessary. For my FIL!? Don't love him that much. LOL!

Not sure if this fits here but will ask anyway.

Will be hunting with my 83 year old FIL in Nevada next month. He will most likely be bombing around in my Polaris RZR and I am concerned that he may get lost of break down miles from camp. Looking for a GPS tracker that I can put on the UTV that I would be able to locate him just in case. Thought about a dog collar but I don't think he will wear it. Any suggestions for a subscription free tracker that I could possibly use with onX?
Any help here? I may need one of these myself:)

Maybe this?

Put it on your bike.

But you need Cell phone service to see email or text alerts for its location.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back