Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

GPS smartphone app review

schmalts

I loaded the backcountry navigator app in my Galaxy 4S and used it in the beartooth wilderness a couple weeks ago. Here are a few points I will mention.

Free trial version, great idea will full functions. the full app is only $10 and well worth it.

Battery life with the phone in airplane mode was good. I had a battery charging pack, i never used it. I did not have the phone on a whole lot because the trails were pretty easy to see but I did use it a fair amount.

Screen brightness in this phone is better than most GPS units and that makes it nice.

You do not need cell coverage to see SAT and TOPO. You download the data before you head out, and it stores it on your microSD card. And yes, you can store the Sat images and that is nice. It is best to download when you have WiFi so you do not use up data if you do not have an unlimited plan.

Making waypoints is fast, and easy to type because you use the touch screen.

My phones compass is off a little, maybe as bad as a couple degrees, not sure why. tried multiple calibrations with no luck. I carry a hand held compass anyway so it is not a big deal.

Tracks feature works great. waypoint feature is great, and when you are in data coverage the search function is great. Just type in a town or landmark and hit go and it takes you there.

Phones are not waterproof, this is a concern. I purchased a waterproof bag for it. Some carriers are coming out with the new Galaxy 4 active, a water resistant version. Verizon did not have it (still don't) when I got this phone a couple months ago.

For 2-4 day trips for back packing this is a great option and if you add up the weight that it is a phone, camera, video camera, and GPS all in one it is a great weight saver. I think for driving it is a great feature as well because you can mount it on your dash mount and see maps and have tunes and the phone all ready for your road trip.

All in all, even though I will carry a stand alone GPS on lot of trips I will always have my phone if I know I can get a signal so if i expect a short trip I can start leaving the Garmin at the truck and make due with this. The reality of it is that the functions are as good, and some better than the Garmin. The lack of waterproof is the biggest concern at his point. The battery life is not a problem with the idea of taking the spare charging pack (a little smaller than the phone).
Here is the deal, it is a free app for the first couple weeks, and I am a little surprised at how well i liked it. Try it out, and if your like me you will probably buy the $10 app. Now what I need is for HuntingGPS Maps to start making maps for the android system!

One thing I have not tried but want to do is do a waypoint download. There is a function for loading in your Garmin waypoints from your PC. I will do this before I head to Colorado

I have the app loaded onto my Casio Gzone Commando, it's water proof. Well at least it still works after dropping it in Flathead Lake a few months ago. 4 feet of muddy water for about 5 min didn't seem to hurt it. I didn't dry it out like some say to do. just shook it and threw it into my pocket. I have the trial version for now and it works, except it doesn't have the topo function on the trial version while out of cell phone coverage. Probably user error more then anything.

Last edited:
One thing I have not tried but want to do is do a waypoint download. There is a function for loading in your Garmin waypoints from your PC. I will do this before I head to Colorado

I did get my waypoints transferrred. This was a PITA for me. I had to load them into gogle earth first, then export as a KML. file onto my phone and then load them into the app from there but i did get it done. The app shows 40 waypoints for the file but there are actually over 300 of my user created points. Not sure what that is all about.

I have the app loaded onto my Casio Gzone Commando, it's water proof. Well at least it still works after dropping it in Flathead Lake a few months ago. 4 feet of muddy water for about 5 min didn't seem to hurt it. I didn't dry it out like some say to do. just shook it and threw it into my pocket. I have the trial version for now and it works, except it doesn't have the topo function on the trial version while out of cell phone coverage. Probably user error more then anything.
I never tried the loading of maps into the SD card before I bought the app, so I dont know if that is the case. Does it give you a message saying full app only??

My phones compass is off a little, maybe as bad as a couple degrees, not sure why. tried multiple calibrations with no luck. I carry a hand held compass anyway so it is not a big deal.

I have had this problem with my garmin rino too when using the navigation so i make sure to keep an eye on my map now.

Great review. im picking up an S4 soon. i was not aware that they have a waterproof version. Maybe i will wait for that.

I never tried the loading of maps into the SD card before I bought the app, so I dont know if that is the case. Does it give you a message saying full app only??

The demo version let's you cache maps as well. I've done it the last two weekends, has worked perfectly. Once I figure out how to get land ownership maps on there I actually plan to sell my Garmin, that's how much I like it.

Regarding waterproofness, I've got the Seidio Obex case in the mail, I'm hoping my phone will be as indestructible as my old Casio once equipped.

Once I figure out how to get land ownership maps on there I actually plan to sell my Garmin, that's how much I like it.

You mean something like this?

Screenshot_2013-08-25-11-26-18.png

Can you send text messages to others in your hunting party when in an area without cell coverage? That would be sweet!

Sorry for not getting back with you. I got it to load and display. However, it's hard to really test it without being 'on' the map. That said it looks great!

There was a bit of a bug somewhere. The app kept locking up and just thinking, thinking, thinking... I deleted and reinstalled it and now it works fine. I think it was my fault. I should have purchased the in app add-on prior to trying to open the file instead of as I was opening the file. Make any sense?

i downloaded HUNT by onX for free for a week and i really like it on my phone. It says 35 bucks I think to buy it. It tells you ownership of land and has many layers. A chip for your GPS is 100 bucks I believe. Has anybody else tried this one and how does it compare to the 100 dollars GPS chip?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back