Got him!

MITCHMO

I was skiing through some swamps looking bobcats earlier this year and happened across a nice otter track. I followed it for a long way making a mental note every time he went through a pinch point. About 3 weeks later I was back in there and found him again. Now it was time to put some steel in the water and try to connect with him. It’s a heck of a hike to get in here so I wanted to be sure I knew his patterns before I set some 330’s. I knew he was a big otter based on his slide and tracks. The only problem was he was out of the water as much as he was in it. After 2 weeks he came back through and I made a mistake and missed him. I knew better than to use too big of a dive stick and he climbed over the trap and fired it. I was worried he was educated as he was obviously avoiding my sets on his way out of there. However a few weeks later he must have forgotten about it and dove in a 330. I could see the trap was fired and saw a long black floater and knew it was time to do the otter dance. Give the size of the otter I’m pretty confident it’s the same one. I’ve caught quite a few and this is defiantly one of the bigger ones. I’ll get a length on him later. My buddy and I got a 52” long one and this one seems a tad shorter but way heavier.

Attachments

• 29DEB790-DD85-4027-8277-78E1DADF79FC.jpeg
    29DEB790-DD85-4027-8277-78E1DADF79FC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 70
  • 7D972DA2-3107-469D-A5B6-6F2052CB4148.jpeg
    7D972DA2-3107-469D-A5B6-6F2052CB4148.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 97
  • 6D25E382-5B18-41FC-81E5-3F30AB7068E7.jpeg
    6D25E382-5B18-41FC-81E5-3F30AB7068E7.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 97
If he's wider he may stretch longer. If not don't worry about stretching him on the board width wise. It will make the fur feel denser and may add some value if you are selling. Nice looking otter and caught before the singe should be starting. Great catch!

If he's wider he may stretch longer. If not don't worry about stretching him on the board width wise. It will make the fur feel denser and may add some value if you are selling. Nice looking otter and caught before the singe should be starting. Great catch!
Yea I was shocked he wasn’t singed. Beautiful fur. I have heard many theories about why they singe, have any thoughts on that?

From what I have heard it can be caused by the hairs drying out to much and rubbing on hard surfaces. Also the sun can over dry the fur. Furharvesters Auction showed us how to flesh otter to prevent this singe. Always spray the fur with a water mist as you are fleshing the hide on a beam. It keeps it damp and prevents the over dry condition when it is being worked with movement or pressure. It has worked for me for many years. There used to be a VHS video called "Otter Made Easy" they guy doing the demo was endorsed by Furharvesters 😁. Maybe you can still find one online if you are looking for handling information.

From what I have heard it can be caused by the hairs drying out to much and rubbing on hard surfaces. Also the sun can over dry the fur. Furharvesters Auction showed us how to flesh otter to prevent this singe. Always spray the fur with a water mist as you are fleshing the hide on a beam. It keeps it damp and prevents the over dry condition when it is being worked with movement or pressure. It has worked for me for many years. There used to be a VHS video called "Otter Made Easy" they guy doing the demo was endorsed by Furharvesters 😁. Maybe you can still find one online if you are looking for handling information.
Great info!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back