Caribou Gear

Got blown today!

Addicting

Headed to fish in Key West next week. We are driving down and taking our big cooler. It’s one of those trips that you never know if you need it or not. Guide says fishing was slow this week, hopefully picks back up for next.

If we hit gold, what is the best method for hauling this home 1500 miles over 5 days? Any catch will be filleted and place in bags from the charter.

There is a vacuum package and shipping service availably on the island. $$$

Or is it better to leave the fish whole, gutted, and just pack them in ice like the commercial guys?

I would think if you had bags of filets, preferably frozen, layers of ice and fish with a couple pounds of dry ice on top should do the trick. Just keep the dry ice out of any water. Or if they're frozen probably dry ice alone would do.

Pack in ice but leave room on top for 3 slabs of dry ice to keep everything frozen. Close it and don't open unless you have the.
As fillets or whole?

My concern is not getting them frozen in time and all the bumps on the way home turning the fillets into mush.

I would think if you had bags of filets, preferably frozen, layers of ice and fish with a couple pounds of dry ice on top should do the trick. Just keep the dry ice out of any water. Or if they're frozen probably dry ice alone would do.
I hope to find a place that can freeze it. Then this works.

As fillets or whole?

My concern is not getting them frozen in time and all the bumps on the way home turning the fillets into mush.

I hope to find a place that can freeze it. Then this works.
I would think it'd be easier to filet first. Plus that makes sure you get cold contact all around and through each piece. If you can get them frozen first it'd be great. But the dry ice over wet ice might just freeze them too.

Your guide should know if there's a place to process them for you, may even have freezer space. I always figure fillets are good on ice for 5 days. Any more than that, filet, vacuum pack in the size portions you use, freeze if possible then transport in a good cooler with dry ice. Just don't freeze them in a big clump, I've seen that before with some of my clients when I was running my charters.

Your guide should know if there's a place to process them for you, may even have freezer space. I always figure fillets are good on ice for 5 days. Any more than that, filet, vacuum pack in the size portions you use, freeze if possible then transport in a good cooler with dry ice. Just don't freeze them in a big clump, I've seen that before with some of my clients when I was running my charters.
Yep, The big frozen bag is a mess. I’ve seen that too many times and while convenient at the time of initial packaging, it’s a pain when you want to eat one fillet.

Either or. Fillet or whole. If they are already filleting it for you though I’d let them. Make sure they’re sealed and pack in dry ice. Personally, if they weren’t already filleted I’d surpass the dry ice and just keep them cold as possible. Easier to do the final process and I think better for quality if the fish doesn’t freeze until finished.

Apparently it’s quite common from what Gore’s interweb is saying. This gen 5 engine is a turd and there are 1000 of cases of what happened to us today.

Good thing my wife is a Disney Master Planner and can salvage this for the kids. It won’t be key west fishing but they will get some kind of spring break trip.

Apparently it’s quite common from what Gore’s interweb is saying. This gen 5 engine is a turd and there are 1000 of cases of what happened to us today.

Good thing my wife is a Disney Master Planner and can salvage this for the kids. It won’t be key west fishing but they will get some kind of spring break trip.
Everything is junk nowadays I swear. Should of taken the suburban. They had the best motor money could buy years ago. Sad.

I drove from Englewood FL to Laramie WY with a cooler of fish fillets. Dry ice. We drove straight through, so only 40ish hours. But they were fine. I think we froze them ahead of time.

Sucks about your truck.

Back