Got a question about getting to your early morning spots.

king1886ranch

I looked for a thread on this topic and I couldn't find one, so here it goes. I'm doing my map work on my first Elk hunt and I was thinking about routes for getting to my morning spots good and early. What types of routes do y'all choose? Do you just look at the ease to get there since it's dark? Do you take a creek bed or Arroyo if that's available or do you skirt ridge lines or maybe skirt clearing in the tree line. Any experienced information would be great, thank you in advance.

Play the wind. You have to take a route that won't scent your area before you get there. Early morning thermals will have rising warm air, but just before daylight is the coldest time and winds can be shifty.

What he said regarding thermals. Didn't take us long to figure we were doing things backwards.... Luckily we have hunted our area enough that we can also do with minimal light.

Play the wind. You have to take a route that won't scent your area before you get there. Early morning thermals will have rising warm air, but just before daylight is the coldest time and winds can be shifty.

Wind is the No. 1 problem. Then noise. Then being spotted. I try to figure out a route where I can keep the wind in my face and where the sun will rise behind me. And I can approach reasonably quietly. And where I can beat everyone who has their sights on the same elk. And where the elk are. Man, that DOES sound complicated.

Learn what the wind does in your spots. Look at weather nowcasts. Don't be afraid of using a headlamp, I've walked into herds of elk in the dark with a headlamp on...

What BL says , at times you have to take the LONG cut to get to a close place.
If it's daylight your not starting early enough.
Ditto the lamps.I have run into elk many times in the dark with a lamp on.I use a green one in morning getting there.

Last edited:
I agree with the green headlight for sure. I've walked up on deer 20 yards with a green light and they seem to have no clue.

Use red light but same effect, just watch wind or lack of wind that's what will bust you

C

Wind is the No. 1 problem. Then noise. Then being spotted. I try to figure out a route where I can keep the wind in my face and where the sun will rise behind me. And I can approach reasonably quietly. And where I can beat everyone who has their sights on the same elk. And where the elk are. Man, that DOES sound complicated.

Lol. So basically no considerations at all huh?

In my experience the thermals do not start rising until the sun is up and warming things up, winds can be crazy in the a.m. and will cost you opportunities at elk more than anything else!

If it is calm and cold in the morning the thermals will bill pulling you scent down the mountain still! steady wind is hard to come by in rugged terrain!

Thermals will be moving DOWNHILL in the morning - not uphill. Until ~9:30-10:00 when it starts to warm up.

I try to approach in such a way that I will not spook game. And only you will know what that is after hunting there. But getting to a spot downhill from them in the pre-dawn and then hunting uphill through the morning is usually the best approach since the thermals will be going down.

This can be a challenge. As stated before....thermals (often) move downhill in the early AM. Elk however, usually move from places they spent the night (often lower meadows feeding) up hill to areas where they bed. I know there are a lot of exceptions but I think elk often feed low and bed high. So many people try to get up in front of the elk to intercept them or call them in as they are heading up the hill. It is much easier to call an elk the direction they want to go vs back down where they have been. The problem you may run into though...is the thermals flowing downhill towards the elk...along with other wind factors like swirling that often happens early on. Many people play it aggressive and try to arrow these elk early. Others simply monitor the progress of the herd and let them arrive to and get settled into their beds for the day before they launch their attack. Winds are often more predictable and stable later on in the day. These are just some of the many things to consider. Nothing is ever consistent or easy. Thats what makes it fun!

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back