Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

goose decoys

MThuntr

Hey guys I'm putting together a list of potential locations to buy decoys. Hoping to snag decoys on sale but even then they are pricey. Ones no craigslist seem to be beat to hell. I'm not looking to spend a lot because field access locally is pretty slim. Would you buy these goose shell decoys? http://www.ebay.com/itm/151762722627

I'm watching the standard suite of mass market stores (BassPro, Cabelas, Rogers) as well as ebay and craigslist but if you have another idea where to track some down feel free to share.

Thats a good price for those dekes. Goose hunting isn't cheap, but once your invested the hurt goes away. I just picked up 2 dz B2 bigfoot shells off of Cabela's yesterday morning. Yours are less expensive.

Most definitely it's expensive...my goose hunting is mostly incidental take and jump shooting. I really would have liked to buy those that were for sale in the classifieds last week but my funds from a shotgun sale went to another shotgun. I figured if I invest in dekes (probably 4 dozen) now I'll be more inclined to knock on doors for some access.

Hey guys I'm putting together a list of potential locations to buy decoys. Hoping to snag decoys on sale but even then they are pricey. Ones no craigslist seem to be beat to hell. I'm not looking to spend a lot because field access locally is pretty slim. Would you buy these goose shell decoys? http://www.ebay.com/itm/151762722627

I'm watching the standard suite of mass market stores (BassPro, Cabelas, Rogers) as well as ebay and craigslist but if you have another idea where to track some down feel free to share.

We have about 5 dozen of those shells we use for late season when it is really cold and snow on the ground.

We also use them to fill in our spread with full body decoys.

100_0085.jpg

PB200327.jpg

That is a great price for them. They come with flocked heads and have great detail. The motion stakes they come with kind of suck so we never put them on the stakes.

Nemont

Last edited:
Personally no, I would not buy those shells. They looked like the standard size and you would be disappointed in them. For shells, go oversized for honkers all the way. Also, the fully flocked are much more effective in all weather conditions and are well worth the extra money. Look for used if you need to. Dont underestimate the power of the sleeper shells in late season. They are extremely effective and at times the best decoy you can have. I used to pro-staff for Avery/Greenhead gear. They do have some great products that I was proud to represent. Look at Rogers Sporting Goods in MO for a great retailer. Also, silhouettes also work very well if you lack storage/transportation space. Again, no glare decoys are preferred.

Grant,

Keep poking around on Craigslist. Once the season is over, and guys start cleaning out their garages, they will start popping up. I bought all of my decoys in Jan/Feb some new, but primarily used.

The other thing you might do is contact some outfitters in your area and see if they are getting rid of any decoys after the season, They might be a little beat up, but they can be cleaned up and should fill out your spread fine.

Personally no, I would not buy those shells. They looked like the standard size and you would be disappointed in them. For shells, go oversized for honkers all the way. Also, the fully flocked are much more effective in all weather conditions and are well worth the extra money. Look for used if you need to. Dont underestimate the power of the sleeper shells in late season. They are extremely effective and at times the best decoy you can have. I used to pro-staff for Avery/Greenhead gear. They do have some great products that I was proud to represent. Look at Rogers Sporting Goods in MO for a great retailer. Also, silhouettes also work very well if you lack storage/transportation space. Again, no glare decoys are preferred.

Strutnut,

Did you ever use lessers in your spreads? I had always heard that they are a spookier bird and build confidence in the birds coming in.

Also, do you still hunt the north metro? I am not to far west of you.

Decoys, Be patient people are gonna start selling spreads!

MThntr
I just sold my spread last week I had about 10 dozen mostly full bodies and some shells for filler for late season hunts. I think if you keep looking at Craigslist a few spreads will pop up because its the end of the season. It is definitely the least expensive way to put a good spread together.Just be patient and the right items will pop up. Buying new and building a spread from the ground up is way to expensive in my opinion. I will keep my eyes and ears open for something. i know ill have a few buddies looking to dump some equipment this year.

We have used lessers many times for kind of more a filler decoy than anything. I used to run all GHG FFD Full Bodys and Oversized FFD shells. I ended up having to sell the whole works when money got tight. I too sold on Craigslist. I am in the process of rebuilding my spread and will be getting 3 doz RealGeese Pros or something similar as well as a couple doz FFD Oversized shells. I am used to hunting in fields with a lot of competition either near or in the same field so realism is a must. I have hunted all over the state really. I drifted away the last few years in favor of a bow but now my son is dragging me back into it. Nice set up Nemont. I loved putting 3-4 Lookers in the kill hole either in a food line or resembling a small group that just landed.

These are good shells. I have a dozen that I take with me duck hunting when I'm hunting rivers. I put them on an ice shelf.

Yes, be patient with Craigslist. You can always pay full price later.

Thanks guys. I'll keep a look out online. Like I said the only reason for expedited purchase is they were cheaper. I won't have time to chase geese this season anyway (only days left are Saturday thru Wednesday). I may snag a dozen to have on hand.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy these. We use Bigfoots mostly, but shells as fillers are great to have and later in the season the sleeper shells are great too. Good luck.

They look like a good buy to me. Trend more towards Full Bodies, but its always nice to have a supply of shells to fill out a spread. They take up a whole lot less room too!

Yea after the season is a great time too buy, there are a couple other waterfowl forums you may want too check out also, like refugeforums.com or duckhuntingchat.com you can sometimes get deals on there for decoys. I run 4 dozen silo's and 6 active's in the "hole" works good, you may want too have a dozen FFD and 6 or so sleepers for late season, as my spread tends too not do as well in Jan. as it does in Oct, Nov, and early Dec. , Good luck,
Matt

Yea after the season is a great time too buy, there are a couple other waterfowl forums you may want too check out also, like refugeforums.com or duckhuntingchat.com you can sometimes get deals on there for decoys. I run 4 dozen silo's and 6 active's in the "hole" works good, you may want too have a dozen FFD and 6 or so sleepers for late season, as my spread tends too not do as well in Jan. as it does in Oct, Nov, and early Dec. , Good luck,
Matt

Matt,

Do you think the change is due to them getting educated later in the season, or that their activity has changed (resident activity v. migration)

Just curious. As it seems here in MN that there is a big difference in what you need for a spread when hunting resident family groups v. consolidated groups of migrators.

Matt,

Do you think the change is due to them getting educated later in the season, or that their activity has changed (resident activity v. migration)

Just curious. As it seems here in MN that there is a big difference in what you need for a spread when hunting resident family groups v. consolidated groups of migrators.

absolutely. ^^^^^

Flocks get bigger as the season goes on too, migration starts. Many times early season, I'll feel fine setting up in a field with 12-18 decoys. Late season we run 6-10 dozen depending on how many guys we are trying to hide.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceemee63
Back