Google Bot Data Mined Super-Fund Site

It’s a bit bittersweet. This thread is the only reason I joined HT, but there are just too many breadcrumbs here.

I’m not sure the solution. Well-known members only? Delete this one then have an annual unlimited thread that gets deleted every year on Dec 31st?

This thread is definitely the reason I joined HT and it's the only thread I have an alert set for. Growing up as a kid in TN, hunting in the mountains of the west were only a dream, and a big horn ram was the epidemy of those dreams. That meant watching PBS nature documentaries or thumbing through a sports afield magazine at the book store. I joined the Army at 17 and left high school early. I was in my mid 30's before my first western hunt for elk in CO with only 1 trip a few years later. Next year will be WY elk, muley, and antelope, but I would trade a lifetime of hunting deer in TN for 1 BH sheep.
I follow this thread because it keeps the dream alive that one day I might actually make it happen. As a NR who didn't join the points game decades ago, this is the only opportunity that exists. I work multiple jobs, my wife's a teacher, and we are raising 4 boys. Life comes first, but at least there's still hope with the UL that I can hunt sheep one day (unguided). I've made gear lists, maps, marked way points e-scouting, planned routes and more for something that it years away from happening. When I finally get to do an UL hunt, this thread and forum will be the reason.
I haven't discovered any secret spots due to un-blurred landscape pics or anything close. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough. Even though I've never hunted sheep, I remember someone saying "don't go chasing dead rams", but I think that was from a podcast. You still have to make a big commitment to try for a sheep in the UL, even as a NR. I've picked up a few good tips on here related to gear, glassing, bears, etc., but it's not truly UL or even sheep specific stuff. I think the popularity in hunting (even though much of it these days is spread by d-bag social media influencers), the widespread sharing of hunting tips/knowledge on forums in general, and apps and websites that confirm your suspicions that you will NEVER draw a sheep tag, all play a part in increased numbers of hunters in the UL. It's not just the fault of this thread. 25 years ago the gear to keep you in the backcountry was much different as well. Things progress, time changes all, and sometimes adapting sucks. My oldest son turned 13 yesterday, I know. Anyway, I'm very thankful for this thread and the few others like it where guys encourage and celebrate the efforts and trials that each other share. I hope it stays.

Axe the thread. I have never wanted to do it and most likely never will. I have followed it and it is evident to me it does not need to be on the internet.

I will never hunt sheep,but this is one thread I always keep up with. If it goes it will be a sad day. I do understand were you guys are coming from and I agree it doesn’t need to be public information.

There are bread crumbs here, but there are also lots of bread crumbs other places. As the human population grows and the popularity of western big game hunting grows exponentially so will the popularity of this hunt grow, regardless of this threads existence.

If you are Joe SixPack and want to hunt a Bighorn Ram then you can spend around $2,000 a year on applications plus the co-requisite hunting licenses, etc, to get a few balls in a handful of state sheep draws though your odds will be 1 in 1000 cumulatively in Year One and not improve much the next 20 or more years.

Or, realizing the weak sauce of your future likelihood of drawing a ram tag even when collectively spending $10,000s as the years of good health dwindle, you accept luck can’t favor everyone so you head to Montana with a guaranteed draw tag in your pocket. Your harvest odds are quite low but you will have hunted sheep. Hopefully you walk out upright from the hunt with no serious issues.

No opinion if nuke the tag. Is certainly a pearl in the pile of threads which are typical here. Will be missed. Never forgotten.

Delete the thread. It’s like pissing in the ocean boys. It’s not going to matter

Meow what is so damn funny?
Alright so here’s the deal. He is my lucky cat. Ever since I got him my hunting success has skyrocketed. I take him with me everywhere I go. For example this year I packed him in with me on the unlimiteds. He grew up on a sheep ranch so he has a sixth sense when it comes to finding sheep. He is also really feisty so he serves as grizzly protection. He is the only thing I have going that gives me a slight edge against all the hardos to get one of those old pricks. But now you have screwed me with your question so this thread really needs to be deleted and quick.

Alright so here’s the deal. He is my lucky cat. Ever since I got him my hunting success has skyrocketed. I take him with me everywhere I go. For example this year I packed him in with me on the unlimiteds. He grew up on a sheep ranch so he has a sixth sense when it comes to finding sheep. He is also really feisty so he serves as grizzly protection. He is the only thing I have going that gives me a slight edge against all the hardos to get one of those old pricks. But now you have screwed me with your question so this thread really needs to be deleted and quick.

That’s the hot tip I’ve been scouring the web for right there. Thanks!

UL thread over and out.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back