"Good Tag" Anxiety

Long story made short - I drew a good elk permit in WY this year. Did a lot of scouting and saw some XXL bulls in summer. Finding now they move differently than they have historically after summer-time and it might be real difficult. Anyhow, had this bull come by me at daylight on the opener last Thursday. Opted to pass then 15 minutes later as he rutted in the sunlight I had second thoughts. It was a perfect day, had 2 pals along, and the bull stood in a terrific scenic place, but by then right on the unmarked boundary of public and private. Ended up not shooting. It’s a 8 week rifle hunt so I hope to get my money’s worth, and decades worth of applying.. might give it a couple weeks before going back. I’ve probably eaten better tags.
9CE2EAEA-21CE-4C16-8EF0-B8B14213519E.jpeg

couple things - I didn’t take the picture. And that is hands down the biggest elk I’ve ever passed a certain chance at. Not sure how big but he’s over 350. I did see a couple this summer that were a lot bigger, but Ive no idea where they are now.

Last edited:
Long story made short - I drew a good elk permit in WY this year. Did a lot of scouting and saw some XXL bulls in summer. Finding now they move differently than they have historically after summer-time and it might be real difficult. Anyhow, had this bull come by me at daylight on the opener last Thursday. Opted to pass then 15 minutes later as he rutted in the sunlight I had second thoughts. It was a perfect day, had 2 pals along, and the bull stood in a terrific scenic place, but by then right on the unmarked boundary of public and private. Ended up not shooting. It’s a 8 week rifle hunt so I hope to get my money’s worth, and decades worth of applying.. might give it a couple weeks before going back. I’ve probably eaten better tags.
View attachment 156752

couple things - I didn’t take the picture. And that is hands down the biggest elk I’ve ever passed a certain chance at. Not sure how big but he’s over 350. I did see a couple this summer that were a lot bigger, but Ive no idea where they are now.
Good luck! Can’t wait to hear how it plays out

I used to feel pressure when I drew a good tag, but now i hunt them for what they are. I've been fortunate enough to capitalize on some quality elk tags, and I've also eaten some great tags. I've drawn 5 mule deer permits and only shot one buck. This year I've eaten an Alaskan Moose tag, and shot under a 380" elk.....a few years ago I might have crawled into a hole and not come out until February.

Back