Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Good start to 2005 (pics)

mtmiller

And end for 2004 as well.

I hit the road New Years Eve to find some ducks for my poor dog Axl. I didn't get to the area until about 1 1/2 hours before sunset, but I picked up a limit of mallards in less than 5 minutes. There are only a few areas with open water, so the ducks only had a few places to hide. Axl toughed out the sub-zero temps and mud to get our ducks.
P1050112.sized.jpg

I would like to say the success was due to my great hunting abilities, but as you can see anybody could have done well here today.
P1050060.sized.jpg

This morning the ducks were a little smarter, but it still only took about an hour to get a limit of mallards. Axl had one of the best days I can remember. Three of the five ducks I shot would have been lost if it weren't for him. He had three blind retrieves and I only saw where one of them went down. I though I had eyeballed one good and kept sending Ax back into the bulrush, but after five minutes nothing. He kept heading into some thornbushes and tried to keep him out, but finally he dove in and came out with the missing drake. Here is a shot of him coming back with our final duck for the day. A great blind in some 8' bulrush.
P1050127.sized.jpg

Here are todays birds. Sorry Moosie, my Hunttalk hat took a dive in the mud. Also, I do not have highlights. Apparently a sweaty head freezes pretty quickly at -3 degrees.
P1050139.sized.jpg

Before I hit the road I checked the tip-ups and it looks like I will be having fish tonight. That is if they thaw in time. :D
P1050119.sized.jpg

Oh yeh, what a way to start '05. A nice drake wearing some jewelry. :eek:
P1050153.sized.jpg

Congrats! Great pics as usual. Sure beat my weekend, I sat at home in my underwear drinking beer...:D

1_pointer said:
Congrats! Great pics as usual. Sure beat my weekend, I sat at home in my underwear drinking beer...:D
im doing that right now. :D

looks like a lot of fun. september is still a long way off and i cant wait. great lookong dog too.

I'll see your 10 ducks and Raise you 9 more and a goose....(You'd be proud of my limit today, It was 4 Greenies and a male Widgeon (Plus a mercy goose kill) Pictures later :D

Awesome pictures. a Dog would be great. The picture of Ducks is Unreal !! Are all those bad boys Mallards ?

Are all those bad boys Mallards
I am pretty sure they were all mallards. I did see one nice drake pintail, but of course I can't shoot them this time of year. The limit on ducks is 6, but only 5 can be mallards. I did hear a wigeon in one of the groups, but could not pick him out.

I think season closes next week, so unless the -24 from this morning puches them all out, I should get a few more before I have to put away the shot gun for the year.

Looking forward to the pics Moosie, but I have heard that story from you before. What happened to last weeks birds pics? Glad you got into some more this weekend. You always got to be one upping me don't ya prick. :BLEEP: ;) :D

By the way, male wigeon? Let's use the word drake in this forum. :rolleyes: :D

I sat at home in my underwear drinking beer...

Thanks for the visual Tyler, you have now ruined my day. :D

I don't know, sounds like ol' 1pt had a pretty good weekend himself. :)

Miller great pics as always....Always enjoy seeing what you guys are up to over there. Axl looks great as always!

Nice pics Mt.

Is that rigormortis setting in on Daffy and his brother? Or are those things just frozen solid already! ;) Looks like you just pulled em fresh out of the freezer for the pic. Unplucked even... :)

If anyone is interested, the banded drake I killed was banded in Chaplin, SK in 2001 as an adult. It is actually not too far from where I killed him in MT.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back