Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Good Hunting Rifle for 15 Year Old Boy (Elk, Deer, Bear)

Hey Ruger Forums. This is my first post. I'm interested in a hunting rifle. I've been doing well over 15 hours of research on this. I don't want to have to buy a new gun after this for a while. I've narrowed down the Ruger American but not set and stone on it. I would have it chambered in a .308 Win. I would need to be able to knock down deer, elk, and bears at 500 (max). Any recommendations. I am thinking a leupold 3-9x40mm scope. Please throw some knowledge at me.
Sounds like you're set on your caliber and the .308 is a solid choice based on your game and max range. That boils down to your comfort and confidence - takes significant skill to ethically shoot at an animal from 500 yards out, but with practice practice practice you can dial it in.
Regarding the rifle, I'd check out the used rack at a local gunsmith shop with knowledgeable staff. You'll get better quality for your money. I have a Ruger American but normally hunt with a Rem 700. Night and day difference. I'd check out Rem 700, Win M70, Ruger M77, Sako, Bergara, Savage (110/111), Tikka, Howa, Weatherby, Browning, probably something I'm not thinking of...
Ruger Americans are great value within the value category, which includes Rem 783, Win XPR, Savage Axis, Thompson, Mossberg. I have hunting rifle OCD and, as well as my Ruger American and Rem 783s shoot, I recommend finding a used rifle at the price point of a new value rifle that has those nuances that make that rifle solid to shoulder, aim, shoot and cycle.
Let the rifle be more than a tool...but most important don't let me or any of these other opinions trump what your gut tells you is the right investment for YOU.
Have Fun and Happy Hunting!

Having been the young boy wanting a gun, and now the dad purchasing the guns for his children. I can tell you the first rifle will never be forgotten.

As the parent/father finding the first rifle for my children. Make sure the stock and action fit your child. When I was 15 a full sized rifle did not fit me correctly. My father and a couple family friends looked for a youth/women stock in the big game caliber. To this day I still own and shoot the first big game rifle my dad gave me.I now own 3 or 4 big game rifles too. I would also suggest looking at getting a used rifle. I can usually find very nice rifles half the price of new one.

I like the comments about buying a better quality rifle right out of the gate. My family (myself and two of my boys who are old enough to hunt) own two Ruger Americans, a Savage Model 16, Remington Tactical XCR, Ruger GSR and a Tikka T3X. All of them are stainless and synthetic. My 13 y.o. son and I go to town tomorrow (2 mile boat ride to the dock, then a 2 hour drive to town) to buy the rifle he has been dreaming of, working and saving for by working odd jobs. His pick is a Tikka T3X Veil Alpine in .308. It is for sure at the upper end of what he could earn (half the price of the rifle, scope and scope mounts, which is a Leupold scope and Talley rings). He could have purchased a less expensive rifle sooner, but this will be a rifle that he will likely own the rest of his life. Buy once, cry once. In fact, I'm kind of Jonesing for one myself!.

For cartridge .270 win, 7mm08 and .308 are great options.

For a scope reach out to @schmalts, he has some close out pricing on nice CDS leupold scope that would be very nice.

For rifle, you can do better than the Ruger American. Check out this link:https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/ranking-10-common-bolt-action-hunting-rifles-under-750.291265/

This is some sound advice... The thing is, you want something that will last you for years to come. Something that does not need to be upgraded in a few years. Although the American is a good rifle, for a few hundred more dollars you can get something you will want to keep and hand down to your kids. IMO...

I have a ruger American and it's a tack driver . Its not 308 but a 6.5 very light recoil with a muzzle break. My biggest complaint is the stock is garbage

Having been the young boy wanting a gun, and now the dad purchasing the guns for his children. I can tell you the first rifle will never be forgotten.

As the parent/father finding the first rifle for my children. Make sure the stock and action fit your child. When I was 15 a full sized rifle did not fit me correctly. My father and a couple family friends looked for a youth/women stock in the big game caliber. To this day I still own and shoot the first big game rifle my dad gave me.I now own 3 or 4 big game rifles too. I would also suggest looking at getting a used rifle. I can usually find very nice rifles half the price of new one.
I got my daughter a savage 110 with the adjustable length of pull for this reason. I'm sure the Ruger would be fine though. I still use the first rifle my dad bought me when I was 15. It didn't fit me then, but I grew into it ;)

I have a ruger American and it's a tack driver . Its not 308 but a 6.5 very light recoil with a muzzle break. My biggest complaint is the stock is garbage
A lot of people make that same comment. Lots of flex in the forearm but their bedding system works well. Mine has been a consistent shooter. For what I paid I can't complain.

A lot of people make that same comment. Lots of flex in the forearm but their bedding system works well. Mine has been a consistent shooter. For what I paid I can't complain.
I don't believe it effects the accuracy. It's hard to believe it could shoot any better for a 400.00 gun . I just dont like it . It just feels and looks crappy . I just ordered a chassis for it. If someone would have told me a year ago to buy a 400 dollar stock for a 400 dollar gun i would have laughed in their face. But its a shooter, i like it , im keeping it for a long time so it is what it is .

15 yr old want's to knock down deer, elk and bear at 500yds with his first rifle. Wonderful! Rifle's don't knock down anything, neither do cartridges. To do what he want's take a shooter! A shooter will generally take what ever rifle you give them and learn to shoot it well enough to do that if that' what they want to do. Get whatever rifle you want and learn your limitation's with it. You may never even see a deer, elk or bear during hunting at that kind of range!

Hey Ruger Forums. This is my first post. I'm interested in a hunting rifle. I've been doing well over 15 hours of research on this. I don't want to have to buy a new gun after this for a while. I've narrowed down the Ruger American but not set and stone on it. I would have it chambered in a .308 Win. I would need to be able to knock down deer, elk, and bears at 500 (max). Any recommendations. I am thinking a leupold 3-9x40mm scope. Please throw some knowledge at me.
When I was 15, I was shooting a Remington 30-06. Can't out grow a .308! All of the Ruger firearms I have shot have been rock solid performers. If you want to eventually customize, a Remington 700 is probably the most versatile.

I'm still shooting the first rifle I got. 30 years later. I made sure it was going to be enough gun for everything in North America.

It's a tough internet question. Any of the calibers you listed will do just fine.

My only recommendation would be to involve the 15 y/o in the decision making. I used family guns for a couple years, .243 and .270 were the calibers depending on who was hunting. My older brother had dibs on the .270. So if he went, I got the .243. I was confident with both and wouldn't have had a problem "knocking" something down.

What I really, really wanted was a lever action. We didn't have one of those - so I scraped up money for a couple of years and then purchased my .308 Browning BLR.

My younger brother wanted a .300 Win Mag. Folks were always worried it would be too much gun for a kid. But he could (and did) shoot 100 rounds in a day at prairie dogs with no flinch or problem (he bought it at 12).

My point is, what does the 15 y/o want?

I have had Rugers (in fact just got a Hawkeye Predator) but for a sure-thing, accurate bet would get a Tikka for just a tiny bit more. .308 is a great round. Remember, though, shooting animals on the internet is way different from in the field. Animals walk after the shot, winds shift, etc. Many who have been hunting for decades (me included) wouldn't take a shot at a big game animal at 500 yards for fear of wounding, gut-shooting, or spoiling meat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought my 13 yo son a 7-08 compact Savage Axis XP with scope combo. Plan on upgrading the trigger spring for cheap.

Right now they’re on sales Cabela’s if one is still inclined to shop there. A family heirloom it is not, but it’s a great starter rifle.

You could spend the next 7 years researching every opinion thrown out to you on this thread, or you could buy a .308 rifle that you like the feel of and get hunting. With that said here are some of my opinions and what informs them.

Get the best scope you can afford, 3-9x40 is a great hunting size and don't skimp on ammo or range time. You want to know that rifle very well. Also don't be afraid to modify your rifle over time (as you gain the knowledge to do so). The system needs to fit the shooter, and it takes field time for the shooter to figure out what they want.

I have two big game rifles; my go to is a Ruger GSR .308 that I have modded for better cheek weld and good sling tension (I'll probably replace the trigger one day). It's a solid rifle out to 300, but more importantly it works well in the dense country I normally hunt (I was 3 yards from a bear I could not see the other day). My other gun is a Tikka t3x 6.5 creed that I am turning into a precision rifle system for more open country. The range of that rifle is limited by me, not the gun. 500 is far to me at the moment. Whatever gun you get, hit the range and learn your capabilities before you say "I think I can hit that". No. You need to know before you send the shot.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back