Good Hunting Rifle for 15 Year Old Boy (Elk, Deer, Bear)

Sebster27

Hey Ruger Forums. This is my first post. I'm interested in a hunting rifle. I've been doing well over 15 hours of research on this. I don't want to have to buy a new gun after this for a while. I've narrowed down the Ruger American but not set and stone on it. I would have it chambered in a .308 Win. I would need to be able to knock down deer, elk, and bears at 500 (max). Any recommendations. I am thinking a leupold 3-9x40mm scope. Please throw some knowledge at me.

I shoot a howa axiom in 308 win. I believe the stock reduces like 70% of felt recoil. I may be wrong maybe more. Anyway gun shoots like a dream. I have several friends who shoot different brands. They all love how mine shoots even pushing the upper limits 185 grains, didn't feel much recoil. Its not the cheapest but its a great shooting gun. I love that i can see my shots hit in the scope. My brother took a deer with it when he was 15 at about 570 yards. My nephew is 10 and shot a elk with it last year 256 yards. So its a very good gun for young shooter with out worry of making them gun shy, due to recoil. I shoot 125 grain for deer 165 for elk.

Sounds like a reasonable initial hunting setup. Just get yourself dead accurate with it inside of 300 yds and limit yourself to the same or less in the field and you’ll be fine. This won’t be your last gun, so don’t stress too much over it. Good luck!

The Ruger American is a great rifle. Usually good trigger, light weight and accurate. I have one in 243 that I started my kids on and I use. For caliber I would look at 270, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7-08, and 308. They are all good and set up right could take elk at reasonable ranges. For a one gun option hard to beat 270. Look at the howa's as well. Heavier than the American but really good. My 6.5 creed in the hogue blued model shoots lights out with almost everything. Good trigger as well. One of my favorite guns to take to the range. In that gun you could move up to a 30-06 and the recoil won't be that bad.

That rifle would do fine. I would first go to some gun shops and check to see if you like the feel, work the action, see if the rifle fits you well.

That rifle would do fine. I would first go to some gun shops and check to see if you like the feel, work the action, see if the rifle fits you well.
^This. Dont overthink it, if that's what you have in mind buy it. As far as a caliber goes pick one and go with it, there really is no wrong answer. Just personal preference imo. Have fun and good luck!

You are choosing well. I've killed all 3 critters you mentioned with a .308. Its pretty much been my go-to general purpose rifle for a lot of years.

I will say I had a real lemon of a Ruger American at one point, but I understand my experience was the exception. Everyone else I know that has one says they are very accurate and dependable.

I had a Ruger American in 30-06. One of the draw backs was that even with the safety on the bolt would open pretty easily. I had multiple instances where the bolt caught on brush and would either partly lift the bolt or open and eject the unfired round. Sometimes I noticed right away and sometimes I didn’t.

Since owning this rifle I now strongly prefer a 3 position safety. I also look for something with more rigidity in the stock.

Ultimately I sold mine and upgraded.

Like the posts above, most any of the shelf bolt rifle now will be pretty accurate and .308 is a good caliber. 15 hours is a lot of time to research- but most likely you will find good and bad reviews on almost any rifle out there.

I think it depends a lot on your budget and goals. Is he just trying it out or is this something you hope he will want to keep and use for a lifetime? Also depends on budget.

For a 15 year old I might also look at a Vortex scope due to the warranty. Leupold is great though and mostly what I use. I personally wouldn’t shoot game at 500 yards with a 3-9... maybe 4-12 or 3-15 with a adjustable turret.

I like the 7-08 or 308 option. Personally, I’d prefer a Rem 7/700 (*Mountain LSS Stainless anyone?) or a Winnie M70. Gently used is a fine option and given his age I’d suggest stainless in a synth stock of some kind. Talley lightweights and a VX3 3.5-10 with a CDS would make a rifle he could hunt with for 50 years.

Just a thought.

Ruger Americans aren’t bad for the money, but they are no longer as inexpensive as they used to be. Their price point for many models has crept up close to the same general range as a base model Savage 10/110, Howa, or even a Tikka. If you can find any of those for a good price you will be better off, but if you find a good deal on a Ruger American then I don’t think that you will be doing bad, either. I’ve also heard great things about the T/C budget rifles.

As far as scope goes, I don’t have experience with the Leupold VX Freedom line, but they are supposed to have good glass. I’d buy one of those over a cheap Vortex any day.

If you don’t handload then the .308 may be your best choice. Wide range of ammo options, including inexpensive practice ammo (practice is more critical to good shooting than an expensive gun or scope), tolerable recoil, and adequate power for almost all North American game. Other options include .270, 6.5 creedmoor (probably on the light side for heavier game, but perfect for deer sized game and ammo is now ubiquitous, varied and economical), and 7-08 (ammo availability and cost are unfortunately less favorable for this fine cartridge).

I fully understand what you are trying to accomplish because I have 3 kids myself. Finding something on a budget is the only/best option for most Americans when starting their kids out. My first guns were hand-me-downs, so don’t overlook buying a better quality used gun to likely get more value in the same price range. Regardless, I think that your son will be happy and well equipped, and the main thing is getting him outfitted and to the range and woods for quality time

Any of the Ruger or Savage models are great affordable rifles for a kid. I would look at the 7-08 or the 6.5 Creedmore great rounds low recoil. I'd prefer the 08.

One of my hunting partners here in Utah has used "nothing but the 308" for past 50 yrs! He uses the 150gr Corlokt whether factory or handloaded. Mule Deer, elk, and one big cow Bison! ( this was no Elsey the Cow but a wild Azz Henry Mountains buffalo) His rifle..a Browning BLR. He does like big scope objective bells, 50mm, for light gathering. No accounting for taste, ha. I would not go higher than 9x "because" it is easy to think you can shoot as far as you see...limit him to 300yds for awhile on game, but shoot rocks, etc as far as he wants! If he misses a rock, no big deal...just saying. So, "start him" with a budget rifle, sure, but have him work/save up money for a really nice rifle, one he can make memories with and cherish. Make do won't do. A used Savage Marlin Xs7 on Gunbroker maybe? Have fun though, its all a journey!

There is a used Marlin Xs7 in 308 on Gunbroker right now for $325. That would be my choice, and you can get parts to sweeten the trigger later.

Sound's like a newbe to me, young one at that. Not sure if he's asking about the rifle or cartridge? If it's the rifle only one way to really know. Go around to different sporting good store that sell rifles and look at rifle's. Simply look for one you like the feel of and looks of. Most rifle's made today are plenty accurate enough for big game hunting. If it's the cartridge, there's ton's of suitable cartridges for what your wanting. Anything legal in your state will work in the right hands, that is learn to shoot well and where to aim. Forget that 500 yds garbage, don't sound like your anywhere near ready for that. For a good cartridge, look for something on a 308 size case. 243, 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08, 308. For myself I believe the 243 will work even for elk but I haven't even used one on deer in a lot of years, better choices out there. Start with the 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Rem, six of one half dozen of the other. The reason for me is bullet's. a 140gr bullet trumps the 243's 100gr bullet in my book every time. Next step up is the 7mm-08. Great for what you want with the advantage of some heavier bullet's for elk size game. Not really needed but like a bit of extra insurance. Then the 308. One of my favorites for years it also come's in even heavier bullet's than the 7mm-08! As bullet diameter and weight goes up, so does recoil. Need to figure out where you are with recoil. At 15 I'd think none of these cartridge's will have to much recoil for you.

then there's cartridges on the 30-06 size case. Start at 25-06, to 270 to 280 to 30-06. Wouldn't suggest a 280 even if you could find one, ammo might be hard to come by, but great cartridge. In my mind the 25-06 is a great cartridge limited by bullet's. Heaviest you'll probably find is 120gr which would work well for what you want. But bit light for elk. Of course that's is myopinion I have the 25-06 and several other's with larger bore's. I'm more comfortable shooting elk with a 30 cal than a 25. Actually even my 6.5 cals I don't worry about on elk. The 270 is well proven over a lot of years and I shoudn't put it down but the fact is it never tripped my trigger. Rule out the 280 good as it is as probably just to limited ammo for it. 30-06 is a standard bearer in hunting cartridge's. Draw back of the larger cased cartridge's is increased recoil. That of course depends on what you can handle.

Of course if all your wanting to know about is the rifle, go look at and handle rifles. Don't let someone else choose a rifle for you. That's worse than letting someone else choose your wife!

Welcome to HT! There’s a whole lot of hunting that can be done 200 yards and in. The combo you mentioned would be a fine place to start.

If after hunting for a few years you or your son really get the itch to get into longer range shooting/hunting, I’d start saving up for something nicer like a mid-grade model Tikka or Browning and top with a higher magnification optic w/ a BDC reticle

Pretty much what everyone else is saying. I have a Ruger American in 308. Love the thing. Scopes are really a case of stick to quality brands and look though every scope a store has on display. For a 15 year old you may want to go with a standard cross hair reticle in a quality scope. Try not to over complicate it for the new shooter. Caliber wise yeah a 308 is good for most 15 year old boys, 7mm-08 and 270 are also great choices. Any standard cartridge between .27 and .30 will probably work fine for the young man. Be sure with whatever you put together buy several different types of ammunition for that caliber and see what shoots best, of course if you reload just try different loads to see what makes the rifle happy and tack driving. Good luck with what you get and let us know how it works out.

Hey Ruger Forums. This is my first post. I'm interested in a hunting rifle. I've been doing well over 15 hours of research on this. I don't want to have to buy a new gun after this for a while. I've narrowed down the Ruger American but not set and stone on it. I would have it chambered in a .308 Win. I would need to be able to knock down deer, elk, and bears at 500 (max). Any recommendations. I am thinking a leupold 3-9x40mm scope. Please throw some knowledge at me.

My Dad started me with a 270 when I was a teenager and I'm still using one at 62. Haven't ever really wanted to shoot a bear but I have killed a bunch of deer, some antelope, and a handful of elk with it.

Back