PEAX Equipment

Good hunt for my daughter and I?

Stackem

Thinking of splitting my 6 points in WY with my daughter. She'd be happy with anything size wise. I'd want a good representative. Looking for an area or region that won't kill her. Pronghorn was the plan, but I drew in the random last year and burnt my points so deer it is.
I've been out there 3 years in a row for pronghorn so I'm familiar with the system and website.
Thanks

They let you give away points in WY? I can see that being a problem with guys selling points.

no lol. you can split points on the same application. Someone with 6 points can apply with another hunter who has zero and they are treated as if they each have 3 points.

Yeah I know. We may even do some doe tags. It's all up to her
That would be my recommendation. They eat better and you can usually get more than one permit, depending on the area. The hunt is just as much fun, unless you are all wound up on horns. The permits are cheap, too. Personally, I would rather get more tags and have more opportunity to hunt, than to worry about how big the horns are. Just me.

Check out Centennial, WY. Cool little town, lots of NF access from there, season starts earlier than many units, so weather should be OK. If you call a couple places in town someone may give you some more insight.

Nope points are not shared or averaged in Colorado. The person with the lowest point total in the group applying determines the point total for the group. So if John has 3 points, Jim has 2 points, Fred has 6, and Larry has 5 and they apply together as a group application then they will be going in with the lowest point holder point quantity. So in this case they would go into the draw with 2 points because that is lowest point number. Jim is bringing down the whole group to a level of 2 points.

Are you looking to go into the regular or special draw splitting those 6 points? That would help narrow down some options.

Nope points are not shared or averaged in Colorado. The person with the lowest point total in the group applying determines the point total for the group. So if John has 3 points, Jim has 2 points, Fred has 6, and Larry has 5 and they apply together as a group application then they will be going in with the lowest point holder point quantity. So in this case they would go into the draw with 2 points because that is lowest point number. Jim is bringing down the whole group to a level of 2 points.

It's not something i'm up it. I'm a solo hunter. I just knew a group of hunters can apply together and share points. The way you explain it doesn't sound like a good deal. Why would they do that?

It's not something i'm up it. I'm a solo hunter. I just knew a group of hunters can apply together and share points. The way you explain it doesn't sound like a good deal. Why would they do that?
I think Colorado Parks & Wildlife does it so folks don’t get together on a random online forum and decide to band together for application purposes. It prevents people who aren’t really a party applying as a party. I like it. Colorado’s point creep is bad enough as is.

Last edited:
Wyoming averages out points on a party hunt application. One in the party has 10 and other one has 2, their draw is based on 6 points each.

As to a good place to hunt, I recommend the BLM land surrounding Rawlins and be competent with On-X maps because there are blocks of private in with that. Get away from the roads and look in the valleys and that.

As stated a few times, when you put in as a group in Colorado, you do not 'share' points. If one guy has 15 points, one guys has 7 pts and the other guy has 0 pts, the group is drawn as if each of the 3 guys have the lowest points among the group members so they would be drawn as if they have 'ZERO/0/Nada/Nunka/Nothing/Zip' points. That is not sharing...

As stated a few times, when you put in as a group in Colorado, you do not 'share' points. If one guy has 15 points, one guys has 7 pts and the other guy has 0 pts, the group is drawn as if each of the 3 guys have the lowest points among the group members so they would be drawn as if they have 'ZERO/0/Nada/Nunka/Nothing/Zip' points. That is not sharing...

I know. I researched it. I still call is sharing points to put in as one for the draw. Not really that important. It's not something i'd ever do.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back