Good for you Botswana

we all hunt for our own reasons. if i can't bring home the meat i just ain't gonna do it.

to each their own.
Africa isn't my thing. I've donated some deer back in the day. I was single worked about 70 plus hours a week and farmed on the side on top of that. I knew if I put it in the freezer at that time being a bachelor I'd never cook hardly any of it, i also wasnt going to not go hunting that year with my one week off. Had a few rolls of salami made and donated the rest. Did that for several years.

Perhaps it would be good use of your time @BuzzH (and anyone else that thinks hunting without bringing meat home is a bad way to hunt) to go read the recap of my trip last summer to Argentina where my wife and I hunted waterfowl, blackbuck and axis deer.
Are you just trying to get traffic to your thread? 🤣

It is a trophy hunt that everyone I know that has gone which is many would definitely not of gone had the money they paid not helped where needed and the meat would be left to rot. Are there some out there that wouldn't care either way sure, but I haven't met them or have that kind of people in my circle. Your broad brush says everyone that goes to Africa is an asshole and doesn't care about anything but the trophy. It's insulting. I have friends who went and brought nothing home (no ivories, no feet, etc..) but like to hunt and to them its money well spent and work well spent to help others out. Like donating to a charity except you get an adventure out of it. But your so $*)Q!#@$ cynical your brain can't comprehend people doing good things. Everybody in the world is a bunch of ****s looking out for just themselves. It's damn sad you have been exposed to so much assholery in your life that you are the way you are.

Praying for you Buzz to see the positives before the negatives. 🙏
It's awesome some African's are employed with peanut wages, all the neck meat they can eat, and a couple pairs of coveralls a year. Really helps out.

It's awesome to have your clothes washed and pressed everyday, being waited on hand and foot, knowing how great a life you're providing for the staff that does all the work on your trophy hunt.

Is what it is, but not my style. The work is 50% of the hunt for me and I don't want others doing it for me. In particular for slave wages.

I like to sleep at night.

It's awesome some African's are employed with peanut wages, all the neck meat they can eat, and a couple pairs of coveralls a year. Really helps out.

It's awesome to have your clothes washed and pressed everyday, being waited on hand and foot, knowing how great a life you're providing for the staff that does all the work on your trophy hunt.

Is what it is, but not my style. The work is 50% of the hunt for me and I don't want others doing it for me. In particular for slave wages.
Weird not how the hunts have been described to me at all, but you can believe what your liberal professor friends tell you and I'll believe what my working class blue collar friends tell me about their hunts. I have zero desire to go either for the record so at least we agree on that part.

Africa isn't my thing. I've donated some deer back in the day. I was single worked about 70 plus hours a week and farmed on the side on top of that. I knew if I put it in the freezer at that time being a bachelor I'd never cook hardly any of it, i also wasnt going to not go hunting that year with my one week off. Had a few rolls of salami made and donated the rest. Did that for several years.
Farming as apart time job? I didn’t think you were supposed to say that part out loud.

Weird not how the hunts have been described to me at all, but you can believe what your liberal professor friends tell you and I'll believe what my working class blue collar friends tell me about their hunts. I have zero desire to go either for the record so at least we agree on that part.
Yeah, the last people I'd believe are people that were born there, lived there, still live there and are actively involved in wildlife management in Africa.

What a clown.

Oh, and I know plenty of people that have hunted Africa, some several times. They have the same stories of being pampered, which they all talk about a lot.

Ask them how many animals they dressed, packed, or even put a knife on.

Yeah, the last people I'd believe are people that were born there, lived there, still live there and are actively involved in wildlife management in Africa.

What a clown.
Yea im sure your lib prof friend has gone on every hunt that's ever happened in Africa. Oh wait maybe he is just generalizing it the way he wants to.

Ask them how many animals they dressed, packed, or even put a knife on
It's a trophy hunt buzz....your words. Some people like to do it for the bravado and bragadocious bullshit, others like to do it cause it's a fun adventure that helps with conservation and they like to hunt.
Are your friends that went on these hunts assholes?

Yea im sure your lib prof friend has gone on every hunt that's ever happened in Africa. Oh wait maybe he is just generalizing it the way he wants to.
Yeah, they've killed about everything in Africa multiple times, cost of doing business in wildlife research.

It's a trophy hunt buzz....your words. Some people like to do it for the bravado and bragadocious bullshit, others like to do it cause it's a fun adventure that helps with conservation and they like to hunt.
Are your friends that went on these hunts assholes?

Really, it took you that long to come to the conclusion that hunting in Africa is trophy hunting?

Well at least you got there.

At what point did we get to it has to be one way or the other? Can some people not go trophy hunting while others simply hunt to fill the freezer? Does it have to be exclusive? I've never been to Africa and I may never get to but given the opportunity I would go and enjoy the trophy hunt and come back home and start filling the freezer on local game lands. A wealthy business executive may have no interest in shooting whitetail does with me but if given the opportunity to go on an elephant hunt or an expensive golf or sailing trip I could appreciate the fact that he chose the adventure of the hunt. I need no explantation / apology from him that the meat was used by villagers to defend his adventure. It's hunting and it's adventure. I get it even if I can't afford it. I guess reading a healthy dose of Ruark helps me understand that both shooting whitetails here in NC and trophy hunting in Africa can both be meaningful, adventurous, and worth your time.

At what point did we get to it has to be one way or the other? Can some people not go trophy hunting while others simply hunt to feel the freezer? Does it have to be exclusive? I've never been to Africa and I may never get to but given the opportunity I would go and enjoy the trophy hunt and come back home and start filling the freezer on local game lands. A wealthy business executive may have no interest in shooting whitetail does with me but if given the opportunity to go on an elephant hunt or an expensive golf or sailing trip I could appreciate the fact that he chose the adventure of the hunt. I need no explantation / apology from him that the meat was used by villagers to defend his adventure. It's hunting and it's adventure. I get it even if I can't afford it. I guess reading a healthy dose of Ruark helps me understand that both shooting whitetails here in NC and trophy hunting in Africa can both be meaningful, adventurous, and worth your time.
I don't think I'd do Africa if somebody paid for me. Just not my thing. Like Buzz said the work is half the hunt. I'm in that same camp. However I'll bet the meat in Africa gets put to better use than a lot of guys who take it to the processor and then bring it home and the wife won't eat it or whatever and it ends up in the dumpster after a couple years. It happens a lot. Never understood that, why not just donate it to a food pantry. They're are programs for that literally everywhere.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd do Africa if somebody paid for me. Just not my thing. Like Buzz said the work is half the hunt. I'm in that same camp. However I'll bet the meat in Africa gets put to better use than a lot of guys who take it to the procsessor and then bring it home and the wife won't eat it or whatever and it ends up in the dumpster after a couple years. It happens a lot. Never understood that, why not just donate it to a food pantry. They're are programs for that literally everywhere.
I can respect that. I enjoy the whole process of the hunt as well. From scouting trips to the putting the processed meat in the freezer I wanna be a part of it all if possible. I think Buzz is right about it being the same old story. We've all heard it. They tell the story about justifying the kill for the use of the meat by the villagers and I don't want the apology or the explanation. I would be okay with it if they just said we are going trophy hunting. I'm not much of a trophy hunter myself but I am okay with those who are. As long as it's legal and within their means. Often times it seems hunting is viewed through the lens of what it means to us and it's easy to say we'd never wanna do that but I think I could enjoy Africa once in my life and still go back to what I consider normal hunting here. I'd have to get the money first though so 🤷‍♂️

I don't think I'd do Africa if somebody paid for me. Just not my thing. Like Buzz said the work is half the hunt. I'm in that same camp. However I'll bet the meat in Africa gets put to better use than a lot of guys who take it to the procsessor and then bring it home and the wife won't eat it or whatever and it ends up in the dumpster after a couple years. It happens a lot. Never understood that, why not just donate it to a food pantry. They're are programs for that literally everywhere.
Who says you can't go international on a guided trip and not put in the work too?

What part isn't true?
That’s the hell of it Buzz, what you said is true, it’s all “trophy” hunting. Every critter me or you has ever killed would be a trophy to someone. If you don’t understand why making the existence of those animals valuable to the locals is important, then you will own a small portion of the blame for their eventual extinction. The more those 100 pounders are worth the better off the species will be.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back