Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Good Day in the Swamp

JTHOMP

One of my favorite WMAs is in the heart of the Atchafalaya Basin. Small game hunting while scouting late season in February I was optimistic about the buck sign I saw. Next weekend is rifle season bucks only so I decided to spend Saturday adding a few squirrels to the freeze and harass the pigs while scouting for the weekend.

Unfortunately deer sign and squirrel movement was almost nonexistent. Out of all the miles covered only saw one squirrel and no deer. Didn’t pass up the chance to take the squirrel home. Although I did have some interesting encounters with a few other critters. When close to the edge of a cypress swamp I bumped a group of turkeys and continued to bump them when I was crossing the swamp. Never spent much time around them, but for some reason don’t get excited about hunting them. Seeing a giant bird fly through the top of cypress treeing and smacking limbs with its wings was pretty cool though. With the group broken up and spread out they would cluck and yelp to each other.

I slowly made my way through the swamp while listening to them and found a coon feeding on a raised piece of ground between two cypress trees. He was the first meat in the game bag. While cleaning the coon the turkeys were really doing some cutting up. Made my way to the other side of the swamp and picked up the squirrel. Hour later I found the first good pig sigh and continued walking the general direction I wanted to go while following pig trails for another .5 mile.

Pigs often like to root places on the edge of water. That can be rivers and sloughs or small depressions in the woods that contain a couple inches of water. There’s numerous depressions in these woods. I kept thinking how there’s tons of rootings but none are fresh since they all have clear water. Finally found something to get excited about when I found a muddy rooting. Continued walking and within 100yds I caught a glimpse of black 10yds in front of me. All I could see was his butt and tail, but from the movement I could tell he was still rooting and didn’t know I was there. As close as I was I didn’t want to take anymore steps. Unfortunately at this time it was starting to warm up and the wind was squirreling. I begged and begged in my head for him to step out from behind the tree before he smelled me. All of a sudden you would have thought I had run up and kicked him. He smelled me and it was over. I walked a little ways and decided to sit down and take a decent rest. My legs were tired and stalking was getting sloppy so I sat and rest for 30 minutes and cleaned the squirrel.

Started walking the way I had came in route to check another area farther north. The wind was greatly in my favor. Got to the same spot where I was winded and this time there was a group of sows and shoats working over the area. I watched them long enough waiting for a clear head shot with the .17hmr that I could tell at least 2 sows were still nursing or had just finished. I made extra sure to identify a mature sow and dropped her at 70yds. Pigs went in all directions. Some of the little ones ran near me but I missed.

Cut her up, put the meat in the pack, and checked the last area before going back to the boat. Bet black ovis never expected a coonass to fill an elk size game bag with a coon, squirrel, and a pig. No deer sign worth hunting, but covered a lot of miles and had a good day in the swamp.

392DC037-B5F7-435A-A6F5-931578CB355F.jpeg

51C72BA7-4C4E-4844-BE44-ABD4278C82A8.jpeg

5D4BA3E0-B0A3-468B-A69C-00240815603F.jpeg

I truly love hunting the swamps here on the Gulf Coast for hogs. Most of us here on this site (my self included) either hunt the western states, are interested in hunting the western states, or fantasize about it.
Sometimes though, I just need to stop and appreciate what we have here. In Texas and Louisiana, we have a plentiful, challenging, and tasty big game animal that we can hunt 365 days a year. No tags, no closed season, no limits, what ever weapon or method you choose. Hogs can be a real pain sometimes, but they can be a blessing for hunters as well.
Excellent write up. I enjoy reading your posts!

Reactions: LCH
I truly love hunting the swamps here on the Gulf Coast for hogs. Most of us here on this site (my self included) either hunt the western states, are interested in hunting the western states, or fantasize about it.
Sometimes though, I just need to stop and appreciate what we have here. In Texas and Louisiana, we have a plentiful, challenging, and tasty big game animal that we can hunt 365 days a year. No tags, no closed season, no limits, what ever weapon or method you choose. Hogs can be a real pain sometimes, but they can be a blessing for hunters as well.
Excellent write up. I enjoy reading your posts!

Just like you I came to this site for the reason of western hunting. I still enjoy reading people’s western adventures, buy points for elk and antelope in WY, and envy those who have general tags. I hunted Arkansas mountains last season as a learning stepping stone to going West. Since then I realized that we have many jewels in the South. My western experiences have been working in West Texas and central Oklahoma. Looking forward to going West one day, but there are many good hunts to make within a couple hours or a day drive away. More than I have time for.

I hate these pigs. But I love the meat and the hunt is challenging yet easy enough to be regularly successful. It’s a good hunt.

Just got in my first swamp hog hunt last week. As a Pa. Deer hunter, U guys got it goin on with the swamps. Saw good sign in places, still hunted 4 hours and just crossed around to get the basic lay of the land of the WMA. I can see it's gonna have a big learning curve but I'm back out tmarra for lesson #2.

Just got in my first swamp hog hunt last week. As a Pa. Deer hunter, U guys got it goin on with the swamps. Saw good sign in places, still hunted 4 hours and just crossed around to get the basic lay of the land of the WMA. I can see it's gonna have a big learning curve but I'm back out tmarra for lesson #2.

Congrats on the pig! What state are you hunting in? I love it late season in the swamp...partly because early season can be miserable. It's definitely is a learning curve of learning how the animals use a flooded and often changing landscape, but they can be patterned. Especially the pigs. Some of those big bucks have evolved with webbed hoofs and floaties.

Congrats on the pig! What state are you hunting in? I love it late season in the swamp...partly because early season can be miserable. It's definitely is a learning curve of learning how the animals use a flooded and often changing landscape, but they can be patterned. Especially the pigs. Some of those big bucks have evolved with webbed hoofs and floaties.
Haven't collected a pig yet, but we'd tryin'. Seein Gators, snappers, turkey, and good otter sign. We're hunting Green Swamp in Fla. Lots of ground to learn.

Haven't collected a pig yet, but we'd tryin'. Seein Gators, snappers, turkey, and good otter sign. We're hunting Green Swamp in Fla. Lots of ground to learn.

Quick google search and looks like a ton of public land there. Hope yall get on some. Me and my girlfriend are going with my buddy and his wife to hit the woods in north Louisiana to try to kill a few more this weekend.

Quick google search and looks like a ton of public land there. Hope yall get on some. Me and my girlfriend are going with my buddy and his wife to hit the woods in north Louisiana to try to kill a few more this weekend.
Good luck brother, stay safe

Where are you headed up here in North Louisiana?

Kisatchie Evangeline Unit

This is my fifth trip up here this season. Was here in August, September, primitive weekend and rifle weekend. All those trips couldn’t get away from pigs. Killed a few and should’ve killed twice that many.
Ain’t seen the first one on this trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back