Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Good books for the backcountry

A few years ago I read about half of East of Eden while sitting in a ground blind. Great book but it's a big honker. I wouldn't recommend packing it a around. I always pack a paperback though and I tend to lean toward the classics or really weird science fiction. This year Its going to be 100 Years of Solitude by Marquez or Slade House by David Michell.

Same for me with Suttree, finally finishing during down time on an elk hunt. McCarthy's morbid free verse is like a sledge hit to the senses. Cormac disdains happy endings to say the least.

Blood Meridian is a must read IMO.

I'm done with Cormac McCarthy. What a bunch of overrated, gratuitous tripe.

Lost in the Yellowstone: Truman Everts's "Thirty-Seven Days of Peril" - by Truman Everts. First hand account of being lost in the Yellowstone backcountry after getting separated from the Washburn Expedition in 1870. Short book (50ish pages) and makes for a really captivating read, even being of period writing.

A Walk in The Woods by Bill Bryson. Been years since I read this but I enjoyed it.

A Walk in The Woods by Bill Bryson. Been years since I read this but I enjoyed it.

I preferred Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything (or something like that). It should be mandatory reading in middle/high school.

3 good series set in MN -- Two by John Sandford, the "Prey" series and the "Virgil Flowers" series; and the William Kent Kruger ("Cork O'Connor" series).

Into the Wild...Jon Krakauer

The Long Walk: A True Story of a Trek for Freedom... Slamovir Rawicz

Lord of the Flies...Sir William Golding

I will be (finally) finishing Blood Meridian on a float hunt next week. I've picked that book up and set it back down numerous times because I didn't think I was in the right frame of mind to read it cover to cover. Hoping 10 days in Alaska will fix that.

i just picked up a copy of Blood Meridian for a 10 hunt. I'll start it on the drive to the trailhead. I've heard its quite the tough read.

I'm going to read ivan doig's bucking the sun while I'm on my hunt in the breaks this year. Seems fitting based on the setting and as a civil engineer fort peck dam has always fascinated me since I was a kid. I'm a real nerd at heart.:)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back