MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Gone Hunting

KC

I'm at work now and it's Haloween. So everybody is wearing costumes. I'm wearing the costume of a guy who plans to leave to go hunting straight from work.
wink.gif

It's been warm and dry for most of the early seasons. But the weather is crappy now; cold and wet. The roads are icing up and it's snowing in the mountains. The weather forecast is for several more days like today. PERFECT!
biggrin.gif

Wish me luck.

KC

I'm back. Dropped off the animals at the butcher yesterday.

Filled my bull tag on Saturday morning. Nice rack but kind of small for a 6x6. No pictures. I slowly/quietly came over a gentle ridge and there were two bulls in a clearing about 100 yards away. Found a slot through the aspen trees and dropped the big one with a shot in the spine.
elkgrin.gif

Pulling the trigger was like turning on a switch. It started snowing immediately and by the time I finished field dressing the bull, there was 2" of snow on the ground. A buddy was hunting with me and we were 4 miles from the truck in a blizzard/whiteout. Wandered in the blinding sleet for about an hour, navigating by compass towards a fence line that would lead us to the truck.
eek.gif
Finally sought shelter in a stock shed and waited out the storm. Four of us hawled him out the next day in backpacks.

I blew a chance at filling my cow tag on Monday morning. Just got so excited at cresting a rise and seeing +/- 30 elk before they saw me that I took a poorly aimed shot (+/- 300 yards) and they vacated the area. One would think that after hunting for 40+ years it wouldn't be all that exciting any longer. But I hope I never lose that excitement. It's why I hunt. But I also hope to minimize situations like Monday morning.

Snow flurries came and went for most of the season. On Thursday, I filled my buck tag with a small mulie. Ought to be good eating. He was small enough that I could drag him about a mile through the snow, down about 1,000 feet and through a willow marsh to the road.

Had a great adventure and good time with friends.

KC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back