Goldendoodles

Looking at getting a male goldendoodle. Wondering if anyone has any experience
My son has one. If you are looking for a pet they are awesome. He has a great personality and sheds very little. Great with other pets and kids. His has zero hunting instincts that I can see other than maybe a little prey drive. Maybe the right breeder would have hunting doodles but I haven’t seen it around here. I think his coat would be a nightmare in the field.

Grandsons had one and he was a great pet, very smart ... but only in outsmarting his owners. He loved to eat and sleep ... and to run over to the neighbor's place to play with other dogs. Even after obedience classes, he seldom responded to instructions ... unless it involved favorite chow. He ate about anything. Once grandma spent hours and hours baking, shaping, and decorating a dinosaur birthday cake. Tall Howard, the goldendoodle, stood up to the kitchen counter and devoured / destroyed the dino cake ... with a frosting covered smile beaming back at the scolding!:)

Looking at getting a male goldendoodle. Wondering if anyone has any experience

I live 20 minutes south of the center of the goldendoodle universe (or so it seems at my daughters' soccer fields every weekend), so I'm a bona fide expert...although I don't own one myself. Every goldendoodle or any other 'doodle' cross I've met has been a weirdo, likely because they are usually raised in tiny yards in suburbia where they don't get enough exercise, training, or attention, and therefore go berserk when finally let out of the house. good luck, ymmv.

You could make a worse choice ... but definitely better too. I haven't met many I would want to own but that usually speaks to the calibre of people who acquire them. Mostly it's old cougar divorcee/widows with a Subaru and kayak on top. No exaggeration! Typically they don't have a clue about how to train a dog.

Get a Lab. You just can't go wrong with one of those.
20210719_093912.jpg20210125_112007.jpg

Maggie is a good dog. Not much drive but picked up the idea on forest grouse her first fall. Good lord her fur picks up every kind of burr.

Maggie is a wilderness dog. Here in the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex. Will bark at bears.

Attachments

• mag dog Stanton Lake.jpg
    mag dog Stanton Lake.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
Got my daughter a golden doodle because of allergies. We have a big yard and have her on a wireless fence. She’s very… strange. She’s sweet, but also excitable. A nervous pee-er. And she eats random things, like:
Rocks
Crayons
Paper
My daughters socks
My daughter’s scrunchies
My daughter’s underwear

No joke, you can easily distinguish between her “piles” and our boxer-mix’s “piles” in the yard by the color. She has passed numerous whole socks, panties, and scrunchies. And her “piles” leave remnants that my daughter has to clean up before each mowing.

And everyone that I know that has a golden doodle has the same problems out of theirs

My sister has one. He's getting up there in age but has been a great dog. Goofy as hell, but quite obedient.

We’ve got one and for a family dog they are great. Haven’t had any of the weirdness others have described. Liked to chew on everything as a puppy, but grew out of that pretty quick. We got one due to allergies, but wouldn’t hesitate to get another.

Louie is a labradoodle. Lots of pictures of him on boats and sxs in the forum. He’s a house dog, outdoor dog, but not a sporting dog. He’s been easy to train, never was a chewer, and the only things he can’t resist on the counter are breads and triscuits. He’s a shedding fool, on any day I can comb a Pekingese worth of fur from him,, he picks up any seeds in the sticks, and he’s a big oaf, at 100 lbs. both parents were about 45. If you want a big lapdog, I’d recommend, probably not so much for a field dog 757AE046-30C4-4EB7-ABEA-4D649C81122F.jpegDA2D851A-1ECF-45F2-9541-08E1FAAD4998.jpeg

I know a couple outdoors folks who enjoy this breed as an outdoors dog. While the Golden gets recognized as an outdoors dog I thought the standard poodle was breed to be a sporting dog. I know a fellow who raised them for dog mushing and entered the Iditarod. Had a problem with their outer hair freezing to the ground. But pretty durable n strong

I read somewhere that the guy that "invented" the goldendoodles regrets that he ever did it. I don't recall why, and I don't really care, myself. But, I certainly support and welcome those serious breeders that have brought Goldens back from the brink of overpopularity-induced, genetic free fall.

You could make a worse choice ... but definitely better too. I haven't met many I would want to own but that usually speaks to the calibre of people who acquire them. Mostly it's old cougar divorcee/widows with a Subaru and kayak on top. No exaggeration! Typically they don't have a clue about how to train a dog.

Get a Lab. You just can't go wrong with one of those.
View attachment 189529View attachment 189530
Lost my lab "Holly" this past March at 14 years old, your dog looks just like her. Labs are the best!

Friends had one. He was a fantastic pet. Very people friendly. Can't speak to hunting as they weren't hunters.

I have a 7 yr old Goldendoodle. He's an F1 and 105#s. I talked recently to a breeder and he called them playful. I know mine loves to play' He was a little headstrong as a pup but once we got on the same page as to what he would respond to we did fine. He's an average or better hunting dog. I hunt birds about 12 or more times year and he is eager to go. I had 3 Golden retrievers before this one, all hunters, and he is just as good. He really doesn't shed. He has a Golden Retriever disposition. The one thing that is very different is that since they don't shed they need to be trimmed about every 8-12 wks. I bought a trimmer and do it myself. I think to get a non shedder and hypoallergenic it needs to be an F1. Great dog.

Resized_imagejpeg_0(4).jpgIMG_20200412_143223.jpgResized_20180903_100825.jpegwe have a 4yr old golden doodle named Sophie. Obedient inside and outside until the leash is unhooked. She's a sweet dog and a goofball. Very well tempered and loves kids.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back