Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Gold Panning Results

WyoDoug

Note this image is magnified 10x but comes from one shovel full of dirt I panned on my first time out in an area I got permission from the claim owner. I got a bunch more flour gold but that takes more work and on a 1-10 difficulty level, I would rate flour gold as an 8 to pan it out cleanly. Anyways this is my side hobby when I am taking a break from hunting and fishing or when I am out just camping. Edit: To put perspective on size of the gold below, it will fit in a half inch grid on graph paper.

GoldProspecting 6Jan22.jpg

Last edited:
Anyways this is my side hobby when I am taking a break from hunting and fishing or when I am out just camping.

I got a gold panning kit for exactly that reason right there. I'm from Texas and don't know squat about it really, so I've been trying to learn from the YouTubers but it looks like there's a lot of different methods and techniques out there.

How's the curve for learning when you're out there actually panning? It seems like like it wouldn't be too bad, but also seems like one of those things where an unrecognized bad habit can cause a lot of problems. Are there any videos or books you'd recommend to someone looking to start hobby panning?

That crystal nugget top center is stellar! Finding one of those must be cool as can be!

How big was the shovel?
Garden shovel. Finding something like this in one shovel is generally rare. The ore in this area is rated at 0.116 grams per ton of processed ore. Spot value of what you are seeing in the image is about $26.00.

Last edited:
I got a gold panning kit for exactly that reason right there. I'm from Texas and don't know squat about it really, so I've been trying to learn from the YouTubers but it looks like there's a lot of different methods and techniques out there.

How's the curve for learning when you're out there actually panning? It seems like like it wouldn't be too bad, but also seems like one of those things where an unrecognized bad habit can cause a lot of problems. Are there any videos or books you'd recommend to someone looking to start hobby panning?

That crystal nugget top center is stellar! Finding one of those must be cool as can be!
Way I learned is watching videos on how to identify gold to start with and it helps that I have friends that prospect regularly. The learning curve is different for each individual. If you got a basic understanding on how to identify metals you should pick up identifying gold fairly fast. Gold is highly malleable so if you wack it with a hammer it should flatten out. Pyrite which is commonly confused with gold will shatter into small pieces. I am a Gold Prospectors Association of America member which also helps because you get exposed to experienced prospectors on real claims you can pan on and keep what you find. Gold has a metallic look regardless of the light angle where fools gold (usually iron pyrite) the color changes when you change the light source and angle. For most the learning curve will be quick. Key is get in with GPAA or groups that have experienced prospectors as members. I found everyone so far more than willing to share their knowledge and help you learn.

Well I meant more in the techniques of panning and collecting, rather than IDing and locating. I've got some little pieces of gold I've bought over the years, and have been able to spend time examining different raw mined/panned gold in person now that I live in MT. My focus now is on actually building the skill of panning and collecting. I looked into mercury extraction for powdery gold and it looks SUPER dangerous, so I'll probably never get to that point.

Though there are two other debates I'm interested in: Sampling (and where and how to sample a location), and working old tailings and claims. I lived in Seattle for a few years, where I got way into garnet hunting and other rock hounding, and a couple gold people I knew there were reglious about working old mine tailings and abandoned/expired claims. Some others were convinced that if you didn't own property and fresh claims, you were wasting time. I figured people just stick to what's worked for them, and there's actually a lot of different stuff that works.

Well I meant more in the techniques of panning and collecting, rather than IDing and locating. I've got some little pieces of gold I've bought over the years, and have been able to spend time examining different raw mined/panned gold in person now that I live in MT. My focus now is on actually building the skill of panning and collecting. I looked into mercury extraction for powdery gold and it looks SUPER dangerous, so I'll probably never get to that point.

Though there are two other debates I'm interested in: Sampling (and where and how to sample a location), and working old tailings and claims. I lived in Seattle for a few years, where I got way into garnet hunting and other rock hounding, and a couple gold people I knew there were reglious about working old mine tailings and abandoned/expired claims. Some others were convinced that if you didn't own property and fresh claims, you were wasting time. I figured people just stick to what's worked for them, and there's actually a lot of different stuff that works.
I would avoid mercury at all costs. Disposing of the waste comes with special precautions and it is extremely dangerous and should be done ONLY by people who are trained and know what they are doing handling mercury.

I prefer the oxidation process using crucibels and things like soda ash or other stuff depending what I want to oxidize. I would look into getting yourself a kiln and a variety of crucibels, graphite molds, and related tools and gloves. For example, if you have a sample alloyed with lead, you can put portland cement in the middle of a crucible and then put your gold/lead alloy in the crucible and the lead will oxidize and be absorbed into the portland cement. You can also use soda ash for this purpose. With right portions, you will be left with 99.99% pure gold. Some metals are harder to oxidize and require research. Copper is one that is harder to oxidize in a kiln but I saw a video on it and need more research myself. A good kiln can be had for less than a grand and all the remaining equipment for another $500 and that will last you a LONG time if you take care of it.

I don't like the chemical processes so once I get past the smelting steps, I will sell my gold.

I am friends with a guy who has a degree in mining engineering which is a huge help to me. If you can seek out guys like that and dig their brains a bit, you will learn rather quickly.

Back