Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Going to Wisconsin

This this this

Catch em when they're just getting warmed up. 100% the best time to find a good buck, is when they're starting to increase movement leading up to the rut, not at the ruts peak
I always did the opposite and focused on after peak rut and hunted pinch points thinking the boys just got a taste and are out searching for more. I usually hunted bigger timber areas in northern Wisconsin and November 11-15 was always my more productive days.

do any of you midwest whitetail hunters ever get the itch to just climb down late morning and do some still hunting?

i feel like the temptation for me is gonna be awful bad. my gut tells me it's a no no tho

My private land properties are all relatively small and strategy is heavily focused on keeping human scent, sight, and sound completely absent from most of the property. Which means still hunting is a no go. I'm frequently trying to get into a stand within 200 yards of where the deer i'm hunting are hopefully bedded so getting in undetected and staying there undetected is difficult enough. If your in-laws dont manage things tight and walk all over the property then by all means still hunting til you find a good ground ambush spot to sit a while could work well.

Up in the northwoods where it is USFS / county owned tax forfeit / open corporate timber lands for miles still hunting is absolutely on the menu a lot.

I think if you do not have an arrow nocked the last week in October you would be amiss!

Togie needs to sit in an elevated rifle blind, with a partner, and when they see a legal buck, both of them can open fire with multiple rounds.

Play the wind, but don't be like some of my hairbrained buddies that refuse to hunt if it isn't perfect. If it's a decent spot deer will be running all over the place and they get a little fast and loose with their senses.

do any of you midwest whitetail hunters ever get the itch to just climb down late morning and do some still hunting?

i feel like the temptation for me is gonna be awful bad. my gut tells me it's a no no tho
Many big bucks killed mid/late morning cruising. I actually started giving up some first light mornings and start at 8-9, so I’m there for the late morning bucks. You start walking you’ll be In wrong spot or just bumping deer.

All but one of the bucks 3.5 or older I've killed have all been in morning and I'm pretty sure all but one of those were killed after 8:30 am. If you can handle sitting there all day I strongly recommend it. Especially in a transition area during the rut.

If I was gun hunting I’d have no issue sitting on the ground or doing this.
Archery prob not

Unless you're hunting a large property (700+ acres) AND it's light rain/snow, absolutely no.

They’ll have multiple stands ready to go for me. I’ll just be showing up to play haha
Oct 25 to gun opener, throw a dart at the calendar and hunt that. I grew up and still hunt very close to where you're going, and it can be a crapshoot on dates at times. Keep in mind what kind of crops you're around. Last year it was wet, our beans were gone in October but our corn didn't go until Thanksgiving week. We had snow early but the bucks were running does in standing corn instead of inside the woods. Hunt whatever stand you can where the wind is in your face.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back