Going to Wisconsin

TOGIE

Okay cheeseheads, I could use some wisconsin insight.

I'm going to Wisconsin this fall for deer. My issue is it's basically entirely up to me when I go and I'm not entirely certain how to plan it out. I have in laws land to hunt on.

Should I go out for archery rut? Should I go out for gun? Should I go out and straddle the archery/gun dates and do a couple days of both? Primary reason to straddle the dates is I can keep thanksgiving week a little more intact to be back at home with the rest of my family, and i think i'm looking to go out for 4th season mule deer at home.

Obviously, i'm asking my in laws these questions and they have good answers. But i'm looking for some good keyboard warrior input as well.

Really the only primary thing to consider is that I will have a wyoming general elk tag. That blacks out the entire second half of october and all of september (calculus changes dramatically should I fill the elk tag with my bow).

rut is like end of october right?

would it even be worth trying a couple days of archery before the gun season starts? Or just go out with my gun for 4 days? Thing to consider there... it's a whole family show for gun season, so it's busier. Part of me like's the idea of testing my willpower and patience for long rut sits in the stand while i'm not competing with the rest of the family for good spots.

Peak rut occurs around the first weeked of November. That would be a sweet time to be out bow hunting. Bucks will be getting fired up at the end of October but they won't be in dum-dum mode quite yet.

Social part of your hunt aside here- from a hunting perspective, there is no comparison- go bow hunt. To me, nothing beats a late October sit in hardwoods with a bow in your hand- I plan everything else throughout yhe year around that.

Full-on “rut” (ie chasing all over) is usually first full week of November, but I always like to plan for the week containing Halloween.

I prefer to hunt more of the seeking stage as opposed to crazy chasing activity- while it is a blast to watch them chasing, I think they are easier to pattern and kill just before that occurs.

What part of the state TOGIE?

If I had to pick a time to be in the stand for a vacation I would look at Halloween and pick that time as my ballpark. Maybe start that time and stay through the week after. If you are flexible watch the weather and avoid any block of time that is predicted to be over 55f as it slows down daytime movement. The rut will be cranking from the 3rd weekend of October on, but the longer you wait the more bucks are gone due to the crossbow use has really put a game changer on how many bucks make it to rifle season.

Social part of your hunt aside here- from a hunting perspective, there is no comparison- go bow hunt. To me, nothing beats a late October sit in hardwoods with a bow in your hand- I plan everything else throughout yhe year around that.

this is something i keep thinking about. it sounds like such a cool experience to me, especially have never done it.

What part of the state TOGIE?

southwest dane county. i would suspect peak rut timing kinda fluctuates between the south and north of the state? not that peak rut matters a ton to me, necessarily.

If I had to pick a time to be in the stand for a vacation I would look at Halloween and pick that time as my ballpark. Maybe start that time and stay through the week after.

i'm liking this idea

southwest dane county. i would suspect peak rut timing kinda fluctuates between the south and north of the state? not that peak rut matters a ton to me, necessarily.
Not much change from south and north part of the state, the lattitude change is not enough to really do much IMO. Here's my final take, the rifle season is boring, kind of lame and cheesy. If you want some comfortable time in the woods with some heart pounding out of your chest moments do archery and forget the rifle season

am i reading this right? because i'm a "new buyer" i only have to spend 80 bucks on an archery deer tag? half off? or is that just an archery permit and i have to buy a deer tag?

but the gun license is only 80 bucks?

160 is cheap anyway, which is what i thought it was?

1679434241208.png

I live across the river in Iowa and I’ve killed all of my biggest archery deer in October. Early October. You see them during the rut, but they don’t stop or aren’t on the trail you need them to be on. Our rut is the first 2 weeks of November but like others have said, Halloween seems to be the beginning of the crux.

am i reading this right? because i'm a "new buyer" i only have to spend 80 bucks on an archery deer tag? half off? or is that just an archery permit and i have to buy a deer tag?

but the gun license is only 80 bucks?

160 is cheap anyway, which is what i thought it was?

View attachment 269393

No additional license required for you, that’s all you need. It’s part of a program to encourage new hunters (or new to WI).

First Time Buyers

I hope you like it so much you come every year. I love western hunting, but although completely different the tree stand cat and mouse game is a blast as well. Choosing the wrong tree, even being off by 10 yards, can make all the difference.

Sitting in a tree stand on a crisp, calm fall afternoon, just zoning out and relaxing… thinking about everything at first and then after a while you realize you’ve been thinking of literally nothing for the past half hour.

Just sitting, not even having to look around because you can hear everything. Then having that peace suddenly get broken by the unmistakable sound of a deer coming through the woods, reaching for the bow and slowly standing in one motion without even thinking about either action because you already know damn well what is about to go down. That is the pinnacle for me, can’t beat it!

I hope you like it so much you come every year. I love western hunting, but although completely different the tree stand cat and mouse game is a blast as well. Choosing the wrong tree, even being off by 10 yards, can make all the difference.

Sitting in a tree stand on a crisp, calm fall afternoon, just zoning out and relaxing… thinking about everything at first and then after a while you realize you’ve been thinking of literally nothing for the past half hour.

Just sitting, not even having to look around because you can hear everything. Then having that peace suddenly get broken by the unmistakable sound of a deer coming through the woods, reaching for the bow and slowly standing in one motion without even thinking about either action because you already know damn well what is about to go down. That is the pinnacle for me, can’t beat it!
You nailed it !

Your in a pretty good area with some genetics/soil in that area. Enjoy. I echo what schmalts said. Halloween kicks it off. If I had to pick one week it would be Halloween and the week that follows. I don't live in Wisconsin but I'm just south of the Cheddar curtain. Be sure to experience a supper club if you've never done that ( I don't think that's a thing outside of the midwest).

edit- Also to echo what @Gellar said early or late season can be more productive and bucks are more patternable, but if your only going to be out for a week or whatever to hunt. I'd go the first week of November or the gun season. Also depending on how big the parcel is your hunting makes a difference imo.

Last edited:
Also stand hunting can be a lot of fun.. but it will be interesting to see your opinion on how you like it compared to hunting out west spot and stalk. Always the other way around. It's an entirely different deal altogether. Secondly If you run into any other local hunters or any locals for that matter don't mention that you drink or only drink seltzers, you are welcome.

Last edited:
Also stand hunting can be a lot of fun.. but it will be interesting to see your opinion on how you like it compared to hunting out west spot and stalk. Always the other way around. It's an entirely different deal altogether.

I’m genuinely excited to try it. Feels to me the slow down and just enjoy where you are and learn new games of patience element of all of it is something I’ll really enjoy.

I feel like the stress element can be massively lower too

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back