Yeti GOBOX Collection

Going to Wisconsin

^^^I feel the same way about the butt out. Speaking if which you may want one of those to blend in @TOGIE.

i've already wondered what kind of conversations are going to occur if i start doing things my way when the guys come out in the sxs to help me gut a successful kill

the first awkward thing will be when i mention i haven't gutted an animal in like 4 years.

am i reading this right? because i'm a "new buyer" i only have to spend 80 bucks on an archery deer tag? half off? or is that just an archery permit and i have to buy a deer tag?

but the gun license is only 80 bucks?

160 is cheap anyway, which is what i thought it was?

View attachment 269393

I think you missed the part " if you're coming from a western state there's a 3 point minimum and a $500 surcharge" 😉
No additional license required for you, that’s all you need. It’s part of a program to encourage new hunters (or new to WI).

First Time Buyers

South west DANE COUNTY is a whitetail bow hunters paradise the last few days of Oct and the first couple weeks of Nov.
If they have great habitat there will be big bucks. That area is almost as good as Iowa.
Try to get some cameras out if you can. I've logged and hunted that part of the county quite a bit.
The key as always is access to good property.
Early and middle October can be good , but you will need a good food source like alfalfa ,soybeans or fresh combined corn along with unpressured deer to see much daylight movement.
Don't be afraid to do some mid day scouting and move stands accordingly. The first time or two in a stand is always the best.
Good luck

do any of you midwest whitetail hunters ever get the itch to just climb down late morning and do some still hunting?

i feel like the temptation for me is gonna be awful bad. my gut tells me it's a no no tho

do any of you midwest whitetail hunters ever get the itch to just climb down late morning and do some still hunting?

i feel like the temptation for me is gonna be awful bad. my gut tells me it's a no no tho

Yes I get that urge every sit. Don’t get down.

Late morning is the best time to be in the stand that time of year- like 10-11am is money.

If you must, do that in the early afternoon.

Yeah, just sit it out and relax. Midwest deer are spooky as hell. Any noise and bye-bye! There should be lots of leaves down and it will be noisy. Late morning other hunters might be getting down and going home for lunch or whatever and could push some deer around.

I hunt mainly public, Kettle moraine, like still hunting over stand, get bored too easy.
Thats gun though.

My friend has a farm in WI and comes out for elk. Brings me cheese ,fish, venison, garden veggies.
Tempted to go up and deer hunt some time or fish.
But there is no way I could sit in a stand.

I've gotten up from sitting a spring for an hour elk hunting and gotten up to look around and walked into elk and blew it.
Been doing that my whole life. LOL But I fill tags.

My friend has a farm in WI and comes out for elk. Brings me cheese ,fish, venison, garden veggies.
Tempted to go up and deer hunt some time or fish.
But there is no way I could sit in a stand.

I've gotten up from sitting a spring for an hour elk hunting and gotten up to look around and walked into elk and blew it.
Been doing that my whole life. LOL But I fill tags.
Me too. I call it "bumble" hunting, as I just hike around hoping to 'bumble" into some elk.

Yeah, just sit it out and relax. Midwest deer are spooky as hell. Any noise and bye-bye! There should be lots of leaves down and it will be noisy. Late morning other hunters might be getting down and going home for lunch or whatever and could push some deer around.
Yeah sounds like Blacktail hunting in the oak leaves and PO thickets.

For the most part, still hunting is a very effective way to push the deer over to your neighbors. But during the rut anything can happen.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back