Yeti GOBOX Collection

Going to Wisconsin

You can quarter them here now, but you need to remove the whole skeleton.

I am generally pretty supportive of our WDNR here, but that is a dumb rule.
On private land in Wisconsin, you don't have to even take any portion of, or remove anything from a deer once you tag it is my understanding.

On private land in Wisconsin, you don't have to even take any portion of, or remove anything from a deer once you tag it is my understanding.

interesting, just started digging into it and wisoncsin indeed appears to have no wanton waste law, per a 2022 document i found.

i think you have to remove it from the field? it seems that once you remove it from the field you are not obligated to utilize the animal.

strangeness.

irrelevant to me anyway. i'm already working up plans to fly home with every usable scrap.

I bet you’re right about that Buzz, good correction.

I only hunt public here at home so have to take it all out but I don’t think they could pass that to include private, TOGIE let’r rip!;)

update, thanks to wisconsin allowing crossbows during archery, i was advised to just buy the crossbow tag and if i get fed up failing with my bow i can borrow a crossbow to up my odds.

Treeshark, do i understand correctly that buying a deer tag generally allows the harvest of like, one buck and a doe or two depending on where you are?

interesting, just started digging into it and wisoncsin indeed appears to have no wanton waste law, per a 2022 document i found.

i think you have to remove it from the field? it seems that once you remove it from the field you are not obligated to utilize the animal.

strangeness.

irrelevant to me anyway. i'm already working up plans to fly home with every usable scrap.
Don't think you even have to remove them from the field unless on public. One of my best friends lives in WI and he inquired about wanton waste as he usually drives his car to the private land he hunts and wanted to quarter his deer. He couldn't find anything either in the regs and contacted the DNR, whatever it is in Wisconsin, and they told him as long as its tagged, he didn't have to remove or retain any portion of a deer if on private land.

Okay cheeseheads, I could use some wisconsin insight.

I'm going to Wisconsin this fall for deer. My issue is it's basically entirely up to me when I go and I'm not entirely certain how to plan it out. I have in laws land to hunt on.

Should I go out for archery rut? Should I go out for gun? Should I go out and straddle the archery/gun dates and do a couple days of both? Primary reason to straddle the dates is I can keep thanksgiving week a little more intact to be back at home with the rest of my family, and i think i'm looking to go out for 4th season mule deer at home.

Obviously, i'm asking my in laws these questions and they have good answers. But i'm looking for some good keyboard warrior input as well.

Really the only primary thing to consider is that I will have a wyoming general elk tag. That blacks out the entire second half of october and all of september (calculus changes dramatically should I fill the elk tag with my bow).

rut is like end of october right?

would it even be worth trying a couple days of archery before the gun season starts? Or just go out with my gun for 4 days? Thing to consider there... it's a whole family show for gun season, so it's busier. Part of me like's the idea of testing my willpower and patience for long rut sits in the stand while i'm not competing with the rest of the family for good spots.
Where are you in-laws at? Mine are in the Waukesha area. Headed there for turkeys in May. Been wanting to hunt deer there for a bit, but fall is too packed

update, thanks to wisconsin allowing crossbows during archery, i was advised to just buy the crossbow tag and if i get fed up failing with my bow i can borrow a crossbow to up my odds.

Treeshark, do i understand correctly that buying a deer tag generally allows the harvest of like, one buck and a doe or two depending on where you are?

Buying an archery or gun tag is essentially buying a buck tag. Depending on where you are hunting, you then have the option of antlerless tag(s)- when you go through the GoWild website to buy your tags, or in person, it’s pretty straightforward.

I’m excited for you- it would be cool to see a hunt recap or live hunt from your perspective. Have you ever hunted this style of hunting before?

Where are you in-laws at? Mine are in the Waukesha area. Headed there for turkeys in May. Been wanting to hunt deer there for a bit, but fall is too packed

southwest dane county generally.

luckily for my extended in laws gun season is the big show and when it gets packed. a small part of the reason i'm choosing archery. i honestly think almost none of them archery hunt.

i think they have at least two properties to hunt, the one they live on and another that no one lives on but was a part of the old family farm.

I’m excited for you- it would be cool to see a hunt recap or live hunt from your perspective. Have you ever hunted this style of hunting before?

i'll def do a recap. and no, haven't done anything like this. it's gonna be the closest to a guided hunt i'll have ever had too, they'll be sending me trail cam photos over the summer, they'll already have multiple stands and ground blinds set up. i'll just show up and they'll tell me where to go.

truly very excited though. i've longed to give this a try for a few years now. i've built it up in my mind as this tranquil, peace and quiet in the woods experience; listening to and watching birds and squirrels, enjoying your thoughts, while simultaneously trying to not go crazy. and when all of the sudden you get some action it's a heck of a sudden rush of adrenaline and excitement.

still sighting in the first bow i've ever owned and shot. probably gonna miss every deer i see.

Don't think you even have to remove them from the field unless on public. One of my best friends lives in WI and he inquired about wanton waste as he usually drives his car to the private land he hunts and wanted to quarter his deer. He couldn't find anything either in the regs and contacted the DNR, whatever it is in Wisconsin, and they told him as long as its tagged, he didn't have to remove or retain any portion of a deer if on private land.
This is due to the fact that in Wisconsin, you used to have to register all deer harvested in person at a registration station. Deer had to show up entirely whole minus the internal organs. So if you shot a deer 3 miles back in the Chequamegon NF, that meant you needed to drag that baby out whole. Good times as a youth I remember! This essentially is a wanton waste law although after registering the deer, you could just toss it into the dumpster.

They then passed a law that allowed you to quarter your deer into no more than 5 parts to take it to the registration station and I believe that law still is in place today. However, registration stations I don't think exist at all anymore and the requirement is to just call in or use the mobile app/website to report your deer harvest. So even on public land I don't think you are actually required to remove the deer if you mobile register it right there on the spot but if you do want to bring it out, it must be in no more than 5 parts. The regulations do just state "All parts of the deer, except the entrails, must be removed from the field" and by that literal definition you actually do need to remove the deer regardless of public/private.

I don't really see this being a big pressing issue and therefore I doubt the legislature would bother putting time into clarifying or creating a wanton waste law.

1680105097860.png

With the CWD eradication zones, not sure of non residents but you should get Doe tag or tags with your license.
Additional tags, $12.00

still sighting in the first bow i've ever owned and shot. probably gonna miss every deer i see.
Letting one fly straight is the easy part. Drawing the string without getting busted or holding until the right shot angle comes is the hard part. That is really the only Big reason crossbows are so much more effective. Try not to draw anytime the deer is standing still unless there is enough noise to cover your movement sound. If a buck is criusin through on a steady pace just draw back and use a mouth grunt to stop him. You seen it many times in videos because it works like a charm. If a doe is giving you stink eye and being a bitch squint your eyes so you don't blink. They look at your face and know what eyes are. When you see the tail flick that means you are ok and she is giving you a pass. Old does are a pain in the ass and smart as hell and when they start stomping and blow weezing you are screwed for a while. I have killed does for being such a pain in the ass. These little things mean a lot to getting that shot off. It takes a lot of people a few years to figure it out and it is not as easy as it looks on TV. It will be sheer boredom sitting there but when you see your first buck I know you will be hearing your own heart pounding because it is usually a close and surprise arrival

With the CWD eradication zones, not sure of non residents but you should get Doe tag or tags with your license.
Additional tags, $12.00
Crossbow is just an authorization to use that weapon more or less. But the harvest tags are the same. Most of all the southern half of the state used to come with a free doe tag, not sure if that has changed or not.

Letting one fly straight is the easy part. Drawing the string without getting busted or holding until the right shot angle comes is the hard part. That is really the only Big reason crossbows are so much more effective. Try not to draw anytime the deer is standing still unless there is enough noise to cover your movement sound. If a buck is criusin through on a steady pace just draw back and use a mouth grunt to stop him. You seen it many times in videos because it works like a charm. If a doe is giving you stink eye and being a bitch squint your eyes so you don't blink. They look at your face and know what eyes are. When you see the tail flick that means you are ok and she is giving you a pass. Old does are a pain in the ass and smart as hell and when they start stomping and blow weezing you are screwed for a while. I have killed does for being such a pain in the ass. These little things mean a lot to getting that shot off. It takes a lot of people a few years to figure it out and it is not as easy as it looks on TV. It will be sheer boredom sitting there but when you see your first buck I know you will be hearing your own heart pounding because it is usually a close and surprise arrival

careful now, you’re gettin me all hot and bothered

just bought four deer tags for 84 dollars

🤯
NICE! I have a huge surplus of does that could use an arrow/bullet if you're interested lol There were 19 of them out feeding in the wheat last night which for this time of year is unheard of as they normally aren't that herded up.

NICE! I have a huge surplus of does that could use an arrow/bullet if you're interested lol There were 19 of them out feeding in the wheat last night which for this time of year is unheard of as they normally aren't that herded up.

do they put you in jail and give you 40 lashes for shooting one outside of the specified county? why do they make you do that up front?

Counties are like gmu for us midwesters.

well that i get. seems pretty low key though. letting us choose our county to hose a few does makes it seem like they don't actually care where we go and hose a few does so why make us specify and instead let us just report where said doe hosing occurred?

well that i get. seems pretty low key though. letting us choose our county to hose a few does makes it seem like they don't actually care where we go and hose a few does so why make us specify and instead let us just report where said doe hosing occurred?
Might be only a certain number available per county. That's how illinois amd several other states do firearms seasons. Same as a gmu. Not 100% on Wisconsin archery. Been a few years.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back