Going to an actual rodeo. How does it work?

He died in the arena at CFD here in Cheyenne July 30, 1989. First CFD rodeo I went to after meeting my wife when we started dating about 5 years before I moved to Cheyenne to get married. Was not a pretty site and the stands were dead silent while he was tended to. Didn't know him much, but I do remember when he got hurt and died during the event. The bull he was riding gored him and he died from his injuries. Paramedics were right there too and could not do anything.
The Bull smashed Lane into the dirt with his head and a broken rib punctured his lung. One of his best friends Cody Lambert invented the protective vest that bull riders wear nowadays because of that incident.

Dating myself, but Donnie Gay was a hero of mine. We used to buck out feeder steers at my friend's house pretending we were bull riders. Wore off a lot of hanging weight on them I bet. mtmuley

Donnie was the real deal👍🏻 Growing up we rode anything we could get upright on, used to really piss my old man off lol. Think every kid around us had a bandaid on his chin or bit through his lip at least once a month.

He's not retired! He rode this weekend.
Yer right here. For some reason I misread the article I looked at. Cut and paste from Wiki which is not always accurate either: In July 2021, Mauney announced that he would step away from riding in the PBR to focus solely on riding in the PRCA and qualifying for his first-ever National Finals Rodeo (NFR). He qualified for and competed at his first NFR in December of that year.

The Bull smashed Lane into the dirt with his head and a broken rib punctured his lung. One of his best friends Cody Lambert invented the protective vest that bull riders wear nowadays because of that incident.
It definitely was not pretty. I still remember rodeos in the 70s and 80s when they never wore protective gear and threw their hat into the air on a successful ride. It is definitely a definitely dangerous sport for sure. I tried getting into amatuer rodeo at Camp Pendleton in California and ended up busting my ribs and collarbone in summer of 80. Never did try again. I was on active duty but laid up for a spell.

We used to hit the Grand National at the Cow Palace when we could. Best rodeo in my opinion. The Livermore Rodeo is good also. Living in Cowboy country and having "real" cowboys working the different ranches daily, it's kinda cool to see some of them show off their skills against the circuit cowboys.
True story,,,,,a bunch of years ago we were sitting at the local (only) bar and grill. One of the retired Oakland Raiders players that has a place up here comes in with his wanna be gang of hangers on. He starts in about bragging about this game or that. One of the old timers walks up to him and says " There's 5 world champion Cowboys sitting at the bar right now. Nobody gives a shit about your little ball". He got up and left. I can't remember his name, Greg somebody. I can tell you the name of the cowboys that were there!!

Grew up in the bay area. Seen most everything at the Cow Palace including rodeo. NHL's California Golden Seals played there for 1 season. GS Warriors, Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Yes.

When parking at a rodeo - back in - need to be ready for a quick getaway.

Grew up in the bay area. Seen most everything at the Cow Palace including rodeo. NHL's California Golden Seals played there for 1 season. GS Warriors, Emerson, Lake and Palmer. Yes.

When parking at a rodeo - back in - need to be ready for a quick getaway.
Did you ever go to the truck pulls at the Cow Palace or the Oak Coliseum?

We used to hit the Grand National at the Cow Palace when we could. Best rodeo in my opinion. The Livermore Rodeo is good also. Living in Cowboy country and having "real" cowboys working the different ranches daily, it's kinda cool to see some of them show off their skills against the circuit cowboys.
True story,,,,,a bunch of years ago we were sitting at the local (only) bar and grill. One of the retired Oakland Raiders players that has a place up here comes in with his wanna be gang of hangers on. He starts in about bragging about this game or that. One of the old timers walks up to him and says " There's 5 world champion Cowboys sitting at the bar right now. Nobody gives a shit about your little ball". He got up and left. I can't remember his name, Greg somebody. I can tell you the name of the cowboys that were there!!

I always enjoy a good rodeo, large or small, but I also have my favorites. Cheyenne Frontier days, Houston livestock show and rodeo, and our Canadian members also put on a good rodeo, The Calgary Stampede. I even miss our family living in our horse trailer, with living quarters . Parents got the bed, we slept on the table and for some reason I even miss the "cowboy shower" ;) If it was a livestock show and rodeo we took a stock trailer and horse trailer. After the stock was unloaded at the fair/rodeo, we cleaned out the stock trailer and the kids slept in it. When in collage, I invited friends occasionally and some accepted my invitation--once,------ but were always busy when I ask after their first trip;)

Those who post on the music thread each friday, would enjoy the closing evening of the Houston Livestock and Rodeo. Some big names have performed there, as well as some darn good unknowns

was asked if barrel racing was the only thing I was able to compete in and the answer is no. One of the reasons I always enjoyed, even when in grade school, the Houston livestock show and rodeo was the "show" part. I was able to participate in,

Cutting ( a good cutting horse will surprise the crowd with their agility and cat like moves )
Quarter ( roping, barrel, pole bending )
Ranch ( horse, rider, elements )
Sorting
Paints
Mule/Donkey
Youth

I miss it but unfortunately my father insists on me having a job and making my own way after graduating from college ;)

That’s a good one! We also usually drop down to see the NorCal relatives and go to the Red Bluff bull and gelding sale… sane but a hoot as well and the stock dog competition is usually AMAZING!
Some good rodeos in that valley. The last bull I covered was at the Lassen County Fair. 42 years ago.

Back