Going To Alaska This,,,

Hunterman

,,,,Summer for some fishing. Halabut, ling cod and such,, not really going for salmon ( I can get them down here)

I'll post more in the Alaska section later..

Hunterman(Tony)

Be careful on your dates for halibut. The Pacific Halibut Board(or some such agency...I can't remember exactly) has just DECREASED the bag limit from 2/day to 1/day during certain dates this summer. Check it out before you book or you may be out some fish. At the price for charters these days, I can't see myself doing much halibut fishing during those dates. Just something to keep in mind. Also, charters for dates when the bag limit is 2 will probably fill up very quick.

EDIT....I just found a link to an article. Here you go:http://www.adn.com/front/story/8574459p-8467573c.html

And here is the article:

Panel seeks to reduce halibut charter catch

By ELIZABETH BLUEMINK
Anchorage Daily News

Published: January 19, 2007
Last Modified: January 19, 2007 at 06:46 PM

In a historic vote, an international panel decided today to reduce the Southeast and Southcentral Alaska charter-boat halibut bag limit to one fish per day per angler in part of the summer.

The vote will not take effect unless approved by the U.S. secretary of commerce.

The current charter bag limit is two halibut, and sportfishing groups say they don't think Alaskans or tourists will buy $200-plus charter-boat trips if they can catch only one fish.

It's the first time in history that the six-member International Pacific Halibut Commission has flexed its authority to reduce bag limits for halibut in Alaska, said Bruce Leaman, the commission's executive director.

The commission took the controversial step because, so far, U.S. authorities have been unable to keep the charter fleet from exceeding its harvest limits, he said. Commercial fishermen urged the bag-limit cut, saying the growing charter catch is cutting into their harvest.

The joint U.S.-Canadian commission, based in Seattle and established in 1923, voted in Victoria, British Columbia, to reduce the charter bag limit in Southcentral Alaska to one fish from June 15 to June 30 and in Southeast from June 15 to the end of July.

The North Pacific Fishery Management Council could forestall the one-fish bag limit if it finds its own method to keep the charter halibut industry from exceeding its harvest limits, Leaman said.

However, the council would need to find a solution by June 15, and the council had already stated that it probably wouldn't be able to resolve the issue in time for this year's halibut season.

The council told the international panel in December that it plans to take steps to keep the halibut-charter fleet within its harvest limits in time for the 2008 charter season.

The real shitty part is that the commission also approved a 1 million pound INCREASE in the commercial harvest...what a bunch of crap...once again, sportsmen take it in the shorts.

Should be fun !! I've been to Alaska 3 times now but have never made it fishing. Theres just too much hunting to do. Some day though !!!!Take lotsa pics bro !

Thanks for the info Guppie9...I'm thinkibg of going sometime in August or Sept. but most likely Augusthump

This will be my 3rd time up there..The last time I brought back about 150 to 200 pounds of fish:D

Hunterman(Tony)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dotun77
Back