Yeti GOBOX Collection

Going Caribou hunting...

Daniel in Ak

Well I cant wait no more after what Erik told me,so tomorrow after work Im headed out to hopefully put some meat in the freezer.
Oh! and Erik I will have my predator calls with me :) And with that I'll get a report Sunday nite or Monday and maybe some pictures.Daniel

Made it back.....
The weather was awesome up there and we saw pleanty of Caribou.Hundreds of them everywhere.Thanks for the heads up Erik.
Well my buddy and I tried stalk after stalk after stalk,and them bou knew what we sounded like walking on snow compared to another bou,Im sure of this.I blew probably 15 stalks and three of my lay and wait ambushes got screwed up one way or another,
I launched one arrow at a fat bull who still had his antlers at 58 yards but I think what little wind was blowing and at that distance drove my arrow off course a little.
And now no-one wants to go next weekend,so Erik dont bother looking for me then.BUt I do plan on going back up before the end of the month.Daniel

Sorry you're hunt didn't turn out with bou on the ground. It sounds like you had fun though, good luck next time.

Fellas,
Drag sleds and do the walk in. Go in behind the airport and your walk is reduced to 2 1/2 miles. If its just a meat hunt thats the best way IMO

Oh! man Erik I know I walked more than 2 1/2 miles that day dammit,and we had a sled.I wanted to push my bud down a hill and let him shoot a bou that way ;) but he didnt want anything with walking all the way back up it hahahaha!.
Well Guppie I just found out Im off Fri so I have three days and can you believe it I cant find anyone wanting to go hunting :BLEEP:
So what do I do? Go alone? Take the wife? or go shed hunting? We did find some bou on this side of the range and thats five per day so maybe this weekend or next we wont have to drive as far and we cam harvest more.
And Guppie you dont need a boweven tho I have two I just need a cameraman and a camcorder to film me :D
Until; next time I'll leave ya'll with this picture of the twelve we spotted waliking up the middle of the river that we tried to ambush.
P40802112.jpg

What are the temperatures like up there this time of year. It looks really clear, which can mean only one thing...c c c o o l d. Did you tent it? Sounds pretty brutal to me. Nice picture!

Daniel if you stay on the south side then concentrate on the Chandalar Shelf area, especially the east side.

Jose,
Many of our rivers are braided systems. In winter the water flow reduces to a single channel. Even the smaller rivers can have beds a hundred yards or more apart.

The river in the pic looks like the Dietrich or North Fork Koyukuk which run close to the Dalton highway

Daniel in AK
"I have three days and can you believe it I cant find anyone wanting to go hunting"

You can't find anyone to hunt with......... I can't wait to move there. I can't freakin wait.

AKB

Daniel in Ak said:
Well Guppie I just found out Im off Fri so I have three days and can you believe it I cant find anyone wanting to go hunting

I wish it was an issue of want....I definately WANT to go, but I gotta work Friday and Saturday, and I don't have any personal leave left. I would love to go with you sometime, though. Be aware that I am a fat-ass, but I can hold my own on level/semi-level terrain. You just won't catch me sheep hunting until I drop a lot of weight.

Thanks alot fellas...
Waterboy,the temps called for low of 22 below and a high of 10 below,great weather for hunting and I was sweating my ass off with a tee shirt,hooded sweatshirt and my coat,so later I dropped the thinck coat and put on a rain coat inside out to blend in and I kept pretty warm (comfortable) I also had on thermal bottoms and wranglers thats it.SO I dont think the temps where right,altho the temps where for Prudhoe Bay,and I was 150 miles south I think.Slight breeze and the snow was ankle deep for the most.
Now where the 12 caribou where in the picture I was in nut's deep snow.We also slept in the cab on the way back and took cat naps while up there.

IDHunters.....the river was frozen but we walked on one further north while trying to follow a wolf and my partner fell thru an air pocket and that was about 24-36 inches of airspace before water,other than that it was pretty safe. Oh! and that big ol' wolf got away from me.

AkBound you coming to Fairbanks or where?

Hey Guppie.....dont worry about being fat my lungs are tore up from the gulf war so I dont walk fast anywhere no how.And all I do is keep inhaling on that dang medicine that dont work :)
Anyhow thanks agian fellas,and I think Im headed back up again Thursday after work,I'll let ya'll know.Daniel

Daniel, find a way for me to get there cheap! and I will run your camcorder, pack and even scare a few your direction. Yes I am jelouse of you. Nice picture and thanks for sharing. Would it be selfish of me to ask for more ?

Daniel,
Should be livin in A-town by Nov. or Dec..... Comin from ID. and am dang happy to be on my way. I will have a flexible work schedule and don't mind traveling. My job I drive 1200-1500 miles per week so it doesn't bother me.
Be there Soon. Comin for a Mulchatna caribou hunt in Aug. so maybe will drive up from here and drop off a load of stuff in Anchorage on the way. We will see. Keep us posted on your hunt. Later. Good Luck.

dont know about cheap Cameron but come on up and film me hahaha! NO blooper reels either.
And hey AKBound let us know how the Mulchatna hunt goes,Ive been wanting to do that for three years,but work seems to destroy my chances on that.
Well this weekend my hunt went to shit as everyone dropped out and hour or so before it was time to leave so that pissed me off,but the good thing the wife and I got to spend our first weekend together this year. :)
Will try again next weekend for bou or bear we'll see what happens.Daniel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back