GoHunt Filters

TM0218

Afternoon everyone! I just started using GoHunt while starting to narrow down units for a possible CO rifle elk hunt next year. I was curious what everyone looks for as far as M:F ratios, harvest success percentage, and public land percentages. I’m sure this will have a ton of different opinions but that’s what I’m looking for! Thanks a lot everyone 👍🏼

for a rifle hunt for me, i'm not really to worried about the bull:cow ratio. Thats a bigger worry for me during archery though. harvest success and public access are my biggest worries. when trying to decide on where to apply or where to venture OTC. i start my filter of public above 50% and start knocking away from there. Its not as a big of deal as somewhere such as WY, but be sure to really checkout how much "public" youll actually have access too before deciding to move foward with a unit.

Keep in mind that elk migrate due to pressure and/or weather in some units. Even units with lots of public can be difficult hunts during some seasons as the elk have left or not yet arrived. I look at the amount, distribution, and access to public lands. If a CO OTC unit has a high M:F ratio, it probably has access issues or extremely difficult access. Harvest success % doesn’t differentiate between public or private land harvests, so can also be misleading.

That makes sense. As of now I’m just trying to narrow down unit so I’ve been looking at >50% public land, >20:100 M:F ratios, and >20% harvest. It seems to be a tough decision because there’s so many units and different terrains (being from FL that makes a difference to me), but from what I’ve read most western CO units have the elk there if you’re willing to work for them. Does that sound mildly true?

The Information Age has everyone wanting instant info, instant gratification immediately. Go hunt is probably doing really well because it’s the perfect time for a business like that. But finding game is still the same - investment of years.

Best thing you can do is drop cash on some tags and just go. It’s going to take you years to figure out the unit you pick anyway. When you have it figured out, you will wonder why the harvest percentage isn’t higher than advertised. Both resident and non resident guys kill it year in and year out in all types of units, low public land, low kill percentage, whatever. Reason they get it done is because they stick with the unit. An online service isn’t going to speed up the process. Might actually screw a guy up when he doesn’t get it done in unit X in season one so he tries unit Y the next year because there is more public land etc.

Pick an area that you can get a tag for; a unit with the kind of country you enjoy hunting and simply go.

Totally agree. I like to think I’m a little bit of both. I don’t mind striking out, but I also would like to make sure the unit I’m learning is worthwhile. I don’t care about trophies. It’s the experience. I appreciate the responses everyone 👍🏼

That makes sense. As of now I’m just trying to narrow down unit so I’ve been looking at >50% public land, >20:100 M:F ratios, and >20% harvest. It seems to be a tough decision because there’s so many units and different terrains (being from FL that makes a difference to me), but from what I’ve read most western CO units have the elk there if you’re willing to work for them. Does that sound mildly true?

The access to data like that is interesting but as others have said not particularly helpful in determining what it's going to be like to hunt that unit. In order to determine that you have to do the deep dive on a specific area. The public land ratio doesn't mean anything if you can't access the public land, or if the elk are never on it, etc. etc.

The harvest rates aren't particularly accurate. I killed a elk in 2018 in a unit that CPAW said in 2018 had a 0% success rate.

Take @HalfAce advice, get a tag and go, you will learn a ton and will figure out for yourself what factors will drive your success, as those factors aren't the same for everyone.

Find a tag in the outlined area and go hunt.

Thank you! What is it that made you come up with that outlined area? The reason I ask is because I was recently looking at 37 and 371 which are just outside your boundary lol

Thank you! What is it that made you come up with that outlined area? The reason I ask is because I was recently looking at 37 and 371 which are just outside your boundary lol
Essentially that is the area far enough away from the major cities that they have less pressure, the cut out are places that are mostly private and or/the Rez. Some of those are OTC, some are 20pt units and everything in between.

37 and 371 are not good first timer units, limited access, lots of people at those access areas, tons of non-consumptive users (on those public lands you have 3 ski areas, 3 of the busiest 14 ers, and an extensive and heavily used mt. biking trail system), mostly dark timber which is hard to glass, and the eagle's nest wilderness only has a few access points so everyone starts off at the same point.

Okay I understand. What’s everyones opinion on high mountain country vs the lower elevation pinyon-juniper areas more westward?

Totally agree with @wllm1313.

Basically divide the state into two parts, East and West. East is primarily private. West is the mountain country. Throw a dart at that west portion; Hunt there just as long as it isn’t limited entry.

If it were me, ide stay away from anything close to Denver. I don’t like to hunt country that is mostly pine/evergreen but that’s just personal preference. I also stay away cedar type county if the option of hunting pine/aspen/sage country exists, again just personal preference.

Totally agree with @wllm1313.

Basically divide the state into two parts, East and West. East is primarily private. West is the mountain country. Throw a dart at that west portion; Hunt there just as long as it isn’t limited entry.

If it were me, ide stay away from anything close to Denver. I don’t like to hunt country that is mostly pine/evergreen but that’s just personal preference. I also stay away cedar type county if the option of hunting pine/aspen/sage country exists, again just personal preference.

Exactly, although I like hunting the Piñon-Juniper country. (Technically there are no cedar in Colorado, Juniper are a totally different family of trees, cypress)

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomcat1984
Back