Caribou Gear

GOBBLE GOBBLE!!!

trophy_killer

Tomorrow is opening morning of turkey season. We have permission to hunt this guys property so yesterday we went to check it out and on the way in we saw 5 turkeys. Wish me luck all, I hope I get a bird with a 6" beard, but I will most likely shoot the first legal one I see since I haven't killed very many turkeys.

Best of luck TK and you had better get a picture of it also.
wink.gif

Don't get too excited and Shoot a hen !!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

GOOD luck to yah !! Wish I was Doing your cluckin' !!! I'll have sweet dreams for your success, Tonight, I shed it all in my sleep and send my luck to you, Not that I'm not getting lucky tonight ..
wink.gif

Seriously though , HAVE FUN !!!!

Well as I said I slept in this morning, so I did not see ANY turkey's
biggrin.gif

How about you TK...oops it isn't daylight there yet
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

MEATHEAD called about 8:15 this morning and said he got one. I still can't imagine how, being as it was/is raining here and he probably didn't get out of the truck
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

No I am a wet rat right now , the rain did sloww down for a little bit . But if you go to the other post you will see that me and the turkey are real wet . Just look at my hair. OOPS AIN"T GOT ANY

Well we got set up around 6:15 this morning. I set down just to see if I could get a responce so I just clucked a few times on my diaphram. I instantly heard the gobble of what sounded like a good bird but he was quite a ways away. I tried bringing him in for about 30 minutes until he no longer would respond and he was well out of view. So I decided to sneak around to see if I could get ahead of his position and try to call him in that way. Well the plan worked almost perfectly. I got to where I wanted to be, and before I could sit down I could hear turkeys walking around and one was gobbling his head off. I tried to call him in but he still wouldn't come. Finally after about 20 minutes I could see a grey head going away from me at about 40 yards. I kept watching and all of a sudden this big ol' tom walked up on this dead tree and I could see a big beard. I slowly slipped my call back into my mouth and let out a soft call to him. He got all fluffed up and gobbled back. Looking at his red head in the early morning sunlight was awesome. Then all of a sudden, I realized I had killed doves and quail at that distance before so I slowly raised my gun. I slowly rested the bead right where his head met his neck and squeezed off a shot. Then all hell broke loose, turkeys running off, flying off, and everything in all directions. I wasn't sure if I had hit the tom though in all of the excitement so I got over to where he was and I realized that it was a lot farther than I had originally thought. So I spent about an hour looking for any signs of a hit or dead turkey but I couldn't find any. Finally my dad came over to help me look but after an hour of him helping too we couldn't find any sign or anything so we just gave up. I later paced off the distance and it was really far, 64 strides to be exact. Oh well, that's hunting. I had a great time though, just getting to do some hunting got me excited.

Nope, I can't make it out tomorrow. It's about a 45 minute drive from here and plus I need to get my yard/house chores done tomorrow. I don't know when I will be going out again, but hopefully it will be soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back