MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

GMU 66 Colorado, 1st Rifle Drop Camp

ndhunterman

Flyin solo this fall for elk hunting as none of my buddies drew or could commit to going. So, I booked a drop camp. Been debating if it would be more fun having company for the week. 3 hr ride in, good average success. Text or pm me if your interested in partnering up.

Im 37, been elk hunting 8 times. Shot a few, would expect you to carry fair share of camp duties.

I am also hunting 66 first rifle this year. Lucked out and had a cousin able to go with me. Considered a drop camp, how much did it end up costing you and how far in are they taking you?

As for your 3 hour horse ride to the location of your drop camp, do you specifically know where the camp location is? I'm not trying to throw a bucket of ice water on your hunt, and yet I know that just because you're traveling 3 hrs. via horse, doesn't always necessarily mean you're 3 hrs. from other hunters. You well could be, but I know of drop camps that have lots of company from DIA hunters that have accessed the same hunting area via a different route. For example, last weekend, I talked to hunters legally accessing an area on a USFS trail that was open for motorcycles. I awoke to the sound of them going by my tent. Later in the day, they said the'd run into the Outfitter's clients that were in a guided camp. I doubt the clients were thrilled.
Then, another thing about drop camps can be the situation that by the time you arrive, that area has had hunter traffic in it for several weeks. Sure, Elk could move in at any time, but then if they've encountered hunters in so doing, they may avoid some areas too? Good Luck

Back