PEAX Equipment

GMU 53 in colorado archery

Idra Blood

Hello fellow hunters,

Looking to hunt gmu 53 for archery this year in colorado. If anyone has hunted this unit for archery or even rifle and has some tips about navigating the unit I would appreciate a discussion or even a DM. Good luck to you all, Im getting pumped for September!

I see your trying to tell me there are going to be lots of people there. Im doing OTC this year so its something ill have to deal with until I wanna burn some points. But I know a secret spot no-one goes of even knows about! ;). Not really

I see your trying to tell me there are going to be lots of people there. Im doing OTC this year so its something ill have to deal with until I wanna burn some points. But I know a secret spot no-one goes of even knows about! ;). Not really
Busiest unit I've hunted in CO every time I or a buddy has hunted it we pulled out a bull so YMMV.
Get there early to save your parking spot at the trail head... mostly kidding... maybe

Gunna burn boot leather don't you worry ahah. see you at the trailhead! Hey that's awesome your rate of success despite the busyness, well done sir.

The amount of hunters is pretty insane, not gonna lie. This was the unit I chose to learn how to elk hunt in. I’ve hunted it for a few years now and I’m considering abandoning ship and learning a different unit. Last year was just downright crazy at the trailheads. I’m like you, not afraid to burn boot leather. I hiked my arse 6 miles from the trailhead last year just to find a group of other determined hunters.
Having talked all this crap, the unit has some dang gorgeous country to hunt in and I’ll more than likely be back this year hahah. I’d love to take some llamas back in there some day. 🤷🏼‍♂️

The amount of hunters is pretty insane, not gonna lie. This was the unit I chose to learn how to elk hunt in. I’ve hunted it for a few years now and I’m considering abandoning ship and learning a different unit. Last year was just downright crazy at the trailheads. I’m like you, not afraid to burn boot leather. I hiked my arse 6 miles from the trailhead last year just to find a group of other determined hunters.
Having talked all this crap, the unit has some dang gorgeous country to hunt in and I’ll more than likely be back this year hahah. I’d love to take some llamas back in there some day. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Haha Love that message except for the insane amount of people. Where do you feel like most of the people are? any specific areas that are super busy? or are we talking the entire unit? feel free to DM if you think that's more appropriate.

Also what OTC unit with any chance of success doesn't have tons of people here in colorado? just seems like the reality here

Last edited:
Haha Love that message except for the insane amount of people. Where do you feel like most of the people are? any specific areas that are super busy? or are we talking the entire unit? feel free to DM if you think that's more appropriate.

Also what OTC unit with any chance of success doesn't have tons of people here in colorado? just seems like the reality here

I’ll give you the advice that the fine folks on here have given me: Just go out and hunt.
Make the unit your own. Take the nuggets that people offer you, and then build on top of that. The experience is more enjoyable when you know you gave it your all... e scout, pre scout, burn that boot leather. I have flown out to CO from CA the last two years to learn areas prior to the hunt. All that money and effort for an OTC tag hahah. Just accept the crowds in your home state, they’re not going anywhere.

I’ll give you the advice that the fine folks on here have given me: Just go out and hunt.
Make the unit your own. Take the nuggets that people offer you, and then build on top of that. The experience is more enjoyable when you know you gave it your all... e scout, pre scout, burn that boot leather. I have flown out to CO from CA the last two years to learn areas prior to the hunt. All that money and effort for an OTC tag hahah. Just accept the crowds in your home state, they’re not going anywhere.
Oh yeah! nice work. Im doing all that stuff don't worry. Im not shrugging that advice off at all , im actually doing it already. Well done sir for your effort. Going out for some scouting in about a month. I also am well aware I am one of the many hunters and I do accept it. Yes the game gets harder but also we are all putting into the big pot to keep wild places wild! conservation! love the collective effort that is hunting

I was there last year for my first time elk hunting. Yes there are plenty of hunters but I didn’t think it was that bad. But then again I was a rookie so I may not know what to compare it to.

I was up there early September when it went from high 90’s temp to 35 degrees with rain and snow. What a mess. I now know that I’ll need to pack for all types of weather going forward.

Give it a go!
Good luck. 👍

Just remember. The easier it is to get the tag and the easier it is to do the hunt. That will have the most hunters.

You want solitude? Don't hunt an OTC unit and don't hunt where hunters want to hunt. Think like an elk. Where would you be if everybody wants to kill you? Forget looking at maps and saying "that's where the elk will be." No they won't if it's crowded. Look where they shouldn't be.

My cousin and I hunted 53 2x in early September and killed both times.....I'll echo what most say about trailheads. I'll share the spots we went and met tons of friendly hunters. Lost Lake Slough.....and should be renamed Lost Lake Zoo in September. We were back in there and bumping into weekend campers and hunters. Horse Ranch Park.....same as above on BOTH sides of the road (which is 521) mega boot/horse/bike traffic. FSR 709/12A south towards the West Elk Wilderness.....drove about 1/2 way up and turned around because it was like a Walmart parking lot......we then drove and hiked into a spot where we killed my 6-point which is where my feedback stops :cool:

My cousin killed his in '18 a mile from Horse Ranch Park. I'll share that b/c we will never go back there again it was so nuts. We got lucky after a mega downpour/rain day in 2018....pushed all the hunting pressure out, but we were persistent, mile from the truck when the rain let up 30 minutes before dark. 6 point came in on a string....like I said "lucky".

I've come to the conclusion that starting in at any sort of "parking" is a disaster and downright morale killer. I like to look for spots I want to get to, then find the closest parking spot. If it's even remotely close to a parking lot, we write it off. We will NOT write it off if its close to a road though.....we go where we think there will be elk and far from ANY parking.....which leaves the question, where are you parking? Sometimes miles from where we want to go in and the first spot we can squeeze in the truck.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.JPG
    IMG_0028.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
My cousin and I hunted 53 2x in early September and killed both times.....I'll echo what most say about trailheads. I'll share the spots we went and met tons of friendly hunters. Lost Lake Slough.....and should be renamed Lost Lake Zoo in September. We were back in there and bumping into weekend campers and hunters. Horse Ranch Park.....same as above on BOTH sides of the road (which is 521) mega boot/horse/bike traffic. FSR 709/12A south towards the West Elk Wilderness.....drove about 1/2 way up and turned around because it was like a Walmart parking lot......we then drove and hiked into a spot where we killed my 6-point which is where my feedback stops :cool:

My cousin killed his in '18 a mile from Horse Ranch Park. I'll share that b/c we will never go back there again it was so nuts. We got lucky after a mega downpour/rain day in 2018....pushed all the hunting pressure out, but we were persistent, mile from the truck when the rain let up 30 minutes before dark. 6 point came in on a string....like I said "lucky".

I've come to the conclusion that starting in at any sort of "parking" is a disaster and downright morale killer. I like to look for spots I want to get to, then find the closest parking spot. If it's even remotely close to a parking lot, we write it off. We will NOT write it off if its close to a road though.....we go where we think there will be elk and far from ANY parking.....which leaves the question, where are you parking? Sometimes miles from where we want to go in and the first spot we can squeeze in the truck.
Wait a sec, I thought all bulls in CO OTC units were raghorns?? Lol congrats on a couple nice elk!

Hello fellow hunters,

Looking to hunt gmu 53 for archery this year in colorado. If anyone has hunted this unit for archery or even rifle and has some tips about navigating the unit I would appreciate a discussion or even a DM. Good luck to you all, Im getting pumped for September!
I did a drop camp in ‘19 in 53 out of horse ranch park. First day in at daylight I had a bull at 45 yards, coming to my calls, only had to take another couple steps and I’d have had a shot but 2 guys from Michigan came running up the mountain and blew my one and only opportunity in 10 days 6 miles back. That’s public land OTC for ya. We bumped into other hunters every day and sometimes multiple times per day.

Sorry I’m so late to reply to this. Thanks for taking the time to write, much appreciated and congrats on your bull!! We will be doing a drop camp so hopefully that will help as we def won’t be close to parking but given what I’ve heard I have to expect to encounter other hunters. I’ll be getting boots on the ground to scout in august. I’ll fill you guys in on how it goes! If you want to pm me abs share anything else please do😎where you hunting this year?

How is the unit for bears, thinking about going just for bear

Hello fellow hunters,

👍

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back