Gloves - Best for late season pheasants.

thusby

Heading for pheasants at the end of November. I typically just hunt with bare hands in a waist muff. I would like to be quick on the draw while driving birds in the snow. Anyone have a favorite glove for warmth and trigger feel?

I typically wear either a pair of unlined deerskin gloves or a pair of uninsulated Mechanix workwear gloves. Both are thin enough for good trigger feel and plenty warm when walking. Never seen the need for insulated gloves during bird hunting.

I also wear the same unlined leather gloves I wear the rest of the season usually. I may add a thin merino liner underneath if it’s really cold. If I wear just the merino, the fabric on the end of the thumb always gets jammed with the shell when I’m reloading. That’s what I get for shooting a semi-auto I guess.

Fingerless merino gloves (first lite) is usually what I wear fishing in the low 30s and high 20s. They are surprisingly warm for that they are. If the winds biting though they fade fast .

Thin merino down the freezing. Add wind or below freezing temps, lined deerskin gloves. Or medium weight fleece gloves, can also use the thin merino as a liner. Wouldnt call November late season (at least in Sodak) but it can be cold or get a blizzard, or be sunny and 60*. We hunt into January when its really cold.

I like army surplus wool gloves. They’re ambidextrous, fitting either hand. Those and regular leather gloves.

Heading for pheasants at the end of November. I typically just hunt with bare hands in a waist muff. I would like to be quick on the draw while driving birds in the snow. Anyone have a favorite glove for warmth and trigger feel?
I winter in Montana and hunt Montana and North Dakota until the bitter end.

I wear polar fleece gloves with a chemical hand warmer inside on each palm.
That works for me and I hunt with a flushing lab.
ScoutWinterHun.jpg

I use a big fat chopper mitten on my left hand with a chemical warmer in it. That hand stays warm. I have stopped toting my 12ga 870 in favor of a much lighter gun because I find in late season a comfortable 1 hand carry is much easier with a lighter gun, and I can put free ungloved hand in a fleece lined pocket with a chemical warmer. That's my solution for really cold, because thin gloves don't cut it. When its warmer (or after I have warmed up walking for a while) I use "hyper tough" gloves that I think I got a walmart. I usually start a cold day with hand in fleece pocket, then use thin glove once I've walked a while and warmed up and keep tinkering as needed.

For me, fingerless gloves suck. I think the body reduces circulation to the colder exposed fingers and it ends up being counterproductive.

I like either the old airforce surplus mittens (for my off hand)or the three finger gloves with wool inserts!

I've used the Orvis Cold Weather Hunting Gloves for the past two seasons here in Minnesota. I hate having cold hands and these have been great. I wear them from about 30 degrees to -10. After that...I usually stay home lol!

I'm feeling like a Neanderthal reading this!🤣
If its mid 30s or below I wear brown jersey gloves, if it gets really cold (10° & below), I wear two pair. If they get wet I switch to a new pair.
More often than not here in Michigan the snow gets too deep for the dog to be productive before it gets too cold to hunt.

I'm feeling like a Neanderthal reading this!🤣
If its mid 30s or below I wear brown jersey gloves, if it gets really cold (10° & below), I wear two pair. If they get wet I switch to a new pair.
More often than not here in Michigan the snow gets too deep for the dog to be productive before it gets too cold to hunt.

This season there was really nothing reason to wear gloves. Just pulled the chopper mitts out for deer opener. High of 58 forecast. Gonna need them!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back