Caribou Gear

Glock Model 42 ???

buckykm1

I see that the Glock Model 42 380 is legal to buy in the States now.
I am a Big fan of Glock, and am thinking about buy one for my Wife.

Do any of you have one ? any thoughts pro or con ?.

Thanks
Kevin

The 43 is a more practical choice unless you are dead set on a 380.

Should be more coming available now that the 43 is out. Guys will be switching. It was the same when Ruger came out with the LC9.

There's truth to that statement. A single stack 9x19 would be a great option. Especially in a Glock. Gotta say, I love Glock. My G19 RTF2 has served me quite well for the past few years.

If you can get your hands on a G43 it might be nice to see which fits her hands better. I don't generally like .380's in general. The single stacks are typically too small for me to properly grip very well. Not to mention that a 9x19 will have far more open options for ammo.

I'd say, get her which ever one fits her hands better...

I see that the Glock Model 42 380 is legal to buy in the States now.
I am a Big fan of Glock, and am thinking about buy one for my Wife.

Do any of you have one ? any thoughts pro or con ?.

Thanks
Kevin

The 42 has been legal since it first came out. You may be thinking of the double stack 380 models? 25 & 28.....

I have a 43 on order already. They should be shipping the first batch after the NRA show this weekend.

I have smaller hands and the 42 felt pretty good in my hand. I agree that the M&P Shield 9 is a nice fit as well, but a larger profile if overall size is a concern for how and where she will carry. The only negative I have heard about the 42 is that they can stove-pipe if you limp wrist it at all. Could be a problem for a beginning female shooter. I had this problem with my first pocket gun,Taurus .380, at first but after a couple boxes of ammo I found it was just me and it hasn't happened since. Practice cures a lot of issues.

My Wife is in her 50s, and had never shot a gun of any kind, and she is just learning to shoot now.
about 1 1/2 years ago she told me that she wanted me to teach her to shoot a hand gun. and that she wanted to get her CPL.
I originally wanted to get her a Glock 380, but at that time, I was told that Glock didn't have a 380 that could be sold in the States ?.
So I bought her the S&W M&P Shield in 9mm, she shoots it okay, but she wasn't very comfortable with it, and the action is very stiff and a little hard for her to work.
so last summer I bought her the S&W M&P 22, she loves it.
but I would her carry gun to have a little more punch than a 22.
I am thinking that with the frame size of the Glock model 42, it should be comfortable for her to shoot ?.

Kevin

Last edited:
I bought a Smith & Wesson Shield. Wife and I took it to the range to shoot. She shot it very well. She turned and smiled and said I like it. So I don't own it any more. She was carry in a smith j frame 38. I am interested in the glock 43 for summer carry.

Bucky, maybe look at the Walther .380 ? We have the Walther PK22 or P22, can't remember model. We all shoot it very well, it has a smooth action, and fits our hands VERY well, (Me, Wife, 2 daughters) But, I'm with you on wanting more punch for a carry gun. My wife isn't quite comfortable with carrying yet and my daughters aren't old enough to do so legally or they would, as they are very safe and accurate with a handgun. Please keep us posted what she likes and ends up with.

Thanks Guys.
I am not sure what I should do ?.
My Wife struggles working the action on her S&W M&P Shield 9mm.
she really doesn't like wheel gun.
Her S&W M&P 22 she loves, shoots it great, and works it with no issues.
The action on the Glock model 42 380, is pretty stiff too. so I think she will have issues with it too.
So I am thinking that she is better off with a gun that she is comfortable with, verses a gun that she struggles with. even if it is a small caliber.
So I am thinking just buying her the S&W M&P 22 Compact, so it will be small enough for a concealed carry Gun, and just loading it with Hollow Points.

Any thoughts or suggestion ?.

Thanks
Kevin

Thoughts? Better to have her shooting something she is more accurate and comfortable with than something more powerful that she struggles with? Will the compact 22 shoot as well as the standard size? The smaller the grip the less control, it may not shoot the same. If she ever had to use a handgun for self defense what are the odds she would have to reload and work the slide? Maybe better to have 7-10 rounds of power than something she can reload easier? Only you and she will know whats best for her. At least she is willing to train with something and hopefully be able to protect herself if the need ever arose. I tried the slides on several .380 pocket guns when I was shopping and I remember some were definitely easier to operate. I believe Kahr was one of the easiest.

Hard to go wrong with glocks... I can not knock them one bit. I am not a personal fan of .380 as usually the same size grip, etc is available with more stopping power from the 9mm.

With that said, my wife enjoys her Taurus PT709 Slim. Everything about it is designed around safety. Trigger, slide, etc. "Slim" grip for smaller hands (She is 5'). Small size easy to carry and the big part, she loves shooting it. I was surprised to find her and another lady went to the range together... Hard to explain as my wife does not have an interest in hand guns though this firearm, she finds very comfortable and that is a big win from my perspective.

Thanks Guys.
I am not sure what I should do ?.
My Wife struggles working the action on her S&W M&P Shield 9mm.
she really doesn't like wheel gun.
Her S&W M&P 22 she loves, shoots it great, and works it with no issues.
The action on the Glock model 42 380, is pretty stiff too. so I think she will have issues with it too.
So I am thinking that she is better off with a gun that she is comfortable with, verses a gun that she struggles with. even if it is a small caliber.
So I am thinking just buying her the S&W M&P 22 Compact, so it will be small enough for a concealed carry Gun, and just loading it with Hollow Points.

Any thoughts or suggestion ?.

Thanks
Kevin

Slides will get easier to work as the gun is broken in. It usually takes 2-300 rounds before a semi is really broken in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back