Give and Take

WestT

I broke the ice a few weeks ago with my first post regarding a wounded deer that I used my buck tag on to end his suffering. In an attempt to be more of a contributor than a lurker I have a few other things I would like to share. I would be lying though if I didn't admit that I am soon going to solicit information on Unit 66 in CO but in the mean time here are my stories. In late 2012/early 2013 some friends and I decided that we wanted to take our first adventure out West and hunt elk. As most of you have experienced we were all extremely excited and read and researched as much as we possibly could. After much discussion we ended up deciding on having an outfitter pack us in to a drop camp in Unit 444 in CO for the second rifle season. The pack in was breathtaking and the experience was second to none. Especially since this midwesterner had never seen the Rockies!!! We really weren't sure what to expect but we all were intent on hunting hard and sharing the experience (as well as any meat) together. I could write a book on the week long trip but the highlights included a 6x6 on day one that two of us tracked up a mountain for 5 hours after a marginal hit and were able to finish him off. Walking up to that large animal for the first time is something that will never be forgotten...getting him off the mountain won't be forgotten either...whew! Next was a cow taken by another member of the group that dropped within feet of the horse trail which was very convenient to say the least. I scored third with a 5x5 that I am extremely proud of. I scared the you know what out of the two guys that had already tagged out in the tent since I was only about 50 yards away when I shot! Sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut huh? And shortly after that the final, and largest, bull for the group was taken down the valley. The entire trip was a team effort and formed quite the bond between myself and camp mates. We feel very fortunate to have done so well on our first trip which was basically unguided other than the camp being set up and the horses that packed the elk out. To say we are hooked would be an understatement. Plus, without that Western experience I may not have ever ventured onto this site and been able to become a part of it all. I have attached a few pics...thanks for reading.

Attachments

• Second Kill 10.jpg
    Second Kill 10.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 539
  • Fist Kill 9.jpg
    Fist Kill 9.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 607
  • Third Kill 12.jpg
    Third Kill 12.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 612
  • Day Relaxing in Camp 15.jpg
    Day Relaxing in Camp 15.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 574
Sounds like a wonderful adventure! Congrats on harvesting some terrific animals. Kudos to each of you for wearing your hunter orange proudly too....big thumbs up!

Back