Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Gimme the Story on Kimber Rifles

I own two, and both shoot about 3/4" with a factory load they like.

1. 84L Select Grade in 30-06 w/ a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 (2011)
2. Mountain Ascent in 7mm-08 w/ a Leupold Ultralight 3-9x33 (2017)

I will say that they both are a little finicky with factory loads; which I always attributed to more oscillation with the thin barrels. I also needed to up my marksmanship game when I got the Mountain Ascent, it demands a lot more out of the nutjob behind the trigger. Once, I got my act together I have been able to hit out to 600yds.

I empathize with those who chose to not go with a Kimber. I heard the stories of @Randy11 when he was going through the QC issues. I have yet to witness the real bad accuracy, but have heard enough stories.

My Mountain Ascent is sub 6lbs with scope and a magazine full of ammo, and I would argue that it is almost too light to be practical. I wish I had gone with a Montana. I almost didn't bring it on my mountain goat hunt because it is so demanding to shoot. In the end I put two 140grn E-tips within an 1.5" of each other right in the pocket, and couldn't have been happier...
I could not keep the Montana still....try as I might. It was all me coz it would shoot.

It’s questions and experiences like those in this thread that make me wish rifle manufactures were more like ski and surfboard manufacturers with a touring annual range day where they let folks take a poke with some of their goods. Sure an insurer would love that one.

I’m a great shot with an 8.5lb 30-06, but have no idea if I could keep a 5.5lb 7mm-08 steady even if the rifle shoots like it should. $1500 is a big gamble to find that out, assuming the thing works well from the factory.

It’s questions and experiences like those in this thread that make me wish rifle manufactures were more like ski and surfboard manufacturers with a touring annual range day where they let folks take a poke with some of their goods. Sure an insurer would love that one.

I’m a great shot with an 8.5lb 30-06, but have no idea if I could keep a 5.5lb 7mm-08 steady even if the rifle shoots like it should. $1500 is a big gamble to find that out, assuming the thing works well from the factory.
I had similar reservations before I got my first one. They aren't cheap rifles and i was similarly concerned about getting a lemon. Once they came out with the accuracy guarantee I eventually got one. Once I learned to shoot it things went great. I think a lot of people who don't take the time to learn to shoot them simply get rid of them claimimg inaccuracies. I also think that when things don't work out and the rifle is fairly expensive people get very upset and are very vocal online. I think there are a lot of happy customers who don't comment and simply just keep shooting them happy as a clam. I will also say that I didn't set mine up to be the lightest possible. I put a vx5 2-10 scope on them and they come in about 6.75 lbs. With sling and ammo a little over 7lbs. Just about right in my opinion related to weight vs shoot ability for a mountain rifle. If I had to choose between my tikka and my kimbers I would take one of the kimbers. For me they just fit and I really like their feature set. That is very subjective though.

I have used 2 Montanas, 7-08 (my sister's) and my .223 they both shoot well with handloads. I've never had issues, no complaints. They are both from the 2010 era. Will say for that kind of lightweight rifle, that Kimber is nowhere near the level of quality that the Seekins Havak element is, but they are also less costly. I've never used a Tikka, but I hear people really like them also.

I have used 2 Montanas, 7-08 (my sister's) and my .223 they both shoot well with handloads. I've never had issues, no complaints. They are both from the 2010 era. Will say for that kind of lightweight rifle, that Kimber is nowhere near the level of quality that the Seekins Havak element is, but they are also less costly. I've never used a Tikka, but I hear people really like them also.
I don't want to hijack this thread but I would love to hear about that seekins havak element. 2h6 do you think it's so good.

lighter, stock is likely a big aspect of making it easier to shoot, while really absorbing recoil better - shoots lights out. I really like it.

I have a Montana in 308, bought it in 2011. Its killed about a dozen sheep and caribou, a few deer and a brown bear. It shoots well enough for me, sub 1" with current load or less. After 3 shots it opens up a lot though. I'm not a long range shooter, but have taken a few animals at 400+/- with it. You have to hold your mouth just right to get it to shoot though. Field conditions are tough for me at times. If I can set up with a good rest, and take time, I can put it where it needs to go. With rushed shots, or crappy rests it can turn into a rodeo pretty fast.

I was going to buy a 22-250/223 et al for my kids, but found a Howa Mini in a Grendel that fits the bill for now. Weighs about the same. I'm not sure I'd buy another kimber, unless a deal came along. I've got too many rifles as it is, but I have considered getting a 280AI for an all around rifle for the kids when they get older. Hard to justify it though when I have 2x 280mountain rifles in the safe already, but neither are stainless though. I would take a stainless mountain rifle over a Kimber, TBH. The extra pound/pound an a half makes a huge difference for me.

I could not keep the Montana still....try as I might. It was all me coz it would shoot.

I had to try several different holds before I could get it settled. And I really had to concentrate on all the shooting steps.

But once it was sighted in and come ups dialed it does well shooting minute of deer from field positions.

I have an 8400 Montana @ 2008 vintage in 270 wsm. Shoots moa but has occasional feed problems, which is more a function of the cartridge than the rifle. Overall very satisfied.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back