Getting Truck off road ready

wa_archer

After years of being lucky enough to have someone pull me out or dig myself out of some sticky situations I have decided it is time to get my truck more hunt ready. I have a few things in mind.

I already have good tires and am going to stick with stock suspension as nothing I do requires a taller vehicle.

My main thoughts are getting a winch setup on my vehicle. Debating one of two ways, just go with the good ol front bumper set up. Or put a hitch on the front and put a winch on a carrier to be able to swap from front to back. What are guys experiences when using a winch would this setup be advantageous or am i over thinking things.

I have also been seeing these maxxtrax boards on every suv running around town. Anyone with experience do they actually work or do you need a very specific set of circumstances.

Like I said i'm not doing any off roading all of my instances of being stuck have been on FS roads either due to snow or mud conditions in the spring and fall.

Thanks for the input.

I finally bot a winch and put it on a carrier. Just plug it in to the hitch If I ever need it. So far, not yet. But it's a nice sense of security

To me there are 2 completely different "off road ready" definitions.

One is for folks who are regularly out there testing their machines in extreme situations and when given the choice of the easy way vs. the hard way are going to intentionally take the harder way because they enjoy testing the limits of their equipment. Some of those guys are going to spend almost as much upgrading their vehicles as they spent on the vehicle itself.

The other is for folks who want to get to places that are sometimes difficult to get to or where conditions might make it difficult. I think most of us are in that category. Throw some chains in a box, get some ropes and chains, for sure a come-a-long, maybe a high lift jack, etc.

As trucks are getting fancier and fancier, the second group is having to adjust. Most trucks don't want you to put chains on the fronts anymore. Not sure where I would hook up a high lift jack on the front of my truck now without scratching it all up. I've gotten out of some pretty bad spots with a come-a-long though. I would put it and some chains pretty high on my list.

One thing I've been trying to think through is a "portable" winch. A cord and box that you essentially use as a come-a-long but you have 50' of winch cable/rope instead of what seems like about 5' when you are using a come-a-long. Have some type of chain that you can rig up to your front recovery hooks and use it that way. Kind of surprised someone hasn't come up with one that works off the big lithium batteries and you wouldn't even need to have them hooked up to 12v power.

EDIT - I guess they already make them - https://www.amazon.com/WARN-885005-...2c6ed&pd_rd_wg=EnLsr&pd_rd_i=B00437IHOC&psc=1

Not sure I would pay that much though and they seem pretty low rated. I guess there probably is a safety issue if they were rated high enough to break stuff and you are standing there running it.

Last edited:
I have a winch (warn) that I have had on a carrier that fits into a front receiver on 2 vehicles. Here is why I like the combo. 1) ability to use it front or back by simply running a long quick connect cable to the tow receiver in the back. 2) When not in use the winch gets stored in the garage keeping it out of the weather and possible theft and don't have to continually drive with the extra weight 3) MUCH lower cost of the basket/front receiver over a winch bumper 4) ability to easily move it to another vehicle.

I will also say that Maxtrax are very useful and versatile in a lot of situations but there are some (deep soupy mud, some slick rock situations) where they aren't useful.

One thing
IF you go to a winch that can go in front and back.
YOU NEED huge power cables to run that kind of power to the back of the truck.
I use #0 to run from my Backup battery upfront of my 2013 F150 to the hitch receiver in the back.
I also have a "Perko" switch to cut the current when not in use.

I always keep a set of chains and truck claws in my truck. Have used the chains several times but have yet to break out the truck claws. I also always have a shovel, jack, and 6 foot 2x4 (for the truck claws).

Have thought about a winch but have never needed one over the years (knock on wood) so haven't bit the bullet yet.

Last edited:
I think the portable winch and hitch receivers front and back is probably the most logical option. I opted for the cool looking bull bar winch bumper and winch on my truck though. I have not personally used maxtrax, but they seem to work good in the videos! If you have the money, maybe think about a rear diff locker. Other than that, good chains and a shovel is about all you need.

I spent a large portion of my late 20's/early 30's traveling the country towing a non street legal 4x4 (trailer queen dual cased, locked rock crawling Toyota) around the country running trails like the Rubicon, Dusy Ershem, Moab and so much more.

Your thought process given that you don't want to spend a ton of money on lifting your vehicle or doing a bunch of mods (Strictly looking to become unstuck in very reasonable situations of which you would ask a "stock" truck to encounter). I would say that chains, tow straps (several) and a hitch mounted portable winch would be a fine choice. You don't need some huge winch either. Just because your truck tips the scales at 6000lbs or whatever it is, doesn't mean you need a 6000lb winch or greater........(I ran a hard mounted little 2500lb Warn out behind my Toyota for years and did some pretty amazing things with it) If all that is required is a tug and some mild vehicle power, even a small 2000lb winch would work. I personally would look at something of the 4500lb variety with synthetic rope in order to keep the weight down (it's portable after all). A snatch block will double the power of a 4500lb winch and give at a maximum 20ft of reach (this is where additional rope, straps or additional cable will have to come into play.

Disclosure: Be aware that overworking a small winch with an over size load requires some knowledge and experience. Being aware of a small winch and it's capability is an experience driven thing and can surely be dangerous if you are not aware of what you are doing.

A hitch front and rear is nice and would be the simple solution but also not necessary. Attaching a small winch via load equalizer straps and at least two hitch points is extremely effective and in my eyes can be preferable for proper directional pull.

I have a ton of experience with this sort of thing so keep in mind where I am coming from. My .02

Thanks guys, confirming what I was thinking of doing. Now trying to find the most low profile front hitch so not to loose ground clearance. Already limited with a Chevy.

I always keep a set of chains and truck claws in my truck. Have used the chains several times but have yet to break out the truck claws. I also always have a shovel, jack, and 6 foot 2x4 (for the truck claws).

Have thought about a winch but have never needed one over the years (knock on wooed) so haven't bit the bullet yet.

What's the 6' 2x4 for?

After years of being lucky enough to have someone pull me out or dig myself out of some sticky situations I have decided it is time to get my truck more hunt ready. I have a few things in mind.

I already have good tires and am going to stick with stock suspension as nothing I do requires a taller vehicle.

My main thoughts are getting a winch setup on my vehicle. Debating one of two ways, just go with the good ol front bumper set up. Or put a hitch on the front and put a winch on a carrier to be able to swap from front to back. What are guys experiences when using a winch would this setup be advantageous or am i over thinking things.

I have also been seeing these maxxtrax boards on every suv running around town. Anyone with experience do they actually work or do you need a very specific set of circumstances.

Like I said i'm not doing any off roading all of my instances of being stuck have been on FS roads either due to snow or mud conditions in the spring and fall.

Thanks for the input.
Glad you clarified at the end you're not intending to actually go off road with it. I was about to drop the hammer! My old '87 Chev P/U has locking hubs, standard 4-speed, and V6 engine. That truck will push snow over the hood in 3rd gear low 4x4 with chains on the front. Standard tranny is the way to go for that kind of work ... if you can find one.

If it's super stuck in the mud, the 2X4 can be used with the extender bar on the side of the tire to give more traction.

Oh, I knew about extenders for them. I just never imagined a six-foot one.
Thanks for the reply.

Oh, I knew about extenders for them. I just never imagined a six-foot one.
Thanks for the reply.
I didn't explain it very well. With the extenders on, you would put the 2X4 (or any piece of wood or log) horizontally along the tire and the extender would catch that and give it more traction to get out of the mud. Not sure if that makes sense. In the video, towards the end, they use a log to do the same thing.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back