Getting Truck off road ready

After years of being lucky enough to have someone pull me out or dig myself out of some sticky situations I have decided it is time to get my truck more hunt ready. I have a few things in mind.

I already have good tires and am going to stick with stock suspension as nothing I do requires a taller vehicle.

My main thoughts are getting a winch setup on my vehicle. Debating one of two ways, just go with the good ol front bumper set up. Or put a hitch on the front and put a winch on a carrier to be able to swap from front to back. What are guys experiences when using a winch would this setup be advantageous or am i over thinking things.

I have also been seeing these maxxtrax boards on every suv running around town. Anyone with experience do they actually work or do you need a very specific set of circumstances.

Like I said i'm not doing any off roading all of my instances of being stuck have been on FS roads either due to snow or mud conditions in the spring and fall.

Thanks for the input.
If you go with a winch (or two) get a couple of snatch blocks. It will make it easier for your winch to pull you out.

While your at it, make sure you get an onboard air, Rear locker(air or electronic is fine) a flatbed, Welder, extra fuel cell, and a Crane. Only then will you be ready for hunting wabbits.

One thing
IF you go to a winch that can go in front and back.
YOU NEED huge power cables to run that kind of power to the back of the truck.
I use #0 to run from my Backup battery upfront of my 2013 F150 to the hitch receiver in the back.
I also have a "Perko" switch to cut the current when not in use.
+1

Considering the same for a 2020 ram 1500 crew cab with ecodiesel. Just want a small lift to put slightly larger off-road tires. Don’t know why they sell them with road treads, amp research power steps, seat covers, ceramic tinting for uv protection (live in Las Vegas), winch probably isn tin the cards. Maybe the next 3/4 ton when I get retired and out of this desert. Guy at 4x4 shop told me I needed a 6 inch lift and 37 inch tires. He sees $$ but I am not 20 trying to impress anyone and it is a diesel but a 6 cylinder so think rolling 110+ pound tires is a dumb idea. Just want to be able to get off road to more remote fishing areas, hunting ( if I could draw a dang tag!!) areas etc. But so many to choose from. Don’t want to put “spacers” if it going to effect angles and wear ball joints faster...Any suggestions appreciated. I am mechanically challenged.

Considering the same for a 2020 ram 1500 crew cab with ecodiesel. Just want a small lift to put slightly larger off-road tires. Don’t know why they sell them with road treads, amp research power steps, seat covers, ceramic tinting for uv protection (live in Las Vegas), winch probably isn tin the cards. Maybe the next 3/4 ton when I get retired and out of this desert. Guy at 4x4 shop told me I needed a 6 inch lift and 37 inch tires. He sees $$ but I am not 20 trying to impress anyone and it is a diesel but a 6 cylinder so think rolling 110+ pound tires is a dumb idea. Just want to be able to get off road to more remote fishing areas, hunting ( if I could draw a dang tag!!) areas etc. But so many to choose from. Don’t want to put “spacers” if it going to effect angles and wear ball joints faster...Any suggestions appreciated. I am mechanically challenged.
IMO put some AT tires on there and get out there. It’s fine as is unless you’re looking for trouble.

I think the portable winch and hitch receivers front and back is probably the most logical option. I opted for the cool looking bull bar winch bumper and winch on my truck though. I have not personally used maxtrax, but they seem to work good in the videos! If you have the money, maybe think about a rear diff locker. Other than that, good chains and a shovel is about all you need.
Did you have to upgrade the suspension on to acomodate the bull bar and winch weight?

For years, all we had was a 1969 Chevy 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive with Bald recaps, 4 speed, and straight 6.
Went every place we had to go, Before that my Grampa just had a Nomad station wagon.
It went places I will not go with the 4x4 truck I have now.

Did you have to upgrade the suspension on to acomodate the bull bar and winch weight?
Yes and no. I already had upgraded suspension and a lift on it, but I ended up replacing all that with a new lift kit and shocks when I put the bumper and winch on. If my truck was stock when I added that bumper/winch setup I believe I would have to upgrade the springs.

I ran Doug with stock suspension with the bumper, basket, winch combo. Had no issues but also did not run with the winch on until I got off road. Here is how it looked.20191018_181812.jpg

Alright only down to buying the winch and rear wiring harness. put a front hitch, leveling kit and got a set of Max Trax, re worked my recovery tools (shovel, tree strap, shackles, snatch block, spare strap, tools), and through on a cold air intake since i was at it.

The last two times I needed to use my winch. I had got stuck while trying to turn around on a road that turned to a mud bog. Inserted the winch in front receiver, Hooked to a tree with my tow strap wrapped around it. Winched right out. I use a 20' 0 gauge commercial jumper cable for power, type used on big rigs. With a quick disconnect. One side is short for use on front, the other is long for rear. I got the jumper cable and quick disconnect plug set at NAPA. I have a Warn 8,000lb with 80' of steel cable, 20' heavy duty tow strap, block, 30' of 3/8" chain, then a short 3/8" chain for hooking the block to a tree, etc. Which gives me a 130' reach to something to pull from. Out in the desert that can be very short. Look up how to make a deadman pull point.

I would +1 the come along, along with tow straps and a solid shovel. The best advice I ever got though: Get stuck in the middle of the road so the next person has to help you out!

A winch seems to provide am extra level of confidence that you have something else to get your out of a bind.
My question is how do you select the appropriate lbs rating?

Ive had the caps for lug nuts not come off before. Than a simple tire change turns into calling someone to tow me. They had to use a special socket to bite into lugnut caps. Its a cheap fix and worth it. Go online and buy some nicer lugnuts than what comes on the truck. At least what was on my 2011 F150.

I just got a full tire patch kit in the mail today and tomorrow or the next day I have a sidewall patch kit coming. Jack is gonna be ready this fall.

Another thing is tire chains for the high elevation forest areas.
I have a Ford Ranger and like almost every other mid-size they do not "permit" chains in the front as is. I added 1-inch spacers and chains work well.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back