Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Getting it done on public land

Love it.

Not to take away from the knife, but my wife bought me a Gerber game shears for Christmas or a birthday a few years ago. I can skin, gut, and quarter one with that thing, no knife required. It sped my squirrel processing times up a lot.
I’ve been eyeing a pair of those.
I’ve got some camillus’s that are good for breaking the bones but they don’t work very well as scissors for trimming.

Welp, Had about as much fun as you can have whitetail hunting tonight without actually getting it done.

It’s the last day before the woods close for 2nds shotgun so I decided I should take the bow out and give it a try.
There was a hurricane west wind coming down that would’ve blown the hatch off the Edmund Fitzgerald I decided this morning that i was gonna ditch the stand and sit on the ground, a method I’ve historically found to be not that effective.

I got to the small woods pretty late and decided to hit a quick squire loop on the trail to burn some calories before sitting down and starring into space.
No squirrels.
A dude with his off leash dog pushed a small buck and for right past me on the way back to the car.

Ditched the .22 grabbed the bow and headed down to the river bottom in hopes of playing the raging wind.
Hid up behind a big tree hoping the deer would pass in front of me where they gave before and I’d have like a 15yd shot.

After about 20min a button bucks that I totally would’ve smoked stepped out at about 27yds.
After hitting a doe high at 12yds 2 years ago, I’m really having a hard time justifying shooting anything past 20 so that’s that.
From where he stepped out of the tall grass at I had no cover so I just watched him walk out to about 40.
I drew the bow and held the pin on him for no real reason 🤷‍♂️.
He stepped behind a thick cluster of tree and since I was on the ground I decided to make a fast creep for him, but saw the white flag well before getting within striking range.

Went back to hiding behind the tree.
With like 5 min of shooting light left all hell broke loose.
Idk if a buck wax chasing around these does or if they were winding me but it seemed like there was a bunch of them running around me.
Another one came into about 30ish and I was able to draw and get her in the sight, but again she just didn’t present an easy enough shot.

So I sat there till I started shivering, got up and hiked out of there without having to pack up a tree stand.

Might try the ground more often 🤷‍♂️

Saw a bunch of turkeys roosting too, but I don’t practice shooting at an upward angle often enough...

Well, I guess you guys don’t like stories about trigger discipline and being on the ground, in the pocket with big game animals.
Everybody wants to see that money shot, but they don’t want your read about the hard work and hustle it takes to get there.

Anyways, the woods are pretty much closed through Sunday, so I’ve got 4 days to reflect on last nights hunt and come up with a plan for next week.

I’ll get it done.
I’ll kill.

Didn’t see chit from tonight’s setup but one squirrel.
What I thought was gonna be an ag field turned out to be some weird habitat restoration tall grass chit.
Wtf idnr?
Plant some corn or something.
I drove around the park tonight and found some deer munching out in an actual ag field on the south side of the property.
Not sure if I should go in there blind and find a spot to sit in the dark in the morning or wait until tomorrow afternoon to hit that spot 🤷‍♂️

Got the campground all to myself.
A bit chilly, but as a western mountaineer with a -25 degree bag, I’m not really worried. 😏

The setup:
5F6B714A-7462-4D83-970C-EBE573610F02.jpeg138B7DC4-054A-46EE-9911-9CEECBC8A3BF.jpeg

@ElkFever2 @seeth07 @nick87 @otherwhitetailguys

The x’s are where I saw the deer feeding in the open fields this evening.
Would you try to sneak in there in the morning and set the edge of the woods or wait until tomorrow evening to try that spot and hope they come back?
Wind is supposed to blow 25 out of the south tomorrow 🤷‍♂️

Idk about down by you but wind is supposed to lay down Saturday afternoon. That is when I would do it. What us wind by you for Saturday or Sunday? You gun or bowhunting?

Didn’t see chit from tonight’s setup but one squirrel.
What I thought was gonna be an ag field turned out to be some weird habitat restoration tall grass chit.
Wtf idnr?
Plant some corn or something.
I drove around the park tonight and found some deer munching out in an actual ag field on the south side of the property.
Not sure if I should go in there blind and find a spot to sit in the dark in the morning or wait until tomorrow afternoon to hit that spot 🤷‍♂️

Got the campground all to myself.
A bit chilly, but as a western mountaineer with a -25 degree bag, I’m not really worried. 😏

The setup:
View attachment 253188View attachment 253189
Any Liger sightings or are you south of the introduction area?

Yes wait until evening and wind will be everything. If it's blowing hard, they won't move far. But the minute it lays down, even if it's only going from 20 to 10, you want to be there ready. Even if it's 1pm

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back