Getting it done on public land

Squirrels are to deer/elk as chicken is to beef: BETTER.

Cereal-y (Frosted Mini Wheats), a quartered squirrel braised in a nice white wine (French*, of course!) with fresh herbs, over root vegetables, and maybe a potato puree, is one of the best meals imaginable. Gotdanged heaven on plate.

* I dont have much good to say about those folks, other than, 'my ____ (fill in the blank) do they know how to eat and drink!'.

I was wondering about the rangefinder myself. 😀
It’s tethered to my bino harness and sometimes as a bow hunter while I’m out squirrel hunting I’ll find trees I want to sit in for deer and range shooting lanes around said tree.
I have ranged squirrels before in an attempt to figure the approximate effective range of my shotgun.

Binoculars are an essential piece of SH gear.
It’s very satisfying to get one tree’d, lay down under the tree and pick him out with the binos.
When you see just that smug little squirrel face sticking out from a crook way up in the tree... 😊 💥 💥 💥

Whew, I was just in the car with like half my camping gear getting ready to go try to solo a whitetail and suddenly I got the same vibe Alex got on his first attempt of el cap and I just aborted the hunt at the end of the block and turned around.
Scheduling might allow a squirrel hunt tomorrow.
Looking like I might not get out with the bow until after second shotgun, but I’ve always been drawn to difficult pursuits.

Time to go ride the bike.

Whew, I was just in the car with like half my camping gear getting ready to go try to solo a whitetail and suddenly I got the same vibe Alex got on his first attempt of el cap and I just aborted the hunt at the end of the block and turned around.
Scheduling might allow a squirrel hunt tomorrow.
Looking like I might not get out with the bow until after second shotgun, but I’ve always been drawn to difficult pursuits.

Time to go ride the bike.

what, like, if i go i'm gonna die today vibe?

that doesn't sound like #puttinginthework

It’s already 2, the sun sets at 4:30.
There’s just not enough time to respect the hunt.
I was able to locate my lone wolf ascender and climbing harness and get all that gear ready to go.
If I can get one more squirrel hunt under my belt I feel like I will be peaking as an outdoors athlete and prepared to take on the whitetail.

And I just don’t really want to sit on my ass and stare in to space for 3 or 4hrs.
That’s what I do for a living, I don’t want to do it on my day off.
Walking around pointing your gun at stuff and killing it’s way more fun.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back