Caribou Gear Tarp

Getting in shape for hunting season.

GlockZ

So now that hunting season is upon us,just curious to see what everyone has done to either stay in shape and or get in shape for hunting season. Myself, well besides going to the local gym 2 or 3 times a week, I also walk and or hike a couple of miles everyday,( it helps having 2 dogs that like going for a long stroll). Also because of my job I'm always moving and lifting relatively heavy objects all day long. Also, how many friends of yours do you see every year huffing and puffing all through hunting season,and while trying to catch their breathe manage to mumble how they need to get into shape?

Your on the right track! I usually hunt alone but when I hunt with others they always seem to regret not being in better shape! It's always a plus having a job where I do an incredible amount of hiking! In fact, I don't train for any hunts because I stay so active at work and on weekends. I'm usually more concerned with trying to recover from long days at work rather than trying to keep weight off. It's also nice living at around 4,500' elevation. It's always tough for guys that live at sea level and hunt at 9,000'+. Even if you're in prime shape and train at sea level it's good to take it easy the first few days acclimating to higher elevation! I hunt Alaska as often as I can and it's always nice going down in elevation rather than the other way around. The trick is staying in shape 365 days a year. You won't regret it when you are stalking a buck, bull, or ram of a lifetime!

I have a friend who is always mentioning how he would like to join us when we go hunting everytime he sees our pictures. The problem is that he's about 100lbs overweight. My wife say we should invite him along but I ask her how will he feel when we go up the mountains and he can't go. He gets out of breath just walking 100 yards to a fishing spot. I will not be responsible for him having a heart attack.

Mine has changed a fair amount the last 2 years. I have an ankle injury from football 16 years ago that is starting to catch up to me, so I can't do a lot of running anymore. I try to have a balanced weight lifting routine with a lot of attention devoted to legs and core. A simple workout I've found that gets cardio going and gets your legs strong and good endurance is a squat routine: start with bodyweight and go up from there (i like to hold a 25-45# weight plate behind my head).do 20-30 good squats or however many you can or want to do. Take 1 minute break between sets. Do 20-30 minutes 3-4 times a week. About 1000 reps a week. It works, and it minimizes injury without a ton of weight. Nothing beats hiking hills with a pack to prepare either. Just be careful on downhill. Easy to hurt knees in downhill.

There is theoretical and practical evidence that the best exercise is the kind that you will actually do. I've broken bones in both of my feet this year, but still managed a 112# 5 mile load of elk and two high mileage backpack hunts so far. Basically the only lower body exercise I allowed myself to do was body weight squats, so they work well for me when weighted lifts are not an option.

I have a friend who is always mentioning how he would like to join us when we go hunting everytime he sees our pictures. The problem is that he's about 100lbs overweight. My wife say we should invite him along but I ask her how will he feel when we go up the mountains and he can't go. He gets out of breath just walking 100 yards to a fishing spot. I will not be responsible for him having a heart attack.
He might just surprise you. By most measures, I'm a good 100# overweight and to date I've been able to mostly get to where I need to be...

There is theoretical and practical evidence that the best exercise is the kind that you will actually do.
This in spades! Doing something consistently is key! Find something you like and do it often. I like a weight based program that focuses on funtional movements and one that mixes it up between gas tank drainers and grunt inducing strength days. Today I ran about 2mi with the dog. Friday was lots of air squats, dumbell snatches and hanging knee raises.

Last edited:
I go to the gym md all that boring (to me) stuff but I think the best is spending the summer scouting or backpacking to mountain lakes.

I went on my first solo elk trip in high country Colorado. Base camp was 9k hunted mostly in 11-12k. I was there for 16 days. Average around 6-10 miles a day. It was the most exhausting thing I have ever endured and I didn't even manage to shoot an elk. Towards the end of the trip I questioned myself if I could even pack one out during 80 degree days. If I wasn't at athletic level there would be a lot of regrets of me attempting.

Riding that wave of being fit and being un healthy is a struggle and keeps getting harder as soon as you fall off the wagon. I'm not to particular about "getting in shape" but rather just being in shape as a lifestyle. I do cross fit style workouts 4-5 days a week and run at least 30 miles total. Having exercise-induced Asthma all of my life, keeping my cardio up is a huge factor of how I go about my days in the field.

Hunters should know there limits and only take hunts that won't put themselves in danger or their hunting partners. Heart problems as someone mentioned, poor coordination and balance could land you on the pointy branch end of a dead fall or down a steep cliff.

Of course you don't have to train like some extremist do. However, just making good choices in life with diet and simple exercises can make a world of a difference. Keep them joints moving, back stretched, and extra weight down. Your wife sure isn't going to argue with that.

I know the Big Fin posted in a video that he's constantly out hiking and that's how he keeps himself in shape. I try to replicate what I might come across in a hunting situation, & try to duplicate that in my training regimen.

I'm in the gym 4 days a week. Since I got my pack I've been walking between 1-2 miles depending on which route I take 3-4 times a week. Pack is loaded down with a 20lb bag of rice and 2 20lb dumbbells ha ha. Walk around with my boots.

I say take your buddy. I just started getting in shape for next year. I get you don't want to be responsible for him having a heart attack. It could happen. He could also slow you down but there's a chance he'll struggle enough that he decides he wants to get in shape. Might save his life. Then again he may shoot a monster a couple hundred yards from the truck and think y'all are nuts for working so hard when you can shoot them close to the road.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back