Getting away from motorized vehicles in Idaho

TheWanderer

**I posted this thread in backpacking forum as well - wasn't sure of best location for this question.

I have been to CO the last couple years for elk but am planning on trying to draw an ID elk tag and if not buy one OTC for central ID this year for a change of scenery and luck.

The ID online tools are great and looking at some of these units there seem to be motorcycle and off road trails across a lot of territory. I am looking for help with getting away from the motorized crowd as I'll be backpack hunting.

I looked for old threads addressing this and didn't find much.

Does anyone know if these trails are closed for hunting seasons? Do people actually follow that rule if present or is abuse rampant?

I'll be looking to arrow any bull elk as I've yet to get one and will be backpacking in with the hope of going 3-4 miles.

Thanks for your opinions and information.

Most folks won't carry an elk 1 mile, let alone 3. You do not have to be too far from a road to reduce the traffic a bunch. If there is a road you are correct to assume someone will be on it. Even if the roads are closed to big game hunting; bird hunters, photographers, sightseers, off-road enthusiasts, morons, etc. can still legally use the roads. Closed does not necessarily mean closed to all.
Depending on the unit you choose, you cab fly into central Idaho and out for less than $800. Pack a mile from the landing strip and you could be pretty lonely.
Good luck.

I am mainly worried about all the motorcycle trails I see. I don't want to pack in only to find someone there the next morning on a dirtbike.

I may be going by myself. A buddy said he'll go if we draw a controlled hunt but not to an OTC unit as success rates are so much lower and we'd be facing an uphill battle coming in from out of state and not knowing area.

If he bails I was going to start looking at the idea of an elk packer that I could call and pay for pack out if I downed one and got game bags to a trail. I backpack hunted 3-4 miles in in the San Juans a couple years ago on my own.

I know in CO anyone packing game had to be a registered outfitter and they wanted $$$ to do it. Does someone packing game for a fee have to be a registered guide in Idaho?

I have experienced dirt bikes ripping bye me on one of those trails in ID... they were definitely not hunting, just doing their own thing. In this particular area, that trail was 4-5 miles long and the only established trail into a 20-25 square mile area so there was always some traffic either on foot, horse or bike but it didn't impact the hunting IMO. I've considered getting a bike to cut the first 4-5 miles down and know others who did but never saw one.

Honestly, if the trail is used to get to a larger remote area then I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm going to answer your 2 questions...

1) Some of these roads are restricted (no motorized) but does not stop most moron's as stated above. Other's are closed midnight of Sept. 30, most get closed for the any weapon season(s). At least where I hunt, but as mentioned this does not stop to many people from driving around the gate. You need to be in the Wilderness to be completely by yourself, most National Forest allow motorcycles on the horse/hiking trails.

2) Abuse for the most part...... there are the few that are lazy that don't go around the gates....

Good luck, hope to hear your story this fall, There are some good places to backpack into, not all of those units are in the Central part of the state :wink: You should do well, keep the wind in your face and shoot straight.
Matt

What elk zones are you looking at? PM if you want. Some zones are notorious for rule breakers and the lack of game or BLM managers in the area. Some zones are ok and you run into good law abiders for the most part.

Go to the National Forest web page (Boise, Caribou, Sawtooth...) and look for the Motor Vehicle Use map. It'll show you active trails and open/closure dates. It'll also show what types of motor vehicles are allowed.

I have hunted active trails and only seen one or two ATVs in a day. One of my regular deer hunts is hiking an active motorcycle trail. I've never seen a bike on it in four years of hunting it.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back