Gear recommendations from the field

Love my Havalon, love OnX maps, love my Jetboil, love my Wyoming saw and love my Leupold RX Full Draw 2 rangefinder.

How does the OnX maps for Iphones work if you are in an area without cell service? I'm ignorant to this.

Edit: I looked it up. I may be investing in this soon.

Last edited:
I broke down and bought a cheap $8 hydration bladder off ebay. It holds 2 liters of water, and I got one that it is easy to clean and rinse out. I think I'm hauling more weight in water in my pack, but here in the dry air of Colorado, the exertion of gradient, and the altitude, I figure it's smart to drink more water. I find I can just take small sips as I'm hiking, and stay hydrated.
Yesterday, I climbed a tough route to the summit of a 13,000ft. mountain, just to sign in the register. My dog was along and needed water where there wasn't any. I was able to pour her water into a makeshift receptacle for her to get a drink, and had plenty of water for myself left over. I like it, and it was cheap.

Last edited:
Delorme InReach. (I generally am solo, so this is peace of mind for me and my wife.)

McHale backpack. Best large load carrier ever built. Size is adjustable for big or small loads.

FHF pro bino harness, kifaru pullouts, and although it's not new I come to appreciate my gps w/onxmaps chip more and more each year.

My FHF Bino Harness is awesome. Used to have one of those crisscross, stretchy ones and I can glass much longer now. Plus the little pockets on it are very handy.

My Sitka Timberline Pants are doing very well. Worth it, if you can afford them.

Merion Wool Base layers: I am now covered head to toe in this stuff. Again, pricey, but so worth it. I can be drenched in sweat and five minutes after I stop I am bone dry. Plus, it doesn't stink. You can wear it for 3 days and not notice anything. I found mine on sale for half price at Cabelas.

I picked up a pair of prana Zion pants. Can usually find them between $40-$50. They did great busting brush for a week in Colorado and are nice for guys who have a shorter inseam as they go down to a 30" inseam.

Not necessarily a gear recommendation, but I spent a good bit focusing on my macros and found the following formula worked for me.
120-1600-500

120 grams of protein (or more), 1600mg of ibuprofen, 500mg of caffeine....I think I really hit a sweet spot to keep grinding it our for 5 days or more.

shoulder strap kit for my FHF gear bino harness. Keeps everything tidy when gearing up or taking my pack on/off. Also loving my Kifaru Universal Gunbearer for my MR packs.

Not necessarily a gear recommendation, but I spent a good bit focusing on my macros and found the following formula worked for me.
120-1600-500

120 grams of protein (or more), 1600mg of ibuprofen, 500mg of caffeine....I think I really hit a sweet spot to keep grinding it our for 5 days or more.

500mg of caffeine??? geez. I live on 30-60/day. I'd prob die if I did that much. lol

Finally went to a full Sitka system this year. No complaints. Something to be said for only needing one set of clothing for a five-day hunt.

I also agree with the merino wool comments. Just get it. By far the best base layer out there.

OnX phone app has been up and down on my android phone, but once they get the execution dialed in, it will be a gamechanger.

I got the sitka bino harness. Probably not as customizable as the FHF but still far better than what many of us have put up with for awhile.

Sitka gaitors. they keep me dry and I have been tromping around moose bottoms.

Zamberlan Outfitter 980 gtx. best boots i have ever owned. Required no break in. Love them. Walked around in moose swamps for five days with almost constant rain and never had any leakage.

Merino Superfeet insoles. Gamechangers as far as comfort and insulation. Markedly improved performance when damp.

Mathews Halon 6. There are a lot of great bows being made today, but this is inarguably one of the best

I am surprised to see everybody raving about the Onx Maps. I have the app on my iphone and it doesn't work very well at all. Most of the time, even if I download the maps ahead of time, it take forever for the aerial photos to load if they load at all. A lot of the time the other layers such as the hunting districts or land ownership won't load at all. Anybody else having problems with the app?

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back