Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Garmin inreach HuntView questions

FrogFire7

Hi guys, wasn't quite sure where to post this, but basically will be using my new inreach for an upcoming elk season in Colorado.

I have on-x on my phone for the state, but my phone kind of sucks, and it's battery life even more so, especially in the cold. I plan to use it on a limited basis. Also, as some may know (I'm literally brand new to the inreach platform, maybe this is common knowledge), on-x is not compatible with the inreach, so I can't just buy a chip and use it on my gps.

My question is; has anyone here used the HuntView maps on their garmin? I'm mostly looking for the private boundary function.

Is it worth buying, or stick with on-x on the phone and carry a big power bank.

Thanks for any insight for this gps rookie. I'm moderately technically inclined but the Garmin interface is not super intuitive :)

I can't comment on the Inreach, but the onX on your phone is going to be pretty tough to beat. Past two seasons, my phone battery was pretty worn out, but on airplane mode it seemed to last longer than normal. I was in a similar situation and didn't trust my phone so I carried a handheld GPS. It was kind of a pain having waypoints saved in different places. My two cents is to just get the power bank and try keep the phone on airplane mode as much as possible.

Hi guys, wasn't quite sure where to post this, but basically will be using my new inreach for an upcoming elk season in Colorado.

I have on-x on my phone for the state, but my phone kind of sucks, and it's battery life even more so, especially in the cold. I plan to use it on a limited basis. Also, as some may know (I'm literally brand new to the inreach platform, maybe this is common knowledge), on-x is not compatible with the inreach, so I can't just buy a chip and use it on my gps.

My question is; has anyone here used the HuntView maps on their garmin? I'm mostly looking for the private boundary function.

Thanks for any insight for this gps rookie. I'm moderately technically inclined but the Garmin interface is not super intuitive :)
I just bought the inreach for my elk trip also. Agree not intuitive. I have an old note 3 phone that isn't active that I use. I would rather use the phone app (which works well) to text from the inreach. I have onxhunt on the same phone. I go off line and use the saved maps to show the private land. The inreach has gps features that I need to learn how to use. On the phone I use the onx "track my location" tool to track my routes but it uses the phone's GPS. I also have Strelok Pro loaded on the note 3. I need to charge about every 4 hours. I have a solar charger at base camp and a small portable charger in the back pack. I just got billed for the inreach subscription so I am ready to go. But I want to learn the GPS features on the inreach so I can turn the phone off when I don't need it.

Onx is the way to go for navigation. Get your battery replaced on your phone...It cost me $29 to replace my battery on my Iphone5 which I used exclusively with onx. I also have an Inreach but don't use it for navigation only for texting. Also, put your phone on Airplane and Low Power mode. It will last much longer.

Yeah, those are good advice but I'm going to be carrying the inreach everywhere already, plus it has a MUCH longer battery life than my phone. So if I can use the maps on that, it seems like an advantage.

Has anyone actually used the HuntView maps??

I admit I had to look up huntview to understand what it is. I have the inreach mini.

Yeah, seems it isn't very popular. I don't doubt that on-x is superior in use and features, especially with aerial views and some of the map layers.

I kind of planned to e scout with on-x... just seems like if the HuntView map works well with land boundaries and has usable other features it might be worth the purchase for simplucity's sake.

I have Onx on my phone and an Onx chip in my gps. I much prefer using my gps with the chip during my hunts than my phone.

I use onX map on iPhone. As previously mentioned save the areas you will be hunting to your phone and use it on airplane mode. Battery will last a lot longer that way. You can get great deals on power packs through Amazon.

I used the inReach mini on my recent elk hunt in the Gila. I’m not sure what the hunt view app is but the Earthmate app that you have to download to operate and text through your phone for the mini is not a great map to follow. Like everyone else is stating on this thread make your onX work even if you have to replace the battery on your phone.
On a side note the inReach mini is a great product although a bit pricey to operate. The piece of mind it provides on those extended long distance hunts is worth every penny.

Can't help with huntview, but a hot tip for your phone dying in cold weather is to make sure to keep it in your sleeping bag at night. I actually put all electronics with lithium batteries in my bag with me at night, cold weather sucks the life out of lithium like crazy. I carry my phone with onX, a gps with the onX chip and satellite maps dowloaded, and an inreach for communication.

I really want to get the new Garmin 66i. Looks to be a new version of the 64st and Inreach combined. Also has a sd card slot so you could use onx with it.

Combining the inreach with an SD card for on-x really would be great. Kind of a no brainer, really

I have an Inreach SE and pair it to my phone for messaging and some maps, I use both OnX and Basemap as mapping systems, I'm really looking at the Garmin 66i because it takes a chip for OnX or whatever. I'm just curious if anyone has experience with the 66i over the regular Inreach.

Can't comment on the Inreach but do you have your phone in airplane mode when using it for OnX only? Also keep it inside your coat so its warm. Both of those will extend battery life. Also a good portable battery pack is great for extending the day's charge and one can be had for less than $50.

I use both an inreach and on-x on my phone. I don’t think I could go without the on-x now that I’m used to using it. The inreach I got new last year so I’m not that experienced with it yet. I do find it much easier to send texts through the app on the phone than with the just inreach only.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back