Garmin in reach mini thoughts?

Johnny B

Will the mini connect to your phone so you send the message through the phone? Or do send it through the garmin itself?

You download the Earthmate app on your phone, then you connect to the mini via Bluetooth.

To send a message you open the app and type out your message, the app uses your address book so you can send a message to anyone on your phone. There is a character limit per message. The mini transmits the message.

Clear unobstructed sky it works a bit slower than texting but not much, various conditions can cause messages to send way slower.

Best practice for battery is to send the message and then turn off your phones Bluetooth. If you keep them linked it will rapidly drain the battery of both devices.

Ok thats what I was hoping. Good to know on the turning the Bluetooth off for battery life thanks. Do you have any experience with the full size model? Is it worth saving a buck and getting the mini or going with larger model?

I didn’t know that about keeping them paired. Explain me why my batter life sucked on my elk hunt.

Have not had battery issues on the mini, even when paired all day. Have had issues with messages not syncing between mini and phone, even when paired. Can even do the "get new messages" and they don't get pushed over to the phone, but you can see them on the mini. Restarting everything seems to make them eventually sync up, but it's pretty annoying.

I ran into the same problem as marksjeep. Almost missed some messages because they refused to transfer to my phone.

I have an iPhone XR, no issues syncing or pairing, messages are checked every 30 minutes.

I didn’t know that about keeping them paired. Explain me why my batter life sucked on my elk hunt.
Cold temps can also have a negative impact on battery life. I tend to keep my phone inside my insulating layer(s) and notice a big difference vs. having it in an outer pocket or my pack when temps get down into the teens and below

Run your iPhones in airplane mode it will prolong battery life significantly. Bring a small solar charger for keeping a charge or turn everything off after using it like wllm said above.

to clarify, in battery saving airplane mode onX still works plus the phone and inreach are connected via Bluetooth.

these issues may explain why some of you are experiencing short battery life.

Last edited:
I too found that sending messages often took longer than I would have liked. Part of it is being so used to how fast regular text messages send so there’s that. But still, there were times that it would take several minutes for a short message, even one of the inreach presets to be sent. The latency issues were definitely with the inreach device and not my phone - it didn’t matter if I sent via the Earthmate app or the inreach itself.

Even with the sometimes poor latency and occasional sync issues, I’m a fan and a believer in the inreach. I won’t be leaving home without it

I'm going to check for updates on S7, Earthmate, and the mini. Heading back out Tuesday for a few days chasing cow elk, will need to use it again.

I have a mini that I use with my (antique) iPhone 6. No issues with the device or the Earthmate app, really like it.

I just put mine through it’s first real paces a few weeks ago in NM.

• I had no issues with battery life (iPhone X) even leaving it paired all day and texting way more than I needed to. I still concur to unpair it if you’re not actively using it, but if you’re lazy like me, it was still OK.
  • If I refreshed the earthmate app manually (just going to a different menu item and then back to messages worked for this purpose), it would sync Messages immediately
  • The premium ($1) weather reports were great and not something I thought I would use. We could basically watch the storm come and reacted accordingly when it moved faster.

I just put mine through it’s first real paces a few weeks ago in NM.

• I had no issues with battery life (iPhone X) even leaving it paired all day and texting way more than I needed to. I still concur to unpair it if you’re not actively using it, but if you’re lazy like me, it was still OK.
  • If I refreshed the earthmate app manually (just going to a different menu item and then back to messages worked for this purpose), it would sync Messages immediately
  • The premium ($1) weather reports were great and not something I thought I would use. We could basically watch the storm come and reacted accordingly when it moved faster.
To the battery comment, my phone and inreach will last an entire day paired, but will end the day at 10-20%, with good battery management I can get by with lots of texting and a small Ankr charger on a week long trip.

I hunt with my son he has the garmin in reach mini he clips it on the back of his back pack. He has some type of garmin watch and it pairs with the in reach . Its neat as heck, works great its a game changer for saftey and communication. I have the Spot x its works ok too!

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back